Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is anon for a reason, and the names and little details (like the subject department - nothing important) have all been changed so no one figures out who I am. Please note that the teacher didnt personally teach me for any subjects as i didnt take the subject he teaches. He worked as one of my house teachers.

I left school officially about a week and a half ago - signed off, no longer a student there, completely done.
    Since may, me and my friends have had a joke about one teacher - Mr. Williams - and on the last day of term before our study leave, we gave nick names to the whole maths department and posted a list on the main door to the department. by the end of the day we had told each teacher which one they were as a small prank on our last day all together. We told Mr. Williams his nickname, but we couldn't tell him the reason behind, as it was rather sexual, but the name didnt come across that way so you wouldnt guess just from the name.

During the term at school after coming back, there were no incidents of anything to do with the joke as we never really saw him. But, on the wednesday before we signed off, it was our schools annual maths quiz, and since me and my friend Ella hadn't been since year 10 (all students and teachers go, but dont have to partake) which was the last time we were required to go, we thought we would go and say good luck to the teachers and have a small memory lane moment. We ended up assisting, and we had a small bit of banter with Mr. Williams before we left at around 5. Nothing happened after that until book return day on the friday when we got signed out

We had a joke about buttons with one of the other math teachers and their nick name, so we had bought him a small bottle of buttons from wilkinsons as a goodbye joke.

About a week after signing out, me friend wanted to tell her old art teacher that she got on the art course at college, so I went up to school with her. We helped the teacher set up for the year 7 french trip which would be happening in a couple of weeks, so by the time we had finished that, we went back up to house in time for the buffet they hold at the end of induction week. After about 5 mins, Mr williams came up as he works in the house, and we had a small chat. once all the students had gone home around 1, i plugged in my phone to the speakers to play my music - oldies but goldies, madness, jam, queen - which mr williams really liked - that was just coincidence, i didnt know he liked that music.
    just as me and Ella where about to leave about 30 minutes later, our head of house Miss Yates asked us if we were able to go down and help set up for the fundraiser quiz for the french trip so we went, and Mr williams was also setting up.
    about an hour later, Me and ella went to was up all the pints glasses for the night, so I had my music playing again, and we were singing along like always. I turn around to turn down the volume, and mr williams is standing in the doorway looking at me singing with a smile on his face. Skip 20 minutes and as me and ella are leaving, I ask mr williams if he is going to the sixth form end of year party that night, to which he replied yes.

Skip to about 7pm when i arrive at the party, sitting in my mums car before i go in, i can see mr Williams spot me and then smile. I go in and sit down while i wait for my friends to come down from their room as the party was in a hotel. Mr williams comes over and we chat for about 10 minutes until my friends show up.
    skip ahead 30 minutes and the party is in full swing, but i'm sat at the table while my friends are dancing because i felt a little down and i didnt know why. I see mr williams out the corner of my eye walking over, stopping, then going back again - exactly what my ex boyfriend did when he wanted to get back with me, as if he were coming to talk to me, then chickening out.
    skip to about half 10 and im dancing away with my friends when sex on fire begins to play, and when i look over to mr williams a couple of times, he is watching me dance, and on the third time i look, i hold eye contact for about 4 seconds, and then he looks down, and leaves the room.

Since i got a picture with him and a couple other teachers, on the saturday after i emailed them round to each teacher photographed. The first to reply is Mr williams, at 10pm on a sunday when the rest didnt reply until 10am this morning.
    all day, me and mr williams have been emailing casually.

I know i shouldnt be fuelling anything, and i know i shoudlnt be casually emailing my ex teacher - but I find myslef getting nervous when he replies.
    why did he not do any of this while i was still a student, why wait until i was signed off?
    i don't know if this is something begin to form but i dont want to tell anyone in case they think it is.
    I'm 18, he's 26, and i am no longer a student at the school.

what do yous lot think?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is anon for a reason, and the names and little details (like the subject department - nothing important) have all been changed so no one figures out who I am. Please note that the teacher didnt personally teach me for any subjects as i didnt take the subject he teaches. He worked as one of my house teachers.

I left school officially about a week and a half ago - signed off, no longer a student there, completely done.
    Since may, me and my friends have had a joke about one teacher - Mr. Williams - and on the last day of term before our study leave, we gave nick names to the whole maths department and posted a list on the main door to the department. by the end of the day we had told each teacher which one they were as a small prank on our last day all together. We told Mr. Williams his nickname, but we couldn't tell him the reason behind, as it was rather sexual, but the name didnt come across that way so you wouldnt guess just from the name.

During the term at school after coming back, there were no incidents of anything to do with the joke as we never really saw him. But, on the wednesday before we signed off, it was our schools annual maths quiz, and since me and my friend Ella hadn't been since year 10 (all students and teachers go, but dont have to partake) which was the last time we were required to go, we thought we would go and say good luck to the teachers and have a small memory lane moment. We ended up assisting, and we had a small bit of banter with Mr. Williams before we left at around 5. Nothing happened after that until book return day on the friday when we got signed out

We had a joke about buttons with one of the other math teachers and their nick name, so we had bought him a small bottle of buttons from wilkinsons as a goodbye joke.

