Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    Has anyone used these two books?
    1. CGP head start to A level chemistry
    2. CGP head start to A level biology

could you please tell me what are the contents of the book and how is it? i would just like to know the topics and subtopics. It would truly be helpful.
    thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Yes i have and i think I'm going to get A* in these subjects. First thing, with both subjects memorising mark schemes is absolutely key!
    For biology CGP is ALL i used it covers literally everything you need nicely, exam question mainly rely on application of this knowledge which is tough. There are like 2-3 marks in the essay outside the specification to be awarded, so also keep that in mind.
    For chemistry CGP is also great but i found it misses like 3-4 points but thats about it really.
    So.....if you just memorise CGP and do past papers and memorise mark schemes, you are guarenteed at least an A.
    CGP contents are EXACTLY from specification......if you want to know the specification just check the exam boards website

ReputationRep:
    which exam board are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    which exam board are you doing?
    I am doing Edexcel. I just got done with my IGCSEs last month... and i just wanted to get a "head start" to A levels.
    By the looks of it, you seem pretty impressed by these books. If you do not mind, could you let me know some of the topics in this book?
    And do they also introduce you to key A level topics?

Thank you once again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini101)
    I am doing Edexcel. I just got done with my IGCSEs last month... and i just wanted to get a "head start" to A levels.
    By the looks of it, you seem pretty impressed by these books. If you do not mind, could you let me know some of the topics in this book?
    And do they also introduce you to key A level topics?

Thank you once again.
    New specification are introduced starting from 2017 so check exam board website but this is what i did:
    biology: Immunology, Digestion, Transport of substances across cell membranes, heart and heart disease(heart attacks, thrombus aneurysm), lung and lung disease (TB, asthma, epheseyma, fibrosis), variation in populations, DNA structure, cell cycle like meiosis and mitosis, heamoglbin and bore shift, differentiation, adapatations, tissue fluid, transport of gases in human, insects and fish, species diversity, classification.
    For chemistry i did atomic structure, structure and bonding, molar calculations, alkanes, crude oil, halogens, thermodynamics, alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, caroxlic acids, equilibria
    Of course it may be slight different now due to new books being realseased for new specification but it will be similar
    And yes i would say so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    New specification are introduced starting from 2017 so check exam board website but this is what i did:
    biology: Immunology, Digestion, Transport of substances across cell membranes, heart and heart disease(heart attacks, thrombus aneurysm), lung and lung disease (TB, asthma, epheseyma, fibrosis), variation in populations, DNA structure, cell cycle like meiosis and mitosis, heamoglbin and bore shift, differentiation, adapatations, tissue fluid, transport of gases in human, insects and fish, species diversity, classification.
    For chemistry i did atomic structure, structure and bonding, molar calculations, alkanes, crude oil, halogens, thermodynamics, alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, caroxlic acids, equilibria
    Of course it may be slight different now due to new books being realseased for new specification but it will be similar
    And yes i would say so
    Thank you so much mathsmad123! I really appreciate it!
    Just one more question :P
    Was the content in the books very similar to what you had learnt during your GCSE O LEVEL course?
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini101)
    Thank you so much mathsmad123! I really appreciate it!
    Just one more question :P
    Was the content in the books very similar to what you had learnt during your GCSE O LEVEL course?
    Thanks again!
    no problem. And absolutely yes! its all gcse work then it builds up into higher level things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.