The Student Room Group

Political Compass Thread

Scroll to see replies

Well if everyone else is doing it....

8A7E62AB-A32C-4710-BEF7-CFE00BA5F38F.jpg.jpeg
Personally I don’t think 4 response types is enough and the questions don’t accurately reflect where you are but lol to all the people who think I’m some hard right person.
Reply 22
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Are you an anarcho-capitalist?

In a vacuum, I'd argue that a state is nothing more than an unjustifiable exertion of will, but practically a state will arise anyway. In the words of Nozick, "private defense and court firms would only represent the interests of those who pay them enough", so I'd be in favour of a night watchmen state.
lol.JPG

Eh, I always thought of myself as a centralist.

There should be a middle ground option for all of the questions though.
I did one a while back, I came out as a right-wing libertarian. But if im being honest I don't hold much faith in this test.
Original post by Raposa
In a vacuum, I'd argue that a state is nothing more than an unjustifiable exertion of will, but practically a state will arise anyway. In the words of Nozick, "private defense and court firms would only represent the interests of those who pay them enough", so I'd be in favour of a night watchmen state.

I've never come across the term 'night-watchmen state'. Mind giving me a run down on what it is, and how it differs from Libertarianism and Anarcho-capitalism?
Reply 26
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
I've never come across the term 'night-watchmen state'. Mind giving me a run down on what it is, and how it differs from Libertarianism and Anarcho-capitalism?

Sure. In essence, a night watchman state is one that maintains the 'rules of the game', if you will. An American Philosopher called Robert Nozick coined the term. Since, in an anarcho-capitalist society, power would inevitably become yet another commodity to be bought and sold, you'd end up with a monopoly on power anyway, though in the form of a corporation instead of a government. Therefore, it is justifiable to have a democratic 'night watchman state' that ensures equal rights and equal protection under the law.
I suppose that, as an individual, I don't differ much from average libertarians, though I have many left leaning ideals, like eradication of religion, feminism, etc.
chart.pngalways considered myself pretty politically and socially liberal, but I feel like this makes it look a little more extreme than I'd consider myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending