Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best ways to volunteer without spending thousands watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm a student at Bangor university (little city in north wales no one has heard of) anyway... Obviously being a student deep in my overdraft I cannot afford the price some company's expect to volunteer abroad for such little time, I mean over £1000 for 2 weeks?!!! Ideally I want to volunteer abroad helping in orphanages and working with children next summer, I'm currently working all of this summer to start saving because my student loan isn't the best! Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew the best ways to go about doing this, ideally I want to go to around 4 different locations not too fused where but for about 2 weeks at a time, anyone know how I can financially make this work? What websites to look into? If there's any help I can get to cover the cost? It is a requirement I need as to get on my masters course in two years I need atleast 6 months experience working with disadvantaged children. Any help and advice is welcome

THANKS IN ADVANCE😘
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You can work with disadvantaged children in your own country and not have to pay a thing. There's plenty of opportunities for that. You wouldn't have to pay then. Getting to do it abroad will unfortunately always be quite expensive. Even if you sorted the trip out yourself without a company that does it all for you, you risk not having help when you need it and it'd still cost you a fortune in flights and expenses.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply, I preferably want to do it abroad because I really want to go traveling just wondered if anyone knew any ways to do it for cheaper

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping to go abroad volunteering with http://www.projects-abroad.co.uk/ after my A-levels. They're fairly expensive, but have you considered fundraising the money? It totally looks worth it to me :biggrin:

ReputationRep:
    hey have you looked into the ICS? its 3 month government funded however, youre stuck in one spot. not 100% sure youre guaranteed work with children but it may be worth a look into 🐰

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just go abroad, like normally and then just find ways of volunteering once you're there? The. If you can afford to stay abroad for a long time come home and complete the rest of your volunteering here for free?

ReputationRep:
    if you want meaningful experience working with disadvantaged children then the best advice for you is to volunteer in the UK and then go travelling if you want to travel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiams97)
    Thank you for your reply, I preferably want to do it abroad because I really want to go traveling just wondered if anyone knew any ways to do it for cheaper
    The kind of placements you're looking at have serious negative effects on the children you would supposedly be 'helping'. If you want to go travelling then go travelling. If you want to volunteer with children then do so within your community in the UK.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.