Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

niv1234's summer bucket list Watch

ReputationRep:

So, I've worked out that I have 9 weeks of nothing to do before I have to go back to school in September. Here are some of the things I wish to do this summer, I will probably add more later and write updates on my progress.

:flower2: Learn crochet
    :flower2: Finish reading the pile of books in my room and then maybe read more books
    :flower2: Do some knitting
    :flower2: Learn hand embroidery
    :flower2: Organise my room better- it looks like a disaster zone as of right now
    :flower2: Watch lots of documentaries-I'm going to try to watch one every day.

I will probably think of more later.

Have a great Summer everyone!

:flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2::flower2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really interested in anthropology so I watched a really informative documentary on youtube called 'nova:decoding neanderthals' and took some notes. I hope to learn more on this topic.

Name:  4ac7134120b75de1e9224fdfbee26de110761e31.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  29.2 KB

It showed us how the scientists mapped out the neanderthal genome from some leg bones found in a cave in Croatia and compared it to different human genomes. This showed that most people share 1-4% of their DNA with Neanderthals. It also showed that Neanderthals were much more evolved than people previously thought them to be and that they even shared the same gene for language that we have called 'foxp2'.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought of some more :-

:flower2:Learn how to do stuff to my hair
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think I've been doing the same hairstyle everyday since I was at least 8
    :flower2:Do some studying- when I can be bothered
    :flower2: Watch lots of TV
    :flower2: Write in my diary everyday
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by niv1234)
    I've thought of some more :-

:flower2:Learn how to do stuff to my hair
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think I've been doing the same hairstyle everyday since I was at least 8
    :flower2:Do some studying- when I can be bothered
    :flower2: Watch lots of TV
    :flower2: Write in my diary everyday
    Good luck Niv nitting, crochet, embroidery.. you are an old soul :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Man, those flower emojis are so obnoxious.

Isn't crochet, knitting & embroidery pretty much the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Good luck Niv nitting, crochet, embroidery.. you are an old soul :borat:
    Thank you and I'm actually 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Man, those flower emojis are so obnoxious.

Isn't crochet, knitting & embroidery pretty much the same thing?
    No they are completely different things. Whats wrong with the flowers? I actually like them.

ReputationRep:
    I watched a really good documentary today on BBC iPlayer called Forces of Nature with Brian Cox. I watched the first episode today and I will probably watch the next ones too. It had a lot of information about how things like the laws of physics can be applied to everyday phenomenon like snowflakes, icebergs and the hexagonal structure of honeycombs.

I found out lots of interesting things like ice is the only common solid that floats on its own liquid due to being less dense than liquid water and how icebergs and snowflakes are formed.
    Name:  9780007488827.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  27.7 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Good luck !
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So I've been working at the post office for the past few days. I don't even know why, it wasn't on my list of things to do. I've mostly been stacking shelves and working at the till as it's a post office that also has a little shop. I can't believe how many people have expected me to sell them cigarettes and alcohol. I'm only 16, that would be illegal!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I found out that some cigarettes are stronger than others. That is a revelation to me. Also apparently some cigarettes stink worse than others (according to some customers, I thought they all stank the same.

ReputationRep:
    So my knitting is going really slowly. I was knitting a green jumper for my mum, I had done quite a bit. But then one day in March I was on the train with my friend. I was so absorbed in our conversation that I left the bag with my knitting behind. Oops. Weeks later, I got a postcard from TFL saying they couldn't fin it. . Then I left knitting completely during exams.

But I've started knitting again. I'm using the same light green wool to knit a hat, but it's going so slowly though. I don't know when I will be finished. I've made one of these before and it took me a little over a week but this one is taking months.

Here is the free pattern if anyone is interested:-

http://www.purlsoho.com/create/2014/...ic-cuffed-hat/

It looks like this and its quick and simple:-
    Name:  classic hat pic.PNG
Views: 58
Size:  248.2 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But I probably won't bother with the pom pom, I made one last time and it completely fell apart. Also it
    looked like it belonged to a 5 year old according to my mother.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well done !! Make sure to keep updating xx

ReputationRep:
    I've still been working at the post office, so I've been quite busy. I've been watching TV though. At the moment I'm watching the Vampire Diaries, the Originals and Once Upon a Time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by niv1234)
    So my knitting is going really slowly. I was knitting a green jumper for my mum, I had done quite a bit. But then one day in March I was on the train with my friend. I was so absorbed in our conversation that I left the bag with my knitting behind. Oops. Weeks later, I got a postcard from TFL saying they couldn't fin it. . Then I left knitting completely during exams.

But I've started knitting again. I'm using the same light green wool to knit a hat, but it's going so slowly though. I don't know when I will be finished. I've made one of these before and it took me a little over a week but this one is taking months.

Here is the free pattern if anyone is interested:-

http://www.purlsoho.com/create/2014/...ic-cuffed-hat/

It looks like this and its quick and simple:-
    Name:  classic hat pic.PNG
Views: 58
Size:  248.2 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But I probably won't bother with the pom pom, I made one last time and it completely fell apart. Also it
    looked like it belonged to a 5 year old according to my mother.
    Have you finished knitting the hat ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Have you finished knitting the hat ?
    Not yet. It's going really slowly.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I almost completely forgot that I started this thread. I've been quite busy in the past week. I've been getting back to reading books, although it's going really slowly. At the moment I'm almost halfway through a book called A Witch in Winter by Ruth Warburton, it's really interesting.Also, I know this wasn't on my original list of things to do but I looked on a useful volunteering website called vlnspired and now I have started to volunteer in a British Heart Foundation shop. It was my 3rd day today, it feels nice actually doing something rather than being stuck at home all day

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.