Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1. What do you think about people who doesn't speak English as their official language?

2. Where do you think they speak best English, what country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxgirlxx)
    1. What do you think about people who doesn't speak English as their official language?

America, no probably somewhere like que bec in canada or france....

1. I don't care that they don't speak English at all, why would i?
    2. England.

ReputationRep:

I'd have to say that until around 1970 English was spoken most correctly in Australia. Just for the basic pronunciation of key words. 'bottle' being a classic example. In English TV shows, I've gathered that bOHel is the way it is done, where it is still bOTel over here.

(Original post by Sire)
    I'd have to say that until around 1970 English was spoken most correctly in Australia. Just for the basic pronunciation of key words. 'bottle' being a classic example. In English TV shows, I've gathered that bOHel is the way it is done, where it is still bOTel over here.
    Some of us can talk properly thank you. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

1) that they are foreign.

2) the UK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaTTT)
    America, no probably somewhere like que bec in canada or france....
    I'd have to rule out Canada, they generally pronounce words the same as Americans. Some examples would be fast, glass, grass etc Also the way they will say eyerack for Iraq etc. They just don't pronounce words properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Some of us can talk properly thank you. :rolleyes:
    I was speaking generally. But to add fuel to fire, as part of Britain, we have to include England with Scotland, Ireland and Wales. To be perfectly honest, I barely understand a Scotsman speaking English and the Irish are little better.

(Original post by Sire)
    To be perfectly honest, I barely understand a Scotsman speaking English and the Irish are little better.
    lol i find it difficult as well, if i try really hard i can just about understand them - some people from England are bad enough, not going to name any places in particular though, otherwise i might offend somebody.

ReputationRep:

People who can speak english as a second language are amazing, I certainly would find it difficult to speak a foreign language (not that it's going to stop me learning japanese)

ReputationRep:

1) Countries have completely different stances when it comes to English. Some countries will refuse to use English, to let the English language have any influence: France, Italy, Spain... to name a few. In these countries for example, movies and TV series are always dubbed if their original language was English. Other countries virtually adopt English as a second mother tongue: Scandinavia, Holland, a lot of South East Asia, the Middle East...
    Not sure which position is the best to be honest

2) Where is the English language spoken? I'd say that a lot of well spoken people live in the UK but you're probably right: the average Brit doesn't necessarily master English that well.
    After the UK, I'd say Canada. There's a good mix of British and American influence there.
    But there are so many different criteria to take into account when evaluating the level of English: the most vocabulary? (I'd say the UK wins in that area), eloquence (UK probably doesn't win there).

After Canada, I'd probably say the English speakers in the Middle East. They adopt the English language with such enthusiasm and they truly master it...

ReputationRep:
    lol i find it difficult as well, if i try really hard i can just about understand them - some people from England are bad enough, not going to name any places in particular though, otherwise i might offend somebody.
    But you do see my point though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I'd have to rule out Canada, they generally pronounce words the same as Americans. Some examples would be fast, glass, grass etc Also the way they will say eyerack for Iraq etc. They just don't pronounce words properly.
    There's a lot of American influence in Canada but the English language as they know it, is basically British English.

(Original post by Sire)
    But you do see my point though?
    Indeed i do.

(Original post by SamTheMan)
    eloquence (UK probably doesn't win there).
    Were not *that* bad, some people from the UK would probably be the most elequent speakers of the language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I was speaking generally. But to add fuel to fire, as part of Britain, we have to include England with Scotland, Ireland and Wales. To be perfectly honest, I barely understand a Scotsman speaking English and the Irish are little better.
    They still speak proper English in Scotland...

I must say that it took me a while to understand anything in Rab C Nesbitt.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed i do.

Were not *that* bad, some people from the UK would probably be the most elequent speakers of the language.
    Yes, some people... the average Brit doesn't speak better English than for example, a Canadian. At least that's what I found out from experience.
    I think it's something to do with Brits being attached to their social class, ethnicity... Some people are proud not to speak good English. They'd be ashamed to string proper sentences together because they'd sound posh.

There's a similar attitude in the US: some people think it's isn't cool to talk properly. They'll use "like" excessively, make sentences with no more than 3 words and think it's cool..

Yes, some people... the average Brit doesn't speak better English than for example, a Canadian. At least that's what I found out from experience.
    I think it's something to do with Brits being attached to their social class, ethnicity... Some people are proud not to speak good English. They'd be ashamed to string proper sentences together because they'd sound posh.

There's a similar attitude in the US: some people think it's isn't cool to talk properly. They'll use "like" excessively, make sentences with no more than 3 words and think it's cool..
    Yeah i suppose i agree with you, for example words like "innit" - what's wrong with saying, "isn't it", it's not that posh surely. I admit i sometimes slip in the word 'like' once too often, i try to refrain though. People do say i'm posh every now and then but that's only because it's in comparison to themselves, i'm actually not very posh at all. I've never been to Canada but are you saying this problem doesn't occur there?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i suppose i agree with you, for example words like "innit" - what's wrong with saying, "isn't it", it's not that posh surely. I admit i sometimes slip in the word 'like' once too often, i try to refrain though. People do say i'm posh every now and then but that's only because it's in comparison to themselves, i'm actually not very posh at all. I've never been to Canada but are you saying this problem doesn't occur there?
    People have got lazy, they cannot be bothered it say full words, or even concede that certain letters even exist in the word. That is always being pronounced as tha in my area, which is infuriating.

ReputationRep:
    Sure dumb Canadian teenagers sound just like dumb American teenagers...

I think you can still sound a bit common, and still speak properly.

Sure dumb Canadian teenagers sound just like dumb American teenagers...
    So how could they speak better English then us?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.