Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm welsh student studying Mechanical Engineering in Scotland who has just finished there 3rd of 4 years study for a BEng (Undergraduate degrees are a year longer in Scotland). Originally the plan was to do my masters and get an MEng at the same uni however now that I have better grades than expected I am planning on applying for an MSc in 5th year at a better uni. My question is whether I would still be eligible for a student loan from Student Finance Wales?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas Forsyth)
    Hello,

I'm welsh student studying Mechanical Engineering in Scotland who has just finished there 3rd of 4 years study for a BEng (Undergraduate degrees are a year longer in Scotland). Originally the plan was to do my masters and get an MEng at the same uni however now that I have better grades than expected I am planning on applying for an MSc in 5th year at a better uni. My question is whether I would still be eligible for a student loan for Student Finance Wales?
    Sadly not. Your MEng was only covered by SFW as it was part of an integrated course. If you move to a stand-alone MSc, there is no no funding. There is no equivalent of the Postgraduate Loan for Welsh residents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Sadly not. Your MEng was only covered by SFW as it was part of an integrated course. If you move to a stand-alone MSc, there is no no funding. There is no equivalent of the Postgraduate Loan for Welsh residents.
    He can apply for the Postgraduate loan from SFE no?
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/eligibility

Eligibility:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Your nationality or residency statusYou can get the Postgraduate Loan if all of the following apply:
    • you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’, ie there are no restrictions on how long you can stay
    • you normally live in England
    • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
    You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and both the following apply:
    • you’re living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course
    • you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)
    You could also be eligible if you’re:
    • the child of a Swiss national
    • the child of a Turkish worker
    • a refugee or a relative of one
    • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one
    • under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it
    • 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years or at least half your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashbbk)
    He can apply for the Postgraduate loan from SFE no?
    https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/eligibility

Eligibility:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Your nationality or residency statusYou can get the Postgraduate Loan if all of the following apply:
    • you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’, ie there are no restrictions on how long you can stay
    • you normally live in England
    • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
    You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and both the following apply:
    • you’re living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course
    • you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)
    You could also be eligible if you’re:
    • the child of a Swiss national
    • the child of a Turkish worker
    • a refugee or a relative of one
    • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one
    • under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it
    • 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years or at least half your life
    Unfortunately not. The way that Student Finance works, you cannot be considered an EU resident if you live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. UK regional residence trumps EU residence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.