This discussion is closed.
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Hmmm...car racing ey?

I'm very much keen on sword-fighting/ninja animes.
Naruto, though perhaps having the appearance of a more children's anime- the main characters being quite young, is a most enjoyable ninja series with a massive online fan base. Me and my siblings love it and the albumn is great. There are many others aswell, Scrapped Princess was a great series- now finished and have started watching a few new ones.

I've seen/am watching quite a lot of animes now. The one I have just bought, which I spoke of earlier, is Full Metal Panic. I actually saw the first bit of the spin-off-series (very funny)- Full Metal Panic Fuffumo, before I saw the original. I certainly enjoy it (especially with Sousuke Sagara being incredibly yummy!)

My avatar is of Uchiha Sasuke, a character from Naruto.

Erm...yes well...I stop now.
Oh well, I'm always up for more suggestions on what other anime I should get addicted to! I'm quite a samurai fan myself. Just watched Kill Bill today and it's like one of the best films I have ever seen!
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Oh well, I'm always up for more suggestions on what other anime I should get addicted to! I'm quite a samurai fan myself. Just watched Kill Bill today and it's like one of the best films I have ever seen!
What's it about? It's in the cinemas at the moment isn't it?
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
What's it about? It's in the cinemas at the moment isn't it?
Well, it's a film where the main character has some close people killed and she gets revenge blah blah blah. But it's not any old crap! Well, I can't exactly explain what the story is about since I have only just seen it but if you search on google, I'm sure you will know! Parts I remember are when there are like 40 Japanese Yakuza guys running in with samurai swords and Uma Thurman's character just slashes away. At the end, I was so annoyed because I forgot that it was only Volume 1 and that it would continue to the next one! Man, I can't wait until Volume 2 comes out!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Hurray for swords and samurai skills!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Which mangas or anime films would people recommend? I've heard a fair bit about 'Akira' or something, I'm going to download some for the Christmas holiday to keep me going while I revise for my Economics resit, but I want good ones. Please help!
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Which mangas or anime films would people recommend? I've heard a fair bit about 'Akira' or something, I'm going to download some for the Christmas holiday to keep me going while I revise for my Economics resit, but I want good ones. Please help!
Akira's old...
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Hmmm...

Well as I've said above:
Naruto- give it a go maybe -if you can get the eps- (am already on 55...56 by tomorrow!) -Hopefully you'll like it- and give it a chance with the first few eps (also have great soundtrack)
Scrapped Princess
Full Metal Panic- it's licensed though but you can still get Fuffumo which is funny (especially the first eps) and you don't really need to have scene the first series- I hadn't when I started watching.

Hmmm...I suppose it depends on the genres you like. Action? Romance? Comedy? Etc...though pretty much all animes seem to have comedy elements.
ladyblitzer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Does anyone else on the forum like/watch anime? If so any particular series'?
My brother introduced me to it a while ago and I am addicted- it's a shame they don't really show any on tv -and when they do it's always kiddies' programmes dubbed in american accents :mad: -I like watching it in Japanese (subbed) -and am actually learning little snippets of language along the way ...want to learn to draw em aswell but my attempts have been, erm...interesting

Anyway...anyone?

Egan
Aaah, you just started this thread before I did I am a big big anime fan.

I've seen Ultra Maniac, Slam Dunk, Azumanga Daiyoh, Grander Musashi, Fushigi Yuugi, Ayashi No Ceres, Hana Yori Dango, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, SailorMoon, Gundam Wing, Love Hina, Ranma 1/2, Full Metal Panic, Kare Kano, Ai Yori Aoshi, Gatekeepers, You're Under Arrest, Sakura Wars, To Heart, Samurai X, Dragon Ball.

I recommend them all! I know a site where you can get anime through BitTorrent. PM me if you're interested.
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ladyblitzer)
Aaah, you just started this thread before I did I am a big big anime fan.
Actually I started this thread a few months ago but it's been bought back up- hurray!
(Original post by ladyblitzer)
Azumanga Daiyoh,
Full Metal Panic
I've seen most of Azumanga- I think it may have been the first proper anime my brother showed my sister and then I got interested and started watching- mainly due to the amusement of my brother's 'KANG KONG KANG KONG KANG KONG!' impressions *chuckles*
Are you watching Fuffumo aswell? -ooo *checks certain site* -the latest ep has just been released- hurrah!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Arg! The most recent FMPF episode! *laughs*
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Does anybody NOT like anime?? I can't stand it!
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unregistered)
Does anybody NOT like anime?? I can't stand it!
Have you seen much of it? Or just childrends dubbed stuff?