About a week after signing out, me friend wanted to tell her old art teacher that she got on the art course at college, so I went up to school with her. We helped the teacher set up for the year 7 french trip which would be happening in a couple of weeks, so by the time we had finished that, we went back up to house in time for the buffet they hold at the end of induction week. After about 5 mins, Mr williams came up as he works in the house, and we had a small chat. once all the students had gone home around 1, i plugged in my phone to the speakers to play my music - oldies but goldies, madness, jam, queen - which mr williams really liked - that was just coincidence, i didnt know he liked that music.
    just as me and Ella where about to leave about 30 minutes later, our head of house Miss Yates asked us if we were able to go down and help set up for the fundraiser quiz for the french trip so we went, and Mr williams was also setting up.
    about an hour later, Me and ella went to was up all the pints glasses for the night, so I had my music playing again, and we were singing along like always. I turn around to turn down the volume, and mr williams is standing in the doorway looking at me singing with a smile on his face. Skip 20 minutes and as me and ella are leaving, I ask mr williams if he is going to the sixth form end of year party that night, to which he replied yes.

Skip to about 7pm when i arrive at the party, sitting in my mums car before i go in, i can see mr Williams spot me and then smile. I go in and sit down while i wait for my friends to come down from their room as the party was in a hotel. Mr williams comes over and we chat for about 10 minutes until my friends show up.
    skip ahead 30 minutes and the party is in full swing, but i'm sat at the table while my friends are dancing because i felt a little down and i didnt know why. I see mr williams out the corner of my eye walking over, stopping, then going back again - exactly what my ex boyfriend did when he wanted to get back with me, as if he were coming to talk to me, then chickening out.
    skip to about half 10 and im dancing away with my friends when sex on fire begins to play, and when i look over to mr williams a couple of times, he is watching me dance, and on the third time i look, i hold eye contact for about 4 seconds, and then he looks down, and leaves the room.

Since i got a picture with him and a couple other teachers, on the saturday after i emailed them round to each teacher photographed. The first to reply is Mr williams, at 10pm on a sunday when the rest didnt reply until 10am this morning.
    all day, me and mr williams have been emailing casually.

I know i shouldnt be fuelling anything, and i know i shoudlnt be casually emailing my ex teacher - but I find myslef getting nervous when he replies.
    why did he not do any of this while i was still a student, why wait until i was signed off?
    i don't know if this is something begin to form but i dont want to tell anyone in case they think it is.
    I'm 18, he's 26, and i am no longer a student at the school.

what do yous lot think?
    I think it's a bit weird if something is happening. I mean, not long ago it was very illegal. it's not now, but it's definitely quite odd. I've casually emailed a teacher and even texted another after leaving school at 16, but the one I texted with I was close with any I knew her young kids too, and it was nothing like that. Are you sure you're not just into him and looking a bit too hard for things to signal he might be into you too? I'd just cut contact. It's not like it would be weird to do so or anything.

ReputationRep:
    He's casually emailing you now because it is legal, if he were to do it before you broke up then it would've been illegal.
    I don't think the age gap is a serious problem (...my boyfriend's 29 and I'm 19!) but it is strange that he is developing feelings for you in a romantic way - it's very obvious.
    Do your friends know about this? Because if you tell them, they'll give you the best advice as they know him as well and from hindsight they'll be able to see clearly what his intentions are and what's going on.
    If you want to continue messaging him, that's your choice; you're 18.
    But be aware if any red flags come up, or if he asks to meet up with you: please don't do it.
    I've had many crushes on teachers in the past (and sometimes now) but I know that if something like this is happening, I wouldn't be carrying it on.
    If you really like him then make sure that you are well into your twenties if you want to start anything....

So overall:
    Do what you want
    Be careful
    Tell your friends

P.S. If it makes you feel any better my teacher kissed me! (You'll understand in my last post!)

(Original post by harlowberry)
    He's casually emailing you now because it is legal, if he were to do it before you broke up then it would've been illegal.
    I don't think the age gap is a serious problem (...my boyfriend's 29 and I'm 19!) but it is strange that he is developing feelings for you in a romantic way - it's very obvious.
    Do your friends know about this? Because if you tell them, they'll give you the best advice as they know him as well and from hindsight they'll be able to see clearly what his intentions are and what's going on.
    If you want to continue messaging him, that's your choice; you're 18.
    But be aware if any red flags come up, or if he asks to meet up with you: please don't do it.
    I've had many crushes on teachers in the past (and sometimes now) but I know that if something like this is happening, I wouldn't be carrying it on.
    If you really like him then make sure that you are well into your twenties if you want to start anything....

