Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im goin off to medical school,and its goona cost my dad lots of money, and when i say lots i mean LOTS, im gonna be a non-UK citizen studying at Sheffield Uni, and well, i just fell guilty having my dad pay all that money, is it normal to fell guilty? Do you think this is the case coz i dont wanna be a Doc, but i just dont know it yet? hell im goin crazy here, i dunno what i wanna do, being a doc has been my dream for about 6 years now, since i was a "knee high to a grass hopper"

So, is anyone else having these doubts or feelings, or is just me.

P.s. This DOES not belong in the UNI. section, im not asking about the UNI., you think i would apply to it with ou knowing everything about it??

_KOH_

ReputationRep:
    Well, that is one of the big burdens of being a parent, paying for your child's education.

ReputationRep:
    no...quite simply....ur dad doesnt have to pay but he is obviously willing and able to...he will have a right to be proud to have a doctor as a son in a few years time thnx to his money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    no...quite simply....ur dad doesnt have to pay but he is obviously willing and able to...he will have a right to be proud to have a doctor as a son in a few years time thnx to his money

Evem if it cost him $50,000/ year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    i am only trying to make u feel better...he doesnt have to pay .....if u r that bothered, tell him u dont want to be a doctor (earning $100k a year and so able to pay abck v. quickly) and u would rather not use ur intelligence wisely

No guilt required if your dad says he's ok with it, it's his choice - he's old enough to make it on his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    Im goin off to medical school,and its goona cost my dad lots of money, and when i say lots i mean LOTS, im gonna be a non-UK citizen studying at Sheffield Uni, and well, i just fell guilty having my dad pay all that money, is it normal to fell guilty? Do you think this is the case coz i dont wanna be a Doc, but i just dont know it yet? hell im goin crazy here, i dunno what i wanna do, being a doc has been my dream for about 6 years now, since i was a "knee high to a grass hopper"

P.s. This DOES not belong in the UNI. section, im not asking about the UNI., you think i would apply to it with ou knowing everything about it??

_KOH_
    i wouls feel guilty but it's only natural!..........you can always pay him back!

ReputationRep:
    Personaly I think it will make him feel proud that he was able to help you become a doctor (as will you being a doctor in the first place). If it still bugs you when you have become a doctor you can always pay him back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    pay him back the money laters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    Yeh I have those doubts too. I'm a non-UK citizen and I view Uni more as a passport to my career than anything else - a totally bad attitude I know. Ah well, I just hope it pays off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)

_KOH_
    I thought that you had posted that you were going to some provate college in Malaysia that was cheaper than studying over here :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    if he can afford it then there's no reason to feel guilty, if he's been made homeless and jobless as a result with mounting debts and being forced to busk in the street, then feel guilty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I thought that you had posted that you were going to some provate college in Malaysia that was cheaper than studying over here :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Hmmm.. was that IMU by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hmmm.. was that IMU by any chance?
    That's the one!

ReputationRep:
    That's the one!
    Hmmmm.. yeh I think I heard that too. I know it very well since I'm from that part of the world.

I think it's one of those twinning med programmes... you do a couple of years in Malaysia then go to the UK. Perhaps he's doing that?

ReputationRep:
    When the hell did i say that, i looked into it, but there is no meidcal school there, and beofre you acuse me, please say where i said that! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    When the hell did i say that, i looked into it, but there is no meidcal school there, and beofre you acuse me, please say where i said that! :mad:
    I thought both you and Malaysian Dude had both said you were off to IMU...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)

_KOH_
    i'm in your position too! except i'll be in london (grades willing) which is more expensive :eek: !!!
    and i do feel v guilty but im incredibly lucky to have my parents agree with my choice of medicine and london and they are more than willing to support me financially. the best thing is, they don't expect me to pay them back coz they know that if i were to, i'd be in debt for 30 years of my working life.
    if your dad is willing to spend that amount of money on u, just be happy and grateful! he knows it's worth it!

i think Malaysiandude said he was going to IMU, i don't remember KOH saying that though...but i haven't been here for long anyway...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.