I don't think you can really cross off anime as a whole just because you don't like what you've seen. It's like someone saying 'books are crap' because the only ones they've read aren't very good.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Have you seen much of it? Or just childrends dubbed stuff?

I don't think you can really cross off anime as a whole just because you don't like what you've seen. It's like someone saying 'books are crap' because the only ones they've read aren't very good.
Ok, let me be a bit more specific...

I don't mind the kids cartoons - they're easy to watch and I can understand why they'd be enjoyed.

The more adult anime is just too weird for me. I don't mean to offend, and I'm trying to choose my words carefully here, but I don't like having different cultures and languages forced upon me. Pretty much every anime film you see has something weird in it - the names, the way people dress, etc. I feel as if the animators are trying to flog across this whole idea to the viewers of 'this is how things should be' , and I can't help but reject that.

One other point I'd like to make is that I really hate to see anime style characters in computer games. In my opinion, there's ALWAYS a better, more realistic alternative to some guy with spiky blue hair wearing some strange robe and bandana and holding a huge samurai sword.

Just my thoughts. It may be cute, but it's not for me.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Fair enough, I don't agree but meh!

*drools at the thought of some guy with spiky blue hair wearing some strange robe and bandana and holding a huge samurai sword*

I love watching anime in Japanese- the language just sounds so nice! The names arn't necessarally weird- just foreign! And as for clothing- I suppose it depends but it's not really any different to programmes with actors- if it's set in the future or in a robot world or whatever then the clothes are bound to be different but many of the animes I've seen have the characters wearing dress just like our own. The kimono is just a traditional Japanese piece of clothing so it's bound to show up a lot.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
akira the film is crap!! didnt understand it one bit. i used to watch (and dont laugh) sailormoon, yu yu hakusho and street fighter. so where can u watch animes? which channel isit on? please dont tell me its ok sky or something cos i dont have it
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
akira the film is crap!! didnt understand it one bit. i used to watch (and dont laugh) sailormoon, yu yu hakusho and street fighter. so where can u watch animes? which channel isit on? please dont tell me its ok sky or something cos i dont have it
Unfortunately, if you want them legally, you will have to buy them. The only anime they show on UK television is some crap American-dubbed stuff. If you go to Chinatown in C.London, there are shops which sell whole anime series on DVDs.

Thing is that you either love anime or you hate it. Not that many people in the Western world know about anime. And they usually get it mixed up with Manga. God, I would so love to visit Japan one day.....
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by jediknight007)
Unfortunately, if you want them legally, you will have to buy them. The only anime they show on UK television is some crap American-dubbed stuff. If you go to Chinatown in C.London, there are shops which sell whole anime series on DVDs.

Thing is that you either love anime or you hate it. Not that many people in the Western world know about anime. And they usually get it mixed up with Manga. God, I would so love to visit Japan one day.....
Egan1
Rep:
?

Damn- for some reason it wouldn't post what I just wrote *sigh*

Erm- well basically said:
'ooo *hops on train to China Town*'
and 'Would love to go to Japan. And detour to China for dodgy anime-selling shops'

It was a much more detailed and reason-giving response but I cannot be *beep*ed to retype
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Fair enough, I don't agree but meh!

*drools at the thought of some guy with spiky blue hair wearing some strange robe and bandana and holding a huge samurai sword*

I love watching anime in Japanese- the language just sounds so nice! The names arn't necessarally weird- just foreign! And as for clothing- I suppose it depends but it's not really any different to programmes with actors- if it's set in the future or in a robot world or whatever then the clothes are bound to be different but many of the animes I've seen have the characters wearing dress just like our own. The kimono is just a traditional Japanese piece of clothing so it's bound to show up a lot.
Yes, well, I feel more pride for my own language and traditions. I can see that I'm pretty much alone though - fair enough.

Spikey blue hair, a robe & bandana and a samurai sword? Pfft, oh please!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Spikey blue hair, a robe & bandana and a samurai sword? Pfft, oh please!
*chuckles*
You're character not mine!
It all depends on the style of the animation but that description sounds tasty enough to me! :P
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (43)
43.43%
Pro-humanity (56)
56.57%

Watched Threads