So overall:
    Do what you want
    Be careful
    Tell your friends

P.S. If it makes you feel any better my teacher kissed me! (You'll understand in my last post!)
    I have only told one friend - i was originally not going to tel anyone because 1) i know that is like a 0.001% chance of anything happening and 2) i didnt want word getting out in case her got into trouble for having so much contact with an ex student as i have only been gone a month so i dont know what rules my specific school has. Plus that friend lives in australia so i know he cant tell anyone, but i am regretting tell him tbh.

also UPDATE: i'm thinking that said teacher is on the week long camp trip with school this week so that means we likely will not be emailing this week, which reduces the odds of it continuing when he gets back

ReputationRep:
    I have only told one friend - i was originally not going to tel anyone because 1) i know that is like a 0.001% chance of anything happening and 2) i didnt want word getting out in case her got into trouble for having so much contact with an ex student as i have only been gone a month so i dont know what rules my specific school has. Plus that friend lives in australia so i know he cant tell anyone, but i am regretting tell him tbh.

also UPDATE: i'm thinking that said teacher is on the week long camp trip with school this week so that means we likely will not be emailing this week, which reduces the odds of it continuing when he gets back
    Okay, keep me updated if anything else happens!

Okay, keep me updated if anything else happens!
    I'm gonna stop emailing for about a week because 1) i think hes on camp, so he probably wont have access to his emails and 2) ella and i looked through his and his mums instagrams and we feel like family drama is going on, so I dont want to be an irritation - i know that a message from certain people while drama goes on can be annoying and make you feel worse and i dont know where i stand so i dont to be that person. I did email saying that my second job interview was today as he wanted to know how my job hunting was going

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna stop emailing for about a week because 1) i think hes on camp, so he probably wont have access to his emails and 2) ella and i looked through his and his mums instagrams and we feel like family drama is going on, so I dont want to be an irritation - i know that a message from certain people while drama goes on can be annoying and make you feel worse and i dont know where i stand so i dont to be that person. I did email saying that my second job interview was today as he wanted to know how my job hunting was going
    Do you email him via your personal or school email address?

ReputationRep:
    It'd be best to move on from this.

Let him focus on his own career. You are both at very different stages of your life and once you hit university, things will be extremely different. Whilst it's true that the school policy technically doesn't have any issue with him dating you. It won't look very good for him professionally by his managers.

He is in a position of authority where he is meant to keep his relationship with students strictly platonic, that would also mean realising that if he is developing some form of attraction, to avoid scenarios where feelings are encouraged.

Consider it an unfortunate case of timing.

Do you email him via your personal or school email address?
    my personal one - i deleted my school one the day we were signed out, so i used my personal one to send round all the pictures to each teacher

ReputationRep:
    my personal one - i deleted my school one the day we were signed out, so i used my personal one to send round all the pictures to each teacher
    oh wow - dangerous territory! Let me know asap if he sends another email to you... I'm really interested in this now!

oh wow - dangerous territory! Let me know asap if he sends another email to you... I'm really interested in this now!
    he was on camp when my friend sent me a pic that he was in our local paper for a charity event he did where he out ran an Olympic sportsperson. I sent him the picture asking if he knew on the firday they got back and he didnt know so me and ella walked down to school and gave him a copy of the paper. we were there for all of 2 minutes max. When i got home about half an hour later (the school had a half day so he had gone home) he had sent an email saying "Thank you for the paper, I forgot your 90p! [he owes me for the paper] I'll make sure i give it to you next time i see you" and i replied "I'll try to remember not to charge you interest! Did you find it?? [the article about him]" and he said "Yes I found it thank you. And I hope you enjoy your new job! See you on results day" to which i replied "Start on Friday! So Excited!!"

at this point I had accepted that nothing would ever happen.

Thought it was a bit odd that he waited half an hour until he was at home away from the second teacher who was there to reply saying good luck with my job when he could have easily said it while i was there??

ReputationRep:
    he was on camp when my friend sent me a pic that he was in our local paper for a charity event he did where he out ran an Olympic sportsperson. I sent him the picture asking if he knew on the firday they got back and he didnt know so me and ella walked down to school and gave him a copy of the paper. we were there for all of 2 minutes max. When i got home about half an hour later (the school had a half day so he had gone home) he had sent an email saying "Thank you for the paper, I forgot your 90p! [he owes me for the paper] I'll make sure i give it to you next time i see you" and i replied "I'll try to remember not to charge you interest! Did you find it?? [the article about him]" and he said "Yes I found it thank you. And I hope you enjoy your new job! See you on results day" to which i replied "Start on Friday! So Excited!!"

at this point I had accepted that nothing would ever happen.

Thought it was a bit odd that he waited half an hour until he was at home away from the second teacher who was there to reply saying good luck with my job when he could have easily said it while i was there??
    Yeah, what I'd do is not message him AT ALL during the holidays. Are you going to university or staying on at a sixth form?

Yeah, what I'd do is not message him AT ALL during the holidays. Are you going to university or staying on at a sixth form?
    I have finished sixth form and for now I'm staying in town on a gap year before re-applying

ReputationRep:
    He didn't want to risk his job, probably has feelings for you so he waited till after studies.

Kinda weird to say this but go for it, life's too short to care :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    tbh I don't see anything in that which implies he fancies you... he could well just be being friendly with the emails (assuming there's no overt flirtation)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.