The Student Room Group

history

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jennim

So far, for a question, i have only got "To what extent were the effects of European Imperialism in Africa during 1869-1980 (1914)?". Is this question good enough? what can i debate about if i used this?

As it stands, that question doesn't actually make sense.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
As it stands, that question doesn't actually make sense.

how?
Original post by Jennim
how?

"To what extent were the effects of European Imperialism in Africa during 1869-1980 (1914)?"

Do you mean something like "How great were the effects..." or "What were the main effects of..." or "How extensive were..."?
what ageshallnot said. Your title doesnt make sense.

Imo pick something original, that interests you and a have clear idea about what you wish to say.
Following what it says on the AQA page would seem to lack originality and they may expect you to make your case to a higher standard if its already been laid out for you.

Be sure to talk to your teacher for guidance.
Typically, your teacher should be giving some kind of guidance and be helping adapt the question so it's okay - there was a lot of that with mine.

But general rule of thumb, as long as you're not studying the topic and there's enough about it, it should be okay.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
"To what extent were the effects of European Imperialism in Africa during 1869-1980 (1914)?"

Do you mean something like "How great were the effects..." or "What were the main effects of..." or "How extensive were..."?

oh ok. Thank you, that is great help. Any ideas on an area of debate?
Reply 7
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Typically, your teacher should be giving some kind of guidance and be helping adapt the question so it's okay - there was a lot of that with mine.

But general rule of thumb, as long as you're not studying the topic and there's enough about it, it should be okay.

Thanks for replying. I just wan't sure if i was allowed to use the exemplar on the AQA page.
Reply 8
Original post by Jennim

Success? Requirement to colonise?
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
what ageshallnot said. Your title doesnt make sense.

Imo pick something original, that interests you and a have clear idea about what you wish to say.
Following what it says on the AQA page would seem to lack originality and they may expect you to make your case to a higher standard if its already been laid out for you.

Be sure to talk to your teacher for guidance.

Yeah i was just unsure whether i was actually allowed to do the same topic as the one on the exemplar. Now that you've said it, i have some of my own ideas id like to add it to make it a bit more original.
You need to look at key historiographical debates.

This seems pretty good to look at - http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdorsey1/41syl/histdeb2.html

There's also:
- holocaust
- causes of WW1
- causes of WW2
- what fascism is

To name a few more...
Original post by Jennim

Not beyond the observation that it is a very wide topic - Africa is a very big place and the 'effects of Imperialism' are many and varied.
Reply 12
@TSR Moderator @usycool1 @Lucilou101 @Airmed please delete this thread, there are multiple copies of the same which i have changed
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest