Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Army watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musical_shoes)
    Erm. So would you join up if, say, England was being invaded?
    No, infact Id want to join less if this was the case..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    No, infact Id want to join less if this was the case..
    so you would just sit and watch women being raped and children being killed in the streets and stuff

(Original post by britishseapower)
    so you would just sit and watch women being raped and children being killed in the streets and stuff
    Just because England do that in wars with people doesn't mean they would do it to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Just because England do that in wars with people doesn't mean they would do it to us.
    Can you quantify that remark?

You may not be aware of the full facts, but the British Army follow a code you may have heard of.. it's called the Geneva Convention. This prohibits the attack, use, or persecution of civilians or other non-combatants in a conflict area. All soldiers are required to be conversant with the Geneva Convention and have training annually on the Laws of Armed Conflict.

We are a civilised democratic nation, and our forces are there to serve and protect in the name of peace. Granted, there are a few bad apples but they are always dealt with severely if they commit a crime against humanity.

How many other nations in the world would treat a wounded enemy soldier before one of their own if the injury was more severe.

Be aware, the atrocities seen on TV of late have NOT been carried out by British forces... we do not chop peoples heads off live on TV, torture prisoners, rape women or needlessly blow up schools!

Enough said, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Im planning on going over seas next year to join the British Army

I can pass a canadian medical, wonder if i can pass a British Army medical?

ReputationRep:
    Not as a regular soldier. I would consider it as a General or similar but nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Not as a regular soldier. I would consider it as a General or similar but nothing else.
    Well to become a General you have to rise up the ranks, they don't just appoint people into the highest rank

ReputationRep:
    dont think its my cup of tea, but i can understand why people want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishseapower)
    The only reason I failed it was due to a knee problem that I developed whilst running in a bid to be fit for the Navy
    How did they discover your knee problem?

ReputationRep:
    The medical core is very well paid (£35k for a PRHO) but I would not be fir enough, and I hear that many army Drs leave as it is so bad.

ReputationRep:
    No,Can't say I would.

ReputationRep:
    Uh.. I might consider it.. if I could be in some elite and special section of the army

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    The medical core is very well paid (£35k for a PRHO) but I would not be fir enough, and I hear that many army Drs leave as it is so bad.

I was always under the impression that the majority of military doctors were those who failed in civilian life. Some of the sawbones' that I've come across have been testament to that... or maybe I've just been unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    I was always under the impression that the majority of military doctors were those who failed in civilian life. Some of the sawbones' that I've come across have been testament to that... or maybe I've just been unlucky.
    I'm not sure - i have no real first had knowledge. In trainign grades the pay is hgher than he NHS ( NHS PRHOs are about £10-7k less), but the top army pay for a consultant is about £105k - Many civilian consultants beat this with a 'portfolio' carrer.
    It seems that the equipment the army Drs have to use is not as good as NHS/ private hospital and so many get fed up. Of course, given they are in the army attitudes will be different to what we are used to outside.

ReputationRep:
    Points well made REME-Bod. I have just left the Army in order to study for a degree in medicine. I didn't leave because I was dissatisfied or for any other reason - I love the Army, but realised I had to take a different direction with my life after achieving everything i wanted to.

I wish some people would think before they post - I get the impression noone knows what the Army is really like except for those who have been in. Yes there is shouting and pissing around. Yes there is being told what to do, but can anyone here tell me a job in which some bugger isn't telling you what to do?!

I must admit, to get paid doing a job you enjoy can't be a bad thing! Also, the Army contribute towards the freedon of speech we all have here and theat isn't such a bad thing....

ReputationRep:
    I would join but only to develop weapons, which they contract out a bit these days, or at a very senior level where there are tons of people gaurding me

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would ever join the army, unless it were like an end of the world matter like in Lord of the Rings or something...

ReputationRep:
    dont think so...

not as a regular soldier anyway

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.