Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I feel like I may be stuck here. I stayed at St. Peter's court (Nottingham uni) last year (which is run by UNITE Students) and after inspecting my room, they've sent me invoices for damages they found. My charges are as follows:

£63 for a mattress stain
    £30 for a missing mood lamp
    £5 for a missing bin

The bin has simply been moved into the kitchen (I brought my own bedroom bin, so I moved mine into there), so that one's easy to fix. Although I think the cleaner took the spare bin and moved it to god knows where, so that may end up being £5 lost.

All rooms were meant to include a mood lamp, but mine didn't. I contacted reception about it a few weeks into my stay there, and they said they'd look into, but it never happened. I didn't really care about not having one, so I didn't press it any further. As it was just a casual 'me visiting reception to ask' thing, I highly doubt it'll be on record. I did take photos of my room when I moved in, so it would be clear there's no mood lamp, but I'm worried they'll be able to just say I hid it out of sight of the photos.

As for the mattress stain, I fear it'll be impossible to prove it wasn't me. I never drunk in my room, and am certain I never spilt anything. When I moved in, the mattress had a white cover over it, and I simply didn't think to lift the cover to check the mattress, let alone photograph it. When I left my room, the mattress cover had fallen off slightly, so what I fear may have happened is that the last person who stayed in my room may have successfully hidden the stain with this white mattress cover. As such, it won't be on UNITE's records to prove it wasn't me.

I gave them a £250 deposit, and am yet to receive it. I'd have expected these charges to come out of it, but they've asked me to pay the charges myself, and haven't mentioned the deposit. As such, I'm deeply concerned I will lose the £250 all together. I have emailed them to both dispute their charges and to ask about this deposit, but they've yet to get back to me.

It's just extremely frustrating knowing that I'll most likely have to pay almost £100 worth of damages that I didn't cause. I'd have no issue whatsoever if I had caused them because hey, if I stain a mattress, of course I should be the one paying for it. I didn't though, and I worry I don't have any legs to stand on to prove that.

Does anyone have any advice? Particularly anyone who has been in this situation, or had similar experiences with UNITE.

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dear_Rhian)
    Hey guys,

I feel like I may be stuck here. I stayed at St. Peter's court (Nottingham uni) last year (which is run by UNITE Students) and after inspecting my room, they've sent me invoices for damages they found. My charges are as follows:

£63 for a mattress stain
    £30 for a missing mood lamp
    £5 for a missing bin

The bin has simply been moved into the kitchen (I brought my own bedroom bin, so I moved mine into there), so that one's easy to fix. Although I think the cleaner took the spare bin and moved it to god knows where, so that may end up being £5 lost.

All rooms were meant to include a mood lamp, but mine didn't. I contacted reception about it a few weeks into my stay there, and they said they'd look into, but it never happened. I didn't really care about not having one, so I didn't press it any further. As it was just a casual 'me visiting reception to ask' thing, I highly doubt it'll be on record. I did take photos of my room when I moved in, so it would be clear there's no mood lamp, but I'm worried they'll be able to just say I hid it out of sight of the photos.

As for the mattress stain, I fear it'll be impossible to prove it wasn't me. I never drunk in my room, and am certain I never spilt anything. When I moved in, the mattress had a white cover over it, and I simply didn't think to lift the cover to check the mattress, let alone photograph it. When I left my room, the mattress cover had fallen off slightly, so what I fear may have happened is that the last person who stayed in my room may have successfully hidden the stain with this white mattress cover. As such, it won't be on UNITE's records to prove it wasn't me.

I gave them a £250 deposit, and am yet to receive it. I'd have expected these charges to come out of it, but they've asked me to pay the charges myself, and haven't mentioned the deposit. As such, I'm deeply concerned I will lose the £250 all together. I have emailed them to both dispute their charges and to ask about this deposit, but they've yet to get back to me.

It's just extremely frustrating knowing that I'll most likely have to pay almost £100 worth of damages that I didn't cause. I'd have no issue whatsoever if I had caused them because hey, if I stain a mattress, of course I should be the one paying for it. I didn't though, and I worry I don't have any legs to stand on to prove that.

Does anyone have any advice? Particularly anyone who has been in this situation, or had similar experiences with UNITE.

Thanks!
    You said "St. Peter's Court (Nottingham Uni)".. Are you saying where you stayed are something to do with your uni as in they own them? If so, get your Student Union involved immediately.

If it's a provide hire, you could go see a lawyer for a free consultation and if you have enough money for one (like get your family involved) then I'd hire one because they are literally stealing from you.

Make sure you READ, READ, READ your contract over again and take note of anything about deposits and missing or damaged items that do not belong to you personally or legally.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    You said "St. Peter's Court (Nottingham Uni)".. Are you saying where you stayed are something to do with your uni as in they own them? If so, get your Student Union involved immediately.

If it's a provide hire, you could go see a lawyer for a free consultation and if you have enough money for one (like get your family involved) then I'd hire one because they are literally stealing from you.

Make sure you READ, READ, READ your contract over again and take note of anything about deposits and missing or damaged items that do not belong to you personally or legally.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply They've sent an email explaining the deposit now, and they will be giving it back, thank god! It's privately owned accommodation (via the uni), so the student union probably won't be of use. The contract states that unless I report missing items, damage e.t.c in the room within 48 hours of moving in, I'm responsible for these missing items, damage e.t.c. I ddin't realise there was meant to be a mood lamp until a few weeks into my stay (granted, my fault for not reading everything and remembering it), and didn't even notice the mattress stain.

Even with lawyers, I don't feel like I'd have a leg to stand on, and tbh couldn't afford any anyway
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dear_Rhian)
    Thanks for the reply They've sent an email explaining the deposit now, and they will be giving it back, thank god! It's privately owned accommodation (via the uni), so the student union probably won't be of use. The contract states that unless I report missing items, damage e.t.c in the room within 48 hours of moving in, I'm responsible for these missing items, damage e.t.c. I ddin't realise there was meant to be a mood lamp until a few weeks into my stay (granted, my fault for not reading everything and remembering it), and didn't even notice the mattress stain.

Even with lawyers, I don't feel like I'd have a leg to stand on, and tbh couldn't afford any anyway
    So you're going to have to pay the 98 quid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    So you're going to have to pay the 98 quid?
    I'm worried that may be the case. I'm going to try and dispute it, and hope that I can at least not have to pay for some things. Thanks for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    always, always, always take photos of ANY damage when you move in and be really careful to check as it is so easy for things to be missed or shoddily fixed by the previous tenant in a way which can come back on you

and always leave a paper trail of any problems (e.g. the mood lamp)

I doubt there's a lot you can do now except pay... the bin is your fault as it was your responsibility and you moved it out where anyone could have put it somewhere else but you've given yourself no grounds to dispute the other issues

ReputationRep:
    it looks like you will be paying some £££ OP. it is really a lesson in how :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:y other people can be.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I've certainly learned my lesson. I'll be turning my next uni room inside out and photographing every corner when I move in, believe me! I took photos of the room itself, just not of specific details such as the mattress.

I've managed to knock the cost of the lamp and the bin off (with photos), but can't escape the £63 mattress stain charge. Sucks, but it's at least 50% my own fault for not checking everything as well as I should have when moving in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.