Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling with deciding my A Level options for this September. I haven't got my GCSE results yet (obviously) so nothing is set in stone yet. I am currently going to be taking Maths, Physics, Spanish and Business Studies. I do not know what career I want yet, so am choosing subjects I enjoy and can do well in. The only one I am not sure of is Business Studies because I did not take it at GCSE and is one of the only A Levels never required for a university course. The options to replace it would be Chemistry, Biology or Geography. I feel Chemistry would be my best option because I love maths subjects (hence the physics and maths). Which would give me the most options given my undecided career and be the most beneficial and impressive?

ReputationRep:
    Further maths over business studies?

ReputationRep:
    dont forget you can always drop it after AS year

ReputationRep:
    Defo take Maths and Chemistry..

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Geography are both good too..Spanish as a language is okay.You could end up taking Maths, Chemistry and Geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cscp13)
    I am struggling with deciding my A Level options for this September. I haven't got my GCSE results yet (obviously) so nothing is set in stone yet. I am currently going to be taking Maths, Physics, Spanish and Business Studies. I do not know what career I want yet, so am choosing subjects I enjoy and can do well in. The only one I am not sure of is Business Studies because I did not take it at GCSE and is one of the only A Levels never required for a university course. The options to replace it would be Chemistry, Biology or Geography. I feel Chemistry would be my best option because I love maths subjects (hence the physics and maths). Which would give me the most options given my undecided career and be the most beneficial and impressive?
    Have you considered economics over business? I take both and Economics is much more interesting, not for everyone though!

ReputationRep:
    I strongly recommend Chemistry. Economics is a good option too if your school offers it.

ReputationRep:
    Replace business studies with chemistry

ReputationRep:

You say you love maths so why not choose further maths? Or you could try computer science if that's any interest to you? there's quite alot maths involved as well

ReputationRep:
    Definitlely take maths. AS maths is B-A* GCSE maths really but A2 is quite a big jump. I chose physics for AS but dropped it after 3 months since I found 4 a leves too difficiult and physics is one of the hardest a levels. If you're passionate for physics you should take it. You vould do a level business, not doing it at GCSE is not a big deal as most text books quickly cover GCSE concepts and you could easily look online and youtube if you're struggling. Chemistry is a really difficult A level I think, you need a very in depth understanding and need to be able to look outside the box. It's not a big deal if you dont know what you want to do in the future. I honestly did not know either. You still have two years to choose a degree and if your a levels dont fit the requirement you can always do a foundation course

ReputationRep:
    I feel Chemistry would be my best option because I love maths subjects (hence the physics and maths). Which would give me the most options given my undecided career and be the most beneficial and impressive?
    Replace Business Studies with Chemistry or Further Maths. You could do both Chemistry and Further Maths if you're keen.

ReputationRep:
    They don't offer further maths in my school, otherwise I would be doing that!

ReputationRep:
    Then go for chemistry or computer science or economics. Since economics is quite quantitative and more interesting than business.

ReputationRep:
    They don't offer further maths in my school, otherwise I would be doing that!
    Have you looked into the Further Mathematics Support Programme (FMSP)? It is also quite possible to self-teach Further Maths - I myself have done it.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Chemistry! A strong subject which will look impressive whatever course you apply for, I think.
    Although, in my AS Levels I did Maths, the 3 natural sciences and Latin. I found Chemistry the hardest and still did as I went on to A2. That could be the spec our school did, but it is still a very hard A Level. If you can do well in it definitely do it!

Oh as for Business Studies, my friend did A Level Business Studies and didn't do GCSE in it, it was absolutely fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.