Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Working during Masters. Has anyone done it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am starting a masters course in Sept 2016 in Aston University and I wonder if it is a good idea to work (only part-time, 6-10hrs a week, £40-£67/week, Fri/Sat/Sun 6pm - Required{but is usually till 8 or 9pm}) while studying. I've worked the entire undergrad and managed a great grade, however masters will be a huge step-up. So I wonder if anyone has managed to pull off a very good grade (2.1 and upwards) and has also worked during his/hers time as a postgraduate.

I only wonder because initially I was going to quit my current part time job amid the fear that I need to focus 100% of my energy into obtaining 2.1 or 1st Class in masters, but at the same time I do not want to be begging my parents for money.

Any advice?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayPolo)
    Hey guys,

I am starting a masters course in Sept 2016 in Aston University and I wonder if it is a good idea to work (only part-time, 6-10hrs a week, £40-£67/week, Fri/Sat/Sun 6pm - Required{but is usually till 8 or 9pm}) while studying. I've worked the entire undergrad and managed a great grade, however masters will be a huge step-up. So I wonder if anyone has managed to pull off a very good grade (2.1 and upwards) and has also worked during his/hers time as a postgraduate.

I only wonder because initially I was going to quit my current part time job amid the fear that I need to focus 100% of my energy into obtaining 2.1 or 1st Class in masters, but at the same time I do not want to be begging my parents for money.

Any advice?

Thank you
    Firstly at Masters level the grading is different, you don't have 2:1 or first e.c.t yo have Pass, Merit, Distinction, although some unis just have Pass & Distinction. But working part time shouldn't be too much of an issue if you are organised, my coursemate did and got a distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Firstly at Masters level the grading is different, you don't have 2:1 or first e.c.t yo have Pass, Merit, Distinction, although some unis just have Pass & Distinction. But working part time shouldn't be too much of an issue if you are organised, my coursemate did and got a distinction.
    I had no idea its graded like this. You showed me fire! ;D

In that case it is sorted! I am glad to hear someone has managed to pull it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayPolo)
    I had no idea its graded like this. You showed me fire! ;D

In that case it is sorted! I am glad to hear someone has managed to pull it off.
    Yes, I mean obviously its easier if you have low contact hours so can do most of your work when you you want rather than being stuck in a lab all day.

ReputationRep:
    Most Masters requires more self-study than actual attendance of classes.

Therefore if it is under 10 hours per week it should be more than doable.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.