Anime Watch

This discussion is closed.
goku
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I love anime and manga, I have some manga, namely dragonball. I love anime such as Outlaw Star, Cowboy bebop, gundam wing, Dragonball Z/ GT (best anime in my opinion!) Sailor Moon, there's too many to list, i love the movies as well, i have Appleseed, Blood: The last Vampire, Ninja Scroll, Ghost In the Shell (and a couple o others but i cant remeber right now) all on dvd also the entire series of Outlaw Star in a cool dvd boxset! Any one know any good sites to buy anime/manga dvd's from? Imean the cheapest site, i know of ebay, i got outlaw star dvd boxset for £25 brand new!
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by goku)
I love anime and manga, I have some manga, namely dragonball. I love anime such as Outlaw Star, Cowboy bebop, gundam wing, Dragonball Z/ GT (best anime in my opinion!) Sailor Moon, there's too many to list, i love the movies as well, i have Appleseed, Blood: The last Vampire, Ninja Scroll, Ghost In the Shell (and a couple o others but i cant remeber right now) all on dvd also the entire series of Outlaw Star in a cool dvd boxset! Any one know any good sites to buy anime/manga dvd's from? Imean the cheapest site, i know of ebay, i got outlaw star dvd boxset for £25 brand new!
Heard of all of them, but again, not seen any. What's Ninja Scroll like?

http://www.play.com had anime at £14.99 per DVD, that's the best price I have found any for. Amazon sells some manga (the comics) at about £5 ish.

I haven't watched an episode of Dragonball but it just doesn't appeal- I've seen images/clips etc from it and the style is just so ugly!
goku
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Heard of all of them, but again, not seen any. What's Ninja Scroll like?

http://www.play.com had anime at £14.99 per DVD, that's the best price I have found any for. Amazon sells some manga (the comics) at about £5 ish.

I haven't watched an episode of Dragonball but it just doesn't appeal- I've seen images/clips etc from it and the style is just so ugly!
The best place ive found is probably e-bay. thanks anyway, the 'style' might seem ugly because it was made around 70's/80's! do u watch dbz?
goku
Report 15 years ago
Ninja Scroll is one of my best, really good story and loads of mint action and loads of gore. Outlaw Star is really good, second to dragonball z though!
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by goku)
Ninja Scroll is one of my best, really good story and loads of mint action and loads of gore.
Hmmm...sounds good.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I just finished watching Love Hina about 2 weeks ago and realised why I loved anime so much. I think it was too short with only 25 episodes and a few extras. I liked it so much that I pestered my friend to start watching it as well and now he is addicted himself. Also, I have started to watch Naruto and have watched the first 20 episodes and the fight scenes are so damn good. My friend also has it but he hasn't started watching it yet and I'm trying to convince him to do so as well. I also have seen a bit of Samurai X and even though it doesn't look as good as Naruto, it has impressed me so far. Anyways, thanks you guys for the suggestions!

And no, to whoever implied that I watch Toonami; well, I don't. I would rather die than watch that crappy channel.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Well I'm relieved that you're enjoying it. Where are you up to?

Was Love Hina only recently licensed? I was looking on various sites for it (for the possibility of buying) but it doesn't appear to have been released yet. I might consider getting the manga (£5.50 (per 'bit') from amazon)...I'll have to see.

I was also considering Samuri X, I saw there was a deal somewhere to get the whole lot (I think) for 40 odd quid. I had a look at an AMV of it and it looks ok -lots of blood and slicing!

I'm watching so much at the moment. Spent a very enjoyable day yestarday, practically solidly watching eps from various series' when I got home. Great fun but quite wicked in a way. :P
ironfrost
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Was Love Hina only recently licensed? I was looking on various sites for it (for the possibility of buying) but it doesn't appear to have been released yet. I might consider getting the manga (£5.50 (per 'bit') from amazon)...I'll have to see.
Love Hina was licenced ages ago, but Bandai don't have a UK distribution arm so you can only get it from the US. DVDPacific.com is the best place to import anime from, I find.

I wasn't so much of a fan of the anime version of Love Hina, but the manga is much better.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well yeah, i'm into anime, but its so hard to find, and i've got objections to paying £20 in places like HMV, which usually only stock second rate anime, and am waiting until i get a credit card before i import them from america or japan.
ironfrost
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well yeah, i'm into anime, but its so hard to find, and i've got objections to paying £20 in places like HMV, which usually only stock second rate anime, and am waiting until i get a credit card before i import them from america or japan.
If you've got objections to paying £20 for 4 or 5 episodes in HMV, importing from Japan is Not A Good Idea At All (TM). DVD's over there generally cost around 5000-6000 Yen (£25 - £30), and only contain one or two episodes. A lot of Japanese people import their anime from the UK.

America is good though. Go America, yay.
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ironfrost)
Love Hina was licenced ages ago, but Bandai don't have a UK distribution arm so you can only get it from the US. DVDPacific.com is the best place to import anime from, I find.

