Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This may be in the wrong forum..
    But I can't afford my rent payment. It was due a 4 days ago and I still haven't paid it. I do have a week extension as last month I told him I was getting paid on the 7th, which was true last month and I thought I'd have it this month but I have absolutely nothing to my name.
    I've only made it worse for myself by telling my parents I had the rent money (I was going to get it together myself as I do some webcamming work but that hasn't worked out well this month) as they had next to no money and my mum struggled to pay me back a small amount of money that she owed me and didn't want to put this burden on them.

I do only have this month and next month left on the tenancy- my mum said she would pay next months and also at some point pay me back for this month (although I've told her she shouldn't). I have some really promising job interest so hopefully I should have also started a grad job by next month, maybe even starting next week. But I just don't have it now.

My real question is, tl;dr:

Since there's no way that I can pay him until next month, what will the consequences be? In terms of my credit rating, potential legal action, getting a new rental place afterwards etc.?

I know this is my fault and should have been more organised and prepared so please spare me the judgement.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You need to talk to your landlord and your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This may be in the wrong forum..
    But I can't afford my rent payment. It was due a 4 days ago and I still haven't paid it. I do have a week extension as last month I told him I was getting paid on the 7th, which was true last month and I thought I'd have it this month but I have absolutely nothing to my name.
    I've only made it worse for myself by telling my parents I had the rent money (I was going to get it together myself as I do some webcamming work but that hasn't worked out well this month) as they had next to no money and my mum struggled to pay me back a small amount of money that she owed me and didn't want to put this burden on them.

I do only have this month and next month left on the tenancy- my mum said she would pay next months and also at some point pay me back for this month (although I've told her she shouldn't). I have some really promising job interest so hopefully I should have also started a grad job by next month, maybe even starting next week. But I just don't have it now.

My real question is, tl;dr:

Since there's no way that I can pay him until next month, what will the consequences be? In terms of my credit rating, potential legal action, getting a new rental place afterwards etc.?

I know this is my fault and should have been more organised and prepared so please spare me the judgement.
    As a landlord myself - I would want to know the situation. I assume that he has your deposit. These things happen and landlords are flexible - especially if you have been a good tenant - but you must tell him the situation and give him a plan of when you can pay. He could bring legal action but it would be too expensive to do that for a couple of months rent

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.