Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm an 18 year old girl and live with a very conservative Asian family. They don't support what I want to do (acting), they don't let me wear the clothes I want to wear, they don't let me buy things I want to buy or work or do anything that I want to do.

Just now I tried to talk to them about it for the millionth time and they took away all my electronic devices because they think my friends are brainwashing me. It's been constant arguments like this for almost the past year. I wish I could move out but they'd kill me.

I just spent an hour crying in the shower and I feel really down right now and feel like I don't know what the point is any more. Then I found this crappy old android phone in my brother's drawer and am now using it to distract myself online.

I just can't live like this anymore, I simply can't. I legitimately feel like I can't breathe. Any advice from people who have been in a situation similar to mine? Please help me.

ReputationRep:
    Are you moving out for university?

Are you by any chance a Muslim?

(Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Are you moving out for university?Are you by any chance a Muslim?
    I can't move out and didn't apply because I wasn't ready yet and my family and I kept arguing about what I should apply to study. I was going to spend this year productively and had fun activities planned but that isn't going to happen now.Yes I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can't move out and didn't apply because I wasn't ready yet and my family and I kept arguing about what I should apply to study. I was going to spend this year productively and had fun activities planned but that isn't going to happen now.Yes I am.
    I'm very sorry to hear.

Do apply to university and move out for 2017. They don't need to know what you apply for. Do your own research and apply for a course that you will enjoy. Don't pick one just because your parents forced you. And gaining their approval to move out will be very difficult - that's undeniable. But persevere. Don't give up.

As of now, if you can wait until 2017, perhaps get a full time job so you spend less time at home? Or even a part time one and pretend it's full time so you can still have some time to yourself? Tell them that you need the money so you can save it up and take less money from student finance. Most Muslims believe that interest or riba is haram so you could use that to your advantage.

Have you considered volunteering abroad? Is this something they would allow you to do or is this taking it too far?

If you genuinely cannot stand being at home anymore then you really need to contact someone. If there's a teacher or anyone at your school/college that you could speak to then that would be a good start. Anyone who you can trust and explain the situation to would be great.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an 18 year old girl and live with a very conservative Asian family. They don't support what I want to do (acting), they don't let me wear the clothes I want to wear, they don't let me buy things I want to buy or work or do anything that I want to do.

Just now I tried to talk to them about it for the millionth time and they took away all my electronic devices because they think my friends are brainwashing me. It's been constant arguments like this for almost the past year. I wish I could move out but they'd kill me.

I just spent an hour crying in the shower and I feel really down right now and feel like I don't know what the point is any more. Then I found this crappy old android phone in my brother's drawer and am now using it to distract myself online.

I just can't live like this anymore, I simply can't. I legitimately feel like I can't breathe. Any advice from people who have been in a situation similar to mine? Please help me.
    If you're unable to act, I suggest venting some other way for the time being - take up an innocent hobby like painting for instance. Or write. It may not fulfill that creativity need utterly, but it will help fill the "hungry void" somewhat.

By the sounds of it your parents are very tough, and there are only a few ways around that. None of those outcomes make for a good future though. It may be hard, but perhaps it's best for the time being to put up with your parents nonsense for a year, then apply for uni and hopefully get in and then with a little bit of luck get a job thereafter. By then you will not be required to rely on your parents so much - things should get easier.

And if you don't want to do that, then may I inquire if you believe there's anyone you think you could stay with in the meantime? If so, then go ahead and do that. Basic privileges like internet access shouldn't be denied by parents

ReputationRep:

Hey, first of all dont hate your life I gurantee your ljfe is better than 85% of Earths population probably more.

Secondly, if you really like acting you will find a way. I guess your parents want you to pursue a degree? You do that and keep your actiing on the low (still try to improve it), and then when you have a degree but you can continue acting.

The actor for Mr Bean his name
    Is Rowan Atkinson has a masters in electrical engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Are you moving out for university?

Are you by any chance a Muslim?
    again these ignorant people relating everything to islam what has her religion have to do with anything .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robin567)
    again these ignorant people relating everything to islam what has her religion have to do with anything .
    It is highly relevant. Perhaps if you read my next response you will figure out why.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.