The Student Room Group

Sexuality - Part of your DNA???

Hey so I'm Oliver and so today me and my friend were having an argument on the topic above and well he says it is and i say it isnt... and so i thought id see what other people think so here i am.

So just wondering what are your views on it? is part of your DNA or not?

I just cant see it being a part of it, like imagine your Religion, you follow one, whatever it is, your most likely to believe in whatever religion you see your parents are a part of, generally speaking that is, because well you are around them the most when your young and that is the time in your life when you are most influential, and so like isnt it similar to your sexuality??? Like wouldnt you think your upbringing (like if your parents accept gays or not) to be a massive factor in your sexuality?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

There's certainly a lot of scientific studies which support the idea that sexuality is genetically encoded

E.g.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2648332/Is-gay-DNA-Homosexual-men-share-genetic-similarities-study-claims.html
Reply 2
Original post by Platopus
There's certainly a lot of scientific studies which support the idea that sexuality is genetically encoded

E.g.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2648332/Is-gay-DNA-Homosexual-men-share-genetic-similarities-study-claims.html

Okay well that claims that it is homosexual men but not women. Also what if it is like a default gene which can be overridden with some upbringing and beliefs
No lol. How would that work because people that grew up with homophobic parents in strict religious households still come out gay.
Reply 4
Original post by loveleest
No lol. How would that work because people that grew up with homophobic parents in strict religious households still come out gay.

because not everybody actually takes on their parents advice, beliefs and opinions, and some of them wish to rebel against their parents because they have strict ones so when they search for something that they can express themselves how they wish.
Original post by SwampMagic
because not everybody actually takes on their parents advice, beliefs and opinions, and some of them wish to rebel against their parents because they have strict ones so when they search for something that they can express themselves how they wish.

lol... I don't agree but each to their own I guess!
Sexuality is influenced by a complex interplay between the genetics and environment,many scientists believe.
Reply 7
Original post by Kadak
Sexuality is influenced by a complex interplay between the genetics and environment,many scientists believe.

Okay, but what is the major contributing factor. Think about it, you can be born with blonde hair, but you can dye it.
Okay, but what is the major contributing factor. Think about it, you can be born with blonde hair, but you can dye it.

We don't know,it is an active area of research.
Reply 9
Original post by Kadak
We don't know,it is an active area of research.

okay, well thank you very much
If its purely DNA, how is it possible for identical twins to have different sexualities?

Congenital yes, probably. DNA only, no
Reply 11
Original post by Another
If its purely DNA, how is it possible for identical twins to have different sexualities?

Congenital yes, probably. DNA only, no

Nice point! I like it
There are likely several genetic factors at play, with some influence from the environment too
It's generally agreed to be a form of epigenetics, sometimes referred to as 'gene expression.' Some force outside the genes causes the 'gay gene' (obviously it's more complex than that) to express itself, leading to homosexuality. In the case of identical twins this can be seen as a difference in hormone intake between the two twins in the womb. This also explains why you are statistically more likely to be gay if you are the youngest sibling, as hormone levels in the womb differ between pregnancies.

What science has shown as an absolute is that there is effectively no choice at all in terms of an individuals sexuality, and it appears to be determined by the time you are born, though not necessarily at the time of conception.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
It's generally agreed to be a form of epigenetics, sometimes referred to as 'gene expression.' Some force outside the genes causes the 'gay gene' (obviously it's more complex than that) to express itself, leading to homosexuality. In the case of identical twins this can be seen as a difference in hormone intake between the two twins in the womb. This also explains why you are statistically more likely to be gay if you are the youngest sibling, as hormone levels in the womb differ between pregnancies.

What science has shown as an absolute is that there is effectively no choice at all in terms of an individuals sexuality, and it appears to be determined by the time you are born, though not necessarily at the time of conception.

While you can't choose your sexuality,surely it might be possible to change it the future ?Couldnt it be possible to silence or knockout the gene for homosexuality,for example,using technology such as CRISPR cas9 ?

The thing is, you can't actively change your sexuality.
Well it's not like you could just crave vaj at one point then suddenly decide you want some manass the next (unless you're Bi). Sexuality HAS to be connected to your genetic material.
There was a scientific theory a while back which proposed that homosexuality is a form of human evolution to stop overpopulation, and if this is the case then we can prove it by showing that homosexual males have less testosterone than straight males. I read about it but it didn't seem like they tested it on enough people and just concluded very early on that it can't be true. I think it is an interesting theory though.
Original post by Anonymous
There was a scientific theory a while back which proposed that homosexuality is a form of human evolution to stop overpopulation, and if this is the case then we can prove it by showing that homosexual males have less testosterone than straight males. I read about it but it didn't seem like they tested it on enough people and just concluded very early on that it can't be true. I think it is an interesting theory though.

It's a nice idea, but evolution doesn't really have an incentive like that. Also homosexuality has been a common trait of humanity throughout history, it hasn't exponentially increased alongside population.

I like the 'gay uncle' hypothesis myself, though I don't know how much evidence there is for it.
Part of the Y chromosome and it's associated histones. Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest