Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an AS level student who is very interested in applying to Cambridge for medicine. I have the nesscary grades but am not from a medical background. To increase my chances of succeeding at the interviews I want to apply for a course which will help me prepare. If any of you guys went to any courses which you found helpful please can you post the link to their site below.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Any help from the school?

Many of these private courses will be absurdly expensive and the vast majority of those going into the interviews will not have done them, just so you know. I'm also not convinced being from a medical family is a significant advantage - the questions they ask are not about medicine, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Any help from the school?

Many of these private courses will be absurdly expensive and the vast majority of those going into the interviews will not have done them, just so you know. I'm also not convinced being from a medical family is a significant advantage - the questions they ask are not about medicine, after all.
    Hi,

Thank you for replying so fast! From what I've heard I think most the questions are scientific and thus having parents who have studied biology and chemistry at such a high level (because they will have done a medical degree) will be an advantage because they can pass on some of that knowledge.

If this is not the case do you know any questions which they may ask.

PS. Are you studying medicine at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily1973)
    Hi,

Thank you for replying so fast! From what I've heard I think most the questions are scientific and thus having parents who have studied biology and chemistry at such a high level (because they will have done a medical degree) will be an advantage because they can pass on some of that knowledge.

If this is not the case do you know any questions which they may ask.

PS. Are you studying medicine at Cambridge?
    Basic biology and chem is probably a bit removed from what senior doctors do every day. I guess it might be good to have educated parents in general though yes, for a list of reasons which interview help is probably towards the bottom of.

They focus on basic science questions, aiming to get you see your logical approach to the answer. They will intend to ask questions you don't know the answer to. There may not even be an answer - they just want to see you think.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Just wondering how you prepared for the interview then

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Revise your A Level courses in the sciences and maths.

Be prepared to talk about work experience, and anything else from your personal statement etc. Also be prepared for typical medicine interview questions, such as why you want to study medicine, or any topical medical issues.

ReputationRep:
    Being from medical family will not help
    Practice with your teacher, career advisor in school and if you can afford, go on a course. A course can not give you success by magic but some people feel better if they have been in a course.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any tips in terms if preparing. I already know my a levels inside out, read the new scientist, keep up with the health news and read books. My school doesn't offer much interview help and the people who I can talk to are really my parents both of whom haven't had higher education.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any tips in terms if preparing. I already know my a levels inside out, read the new scientist, keep up with the health news and read books. My school doesn't offer much interview help and the people who I can talk to are really my parents both of whom haven't had higher education.
    Sounds like you are doing the right sort of things... Maybe ask your school for mock interviews from a biology teacher?

ReputationRep:
    Make a list of questions, available online and speak as if you have you are in the interview room. I am not sure what I will do but will give it my best

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with courses
    Read widely and inquisitively
    Ask yourself - why are things like they are
    Then you will succeed, vs just learning by rote - they can tell the difference

I am an AS level student who is very interested in applying to Cambridge for medicine. I have the nesscary grades but am not from a medical background. To increase my chances of succeeding at the interviews I want to apply for a course which will help me prepare. If any of you guys went to any courses which you found helpful please can you post the link to their site below.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do a course unless you're really rich and all that money means nothing to you.

The main thing is that you need to be able to talk logically and clearly about scientific topics. All those 'what if' questions you know? You'll have done the BMAT by then - I would say many of the interview questions are basically extended versions of some of those.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Good morning,

Definitely take the advice of posters above and make sure you know your science syllabuses from A levels and GCSEs.

For universities like Cambridge and Oxford, the more traditional style interviews are designed to make you think outside of the box.

Tutors want to see you talk through your ideas, outline your thought process, cope under the pressure of tricky questions and develop your answer.

Try googling example Cambridge Medicine interview questions. We did that and got things like:

"How can a reindeer tell the difference between spring and autumn?"
    "How many genes are there in the genome of a plant?"

You can see more questions on this website here.

We would recommend that when you're comfortable with your science knowledge, have a think about some extra reading to give you a little extra insight. You never know what questions they might ask you! We have a great Medicine reading list here in this free blog.

We also recommend reading Richard Lehman's Weekly Review on the BMJ website. The reviews are of scientific/medical research and are highly informative as well as funny!

We hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.