The Student Room Group

Is it just me or do all jobs require experience...

Okay well I've been looking for a job for over 2 months now and every time I either get rejected or the job requires experience. Why are employers so fussy? How do they honestly expect anyone to get experience when they need a job to get experience.. I've been rejected by a leaflet distribution company, how can you get rejected by them? You don't need any skills to do that so why can't they just employ everyone? 😂 It's so stupid! This job searching is annoying!
Reply 1
i feel your pain
Well, you would have to do volunteer work in order to get experience, since all the paid positions require experience.

It also wouldn't hurt to network with people and try to make a friend who can get you a job.
Idd it's a nuisance trying to get that first one. Once you get your foot on the ladder though... Things are not so bad.
Reply 4
Totally agree. I recently got my first job after searching for about a month and it was all down to luck in the end. Keep trying and maybe go into stores and building rapport if you aren't getting anywhere with online applications.

I'd also suggest 'dumbing down' your cv and removing any mentions of university.

Good luck!
Original post by Frankie_Clayden

When you were 8 and you picked teams for football in playground, did you try and pick the best players, even though it was just a game of playground footie, or did you just accept whoever wanted to play on your side?

Employees represent not only a vital need for an employer, but also a considerable risk, especially if they are in customer facing roles. So even in the most basic of jobs, the employer is always going to try and chose the person who looks least likely to screw things up.

Your issue is that you don't get the difference between experience and 'experience doing this job'. Employers don't need you to have experience of flipping burgers in order to flip burgers, but to be competitive, you do need to show them that you can turn up to a regular appointment reliably, that you can follow rules and regulations, that you have an understanding of safety, that you can work with colleagues, that you can handle money, that you can deal politely and constructively with customers etc.

You can also improve your chances by putting in a bit of extra effort and applying direct to the employers instead of through agencies. These large agencies may make job searching easy, by delivering many job options to you with just a few clicks, but they offer that service to thousands of people. It means that they can generate hundreds of candidates for entry level jobs that 90%+ of applicants can do. As someone starting out on a career, you will only have very generic, transferable evidence, so it is very difficult to stand out among hundreds of others in the same position. If you do a bit more research and apply directly to companies, then you reduce the odds in your favour.
Okay well I've been looking for a job for over 2 months now and every time I either get rejected or the job requires experience. Why are employers so fussy? How do they honestly expect anyone to get experience when they need a job to get experience.. I've been rejected by a leaflet distribution company, how can you get rejected by them? You don't need any skills to do that so why can't they just employ everyone? 😂 It's so stupid! This job searching is annoying!

Experience isn't just paid work.. You can get experience from doing volunteer work, extracurricular activities, leadership positions etc.. You kind of have to get creative about the whole concept of experience and not fall into the 'catch 22' hole people find themselves in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get experience by volunteering and playing sports and maybe start a small business and improve your skills through these methods. Then, maybe do some unpaid work experience and put that on your CV.

Do some voluntary work?
Literally I've applied at Starbucks, tesco, two local places and subway and didn't get any because I lack experience?!
My actual Cv is decent, I have good grades, I'm confident and I do public speaking and drama so I know how to conduct myself in interviews. It's just annoying when they say I'm too young and too inexperienced. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Also I have volunteered loads and still nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can totally relate, like how are you meant to even start? EVERYWHERE, especially for like coffee shops, bars, restaurants requires 1 year working experience kmt.
Reply 12
OP, I didn't get my first part time job until after 4 years of constant applying. Volunteering experience is key.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending