Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What steps should I take now to improve my grades in third year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi StudentRoom,

I'm currently studying History and Politics and i'm about to enter onto my third year of study, my second year has been a disappointment ending with a mid 2:2.

I have no excuses and have vowed to make sure that I do everything I can to succeed in third year and hopefully graduate with a 2:1 or beyond.

I'm writing this post as a way to ask people who have been through a similar experience for advice, or even just general tips on getting over failure and attaining goals within University.

-What steps or changes of habit have helped to improve your university achievement?

-Are there any books you recommend that can help with the technical side humanities based subjects, particulary regarding essay writing?

I'm aware that I've got a long road ahead of me, and that there is no quick fix solution all i'm asking for is a way to prepare for that road.

Thank you for taking the time to read this
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I can offer you some advice. Having achieved a first in all my modules in my final year having been set back in my 2nd year. Graduating with a first.

Your mentality needs to be positive throughout the year so aim high. None of this giving up mumbo jumbo, you don't want to graduate with a Desmond so aim for a first so you don't get too complacent.

As it is your final year you will have a dissertation to write, this should be your main priority as it most likely contributes more towards your final grade. With the rest of your modules, you should put in a lot of effort to make sure your coursework and exams are all achieving at least 70%. Try to get marking schemes or guides for the coursework to try and get an idea on how to achieve a particular mark.

You should also keep pestering your lecturer, no matter how annoying you are, to try and give you feedback or pointers on achieving a good mark for the coursework. This means trying to fish for answers or squeezing tips out of them. Yes it will piss them off but you'll get good marks as a result, it worked for me every time.

Also organise your time and coursework into chunks and set deadlines. Say you have a 3000 word essay to write. Vow to get the first 1000 words done by the 8th of July (for example) and then the 2nd 1000 words done by the 15th July. By doing this you're giving yourself a window to complete a part by and you'll feel more relaxed. Of course, this means you have to start your coursework on the week it's released, this is a must if you don't want to fall behind!

Also do not panic, if you start to rush things, you will end up making more mistakes so just stay calm and do your best. Work with your friends, help each other but don't get too distracted (if you're the kind of person that gets easily distracted then skip this part) and make sure you don't overload yourself with work, take breaks every now and then but don't overdo it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girv05)
    Hi StudentRoom,

I'm currently studying History and Politics and i'm about to enter onto my third year of study, my second year has been a disappointment ending with a mid 2:2.

I have no excuses and have vowed to make sure that I do everything I can to succeed in third year and hopefully graduate with a 2:1 or beyond.

I'm writing this post as a way to ask people who have been through a similar experience for advice, or even just general tips on getting over failure and attaining goals within University.

-What steps or changes of habit have helped to improve your university achievement?

-Are there any books you recommend that can help with the technical side humanities based subjects, particulary regarding essay writing?

I'm aware that I've got a long road ahead of me, and that there is no quick fix solution all i'm asking for is a way to prepare for that road.

Thank you for taking the time to read this
    Hey! I agree with all that UWS said.

Also, the trajectory of the vast majority of humanities students is that they'll do better in final year than second year, as they take the opportunity to hone their skills in original argumentation, research and analysis. Loads of people I know went from 2.2s to 2.1s and from 2.1s to 1sts.

So,as a fellow Humanities student, I suggest that to get First Class marks you need to really be coming up with an original argument, maybe offering a challenge or nuance to some of the seminal works on the given topic. So read as much as you can on the topic, piece together the evidence and find a compelling, original argument that you can sustain throughout the essay and back up with evidence. In my second year, my European history lecturer told us that our argument "runs through the essay like the backbone of a mammal, holding it together" (unusual simile but you get the drift). He was damn right though. Once I started to find my own voice and argument in each assignment, drawing on and challenging existing analysis, I started to get high first class marks in every essay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.