Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying for languages at Cambridge, but science at my 4 other choices. How is it possible to write a personal statement to cover both options? Is it possible to apply for Cambridge separately?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Field_H)
    I'm considering applying for languages at Cambridge, but science at my 4 other choices. How is it possible to write a personal statement to cover both options? Is it possible to apply for Cambridge separately?
    It isn't possible to write a personal statement that covers both science and modern languages; you'd most likely end up being rejected by everyone. Nor is it possible to apply to Cambridge (or any university) separately. If you want to study both science and languages then I suggest you find a science degree that involves some language study/a year abroad (e.g. BSc Biology with French).

ReputationRep:
    Just to counter what's been said above, I think it's entirely possible to write a languages/science personal statement, within reason. My PS works for both languages and computer science and I'll likely be applying to both/joint courses. However my area of interest is in computational linguisics, ie. the intersection of languages and computing. I have one paragraph on computing, one on languages, and one of both.

Also, I think you can write a separate personal statement for Cambridge in your SAQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatllbeme)
    Just to counter what's been said above, I think it's entirely possible to write a languages/science personal statement, within reason. My PS works for both languages and computer science and I'll likely be applying to both/joint courses. However my area of interest is in computational linguisics, ie. the intersection of languages and computing. I have one paragraph on computing, one on languages, and one of both.

Also, I think you can write a separate personal statement for Cambridge in your SAQ.
    Yes but the OP isn't applying to joint courses - they're applying to MML at Cambridge and science elsewhere. So there's no way of really merging the two as you do in your PS, because as far as the OP is concerned it's either or. I don't think it's feasible, especially given how MML at Cambridge is a very traditional, literature-heavy course. Not exactly easy to reconcile that with a wish to do science for your 4 other choices...

To OP: why exactly are you so undecided? it kind of seems like you want to do MML at Cambridge for the prestige of going to Cambridge, but feel that it is perhaps easier to get into Cambridge for MML rather than for science. Or maybe you actually prefer MML but feel that it's only worthwhile doing it at Cambridge, because science is generally more prestigious/employable etc. In either case you need to seriously examine your motivations for choosing your subject (be that science or MML).

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.