Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I would like to pursue a career in medicine. I know that I want to take chemistry and biology but I am stuck between latin and maths for my third option, (I will be doing the new A levels so can only take three subjects in year 12).
    I am predicted As in both latin or maths so for me it is not a matter of difficulty but more, which will make me a better applicant
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Latin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maryam_bb_)
    Hi! I would like to pursue a career in medicine. I know that I want to take chemistry and biology but I am stuck between latin and maths for my third option, (I will be doing the new A levels so can only take three subjects in year 12).
    I am predicted As in both latin or maths so for me it is not a matter of difficulty but more, which will make me a better applicant
    Thank you so much!
    Whatever you enjoy more!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Used to learn Latin for a while, and all I can say is that it's a dead subject.
    Defo Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Both are usually seen as good for medicine so I'd say go with whichever one you'd enjoy more

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Maths. Maths will teach you much more than Latin ever will.

ReputationRep:
    Latin! Really enjoyed it at AS

ReputationRep:
    Latin makes you more well rounded but Maths is way more versatile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths seems more useful
    I love Latin tho. I'm more likely to get and A* in Latin

ReputationRep:
    Calculus >dead ancient language.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maths gives you a lot more options if you didn't end up going into medicine.

For medicine, either work no preference. Cambridge prefer maths, UCL prefer a "contrasting subject" i.e. latin, no other uni states a preference.

ReputationRep:
    I did both at AS. While I loved them both, doing Maths seems to be more popular for medicine, plus it will help with the sciences you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    Medical schools will appreciate maths more but you should take whichever you enjoy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It seriously won't matter which, as long as you get the A.

I would controversially argue that Latin would be more useful. I haven't had to differentiate any equations, but I've certainly wished a few times (and so have my friends) that I learned latin at school. It would certainly make learning anatomy a lot easier!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.