Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    So how could they speak better English then us?
    Well this strong American cultural influence is quite new despite what some might think.
    Well, either they're not dumb or they become more educated...and realise there's nothing cool about pretending to be American when you're not.
    Like Jim Carey, what a ********. Mike Myers is cool though...and he speaks good English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxgirlxx)
    1. What do you think about people who doesn't speak English as their official language?

2. Where do you think they speak best English, what country?
    1. Um... They're OK... ???
    2. I find that often the best speakers of English are those who have learnt it as a second language. Obviously I mean the ones who are very fluent, but because they learn the complicated grammar and lexis, as opposed to picking it up as they get older, they understand how to use it better.

Course, the slang that people find vulgar and common (so not good spoken English...) at the moment will develop and evolve into everyday and accepted speech.

(Original post by Hayley...)
    Course, the slang that people find vulgar and common (so not good spoken English...) at the moment will develop and evolve into everyday and accepted speech.
    Please don't say that, it's a depressing thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Please don't say that, it's a depressing thought.
    Hey, it's the truth...

Though i'm sure that much of it will also be frowned upon so much that time will throw it to the depths of Hell. That help a bit?

(Original post by Hayley...)
    Though i'm sure that much of it will also be frowned upon so much that time will throw it to the depths of Hell. That help a bit?
    A little bit yes, thank you. "Innit" shall never become a word as long as i'm alive to protest against it!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, my South Londonisms do lead to the odd 'innit' being said by me. But not often, and I certainly don't recognise it as a word. I think there are distinctions between regional/social slang and the actual language, which goes back to what I was saying about those who learn English speaking it better than native speakers. Native speakers use slang (for the most part, and some more than others), and they can't help doing so.

Innit, like.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.