I wasn't so much of a fan of the anime version of Love Hina, but the manga is much better.
I almost ordered some Love Hina manga from Amazon a little while ago.
Yes- sorry, I realise it's licensed- I was getting it confused with Hikaru No Go (don't know why).

(Original post by Iluvatar)
I discovered Play.com sells anime at about £15. Better than HMV atleast.

But you can import so cheaply. I recently found a few sites and (as I don't have a credit card) my dad has been trying to sort out the ordering. I was thrilled at the time- though a wee bit irritated. I bought a DVD for £20 from HMV and I can (and hopefully am) ordering the whole series imported for about £24. Unfortunatly the damned people wont accept overseas credit cards (*grumbles*) but we're working on it, so fingers crossed.

Also- another benefit of importing- no dubbs! Hurrah! There's only the sub option which is good. The DVD I bought from HMV has an introduction in the really irritating American voice of one of the characters.

I heard some other dubbings the other day aswell- they just make me cringe. The American voices and phrases put in corrupt the whole anime. Leave it in Japanese damn it!
chocoholic_cat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Yes indeedy.
I have yet to see any of them. Heard a lot about Love Hina and Initial D. What is the basic plot of Initial D? Can you get it in the UK?
I have seen love Hina, its brill Hmm watched it through a downloaded version *but sorry cant help you dont quite know how my friend/ bro got it* Think my bro got it from a friend in uni and my friend just downloaded off the net from somewhere, if I find out will post it up =)

Inital D hmm never heard of it sorry, not too knowledeable in the world of anime.

(Original post by Egan1)
And yes, I love anime soundtracks and happily sing along in Japanese!
Agreed. England is somewhat restrictive for getting anime. The only stuff on TV is kid's Americanised dubbed which is a real shame, and there are few places I've found to get anime from. I'd never buy an anime without the subbed option as I can't bear to watch in American
There are a few good animes on digital like toonami had gundam wing on for a while *but noteably one of my friend said its mot as good as the older gundam series* but if you ever get a chance do see it, its great

Should also try watching cowboy be-hop and outlaw star both very funny

me I have seen: gundam wing, dragonball Z, dragonball, dragonball GT, cowboy be-hop, outlaw star, love Hina, so sailor moon *lol yeh sorry just happen to me on everytime I switch on the telly lol*

O you should also see "blood, the last vampire" it was quite a short manga, but pretty good =)
Egan1
Rep:
?
I'm watching so many series at the moment. It's a bit wicked really but lots of fun.

I'm going to have to ban myself from watching any during exam time next year.

-----
My friend said that Cartoon Network shows undubbed (eg- in Japanese) anime at midnight. Does anyone have the channel and know whether this is so?
chocoholic_cat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
I'm watching so many series at the moment. It's a bit wicked really but lots of fun.

I'm going to have to ban myself from watching any during exam time next year.

-----
My friend said that Cartoon Network shows undubbed (eg- in Japanese) anime at midnight. Does anyone have the channel and know whether this is so?
Hmm not that I have seen, you mean round about 2am etc? Nah not usually....but then again if Im up that late usually working and not paying too much attention to the tv *the subtitled animes are good but cartoon network dont do a terrible job of translating *
maddkat
Report 15 years ago
"American street racing is so crap. All you do is tune up your car like crazy, stick in some nitrous rockets and then RACE IN A STRAIGHT LINE! WHERE IS THE SKILL IN THAT! I'm sure my 3 year old cousin can do that!" & "A lot of people say that games based on Japanese street racing are crap but thats because they don't understand what drift is and they only know how to race in a straight line!"

You better know what you're talking about before your fingers hit the keys!
Drag racing is a culture that goes back to the horse/foot racing days, prior to the invention of the car. Not all cars use nitrous and in fact the classes are done such that should a nitrous racer face-off with a slower car has a penalty start (has to wait a few more seconds before they get the green) thereby equalizing the race. (Much the same as horse racing, when the faster horse get more weight) The true skill is in shifting. If you're off or over rev.......say bye-bye to your trans or engine. There's at least five or six cars that blow their engines at every race. The drivers get too pumped and don't stay focused.
It's only ONE form of racing, much as the 50 yard dash is only one form of running. I suggest you do a search under car racing. You'll find everything from homemade dune buggies to rocket cars, racing on everything from the Bonneville Salt Flats to the Appalachian Mountains.

I've personally drag, stock, street, indy and dune raced. They're ALL demanding and dangerous. My personal favorite is road rallies, because you have to use brains with skill.

Sorry to get in your face, but I had to set the record straight.

Nuf said...... my favorite animes are currently " Witch Hunter Robin" and an oldie but goodie, "ReBoot".

Cheers.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the last anime ive watched is Dragon Ball Z.
maddkat
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
the last anime ive watched is Dragon Ball Z.

DBZ is okay. It's the commercials that kill me. :-(
Do you have a Suncoast Video up there? They have an outrageous selection of anime. (drool drool)
There's stuff I've never heard of!
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
can't stand Anime
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i know someone who likes all this stuff, find it sad myself but each to theri own i suppose.....
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goku)
wouldn't have guessed from your name
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (37)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.85%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (98)
37.84%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.41%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.95%