Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am an English Graduate who has taken a wrong turn in life! I have been working for 2+ years after my degree and am set on getting into dentistry, and will do whatever it takes.

My options are re-doing my A-Levels in Chem, Biol, and probably Maths during the next two years whilst still working full-time, or quit my job and do an access to medicine course.

As I am already a wild-card to admissions, which option would you say was the most reputable, and give me the better chance of getting in?: access to medicine, or re-doing A-Levels?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deano2016)
    Hi guys,

I am an English Graduate who has taken a wrong turn in life! I have been working for 2+ years after my degree and am set on getting into dentistry, and will do whatever it takes.

My options are re-doing my A-Levels in Chem, Biol, and probably Maths during the next two years whilst still working full-time, or quit my job and do an access to medicine course.

As I am already a wild-card to admissions, which option would you say was the most reputable, and give me the better chance of getting in?: access to medicine, or re-doing A-Levels?

Thanks!
    I would recommend speaking to admissions departments directly to ask what they think is best. I would expect A Levels will give you the most options of where you want to apply to.

Do you have a particular uni in mind? University of Liverpool offer Foundation to Health and Veterinary which is 6 years including 1 year at a local college. The entry requirements are 5 b grade GCSEs and then you just need to pass the year at college with 70% and you are guaranteed a place on the dentistry degree.

Also you need to look at funding as I'm not sure if you will be eligible for a second student loan.

ReputationRep:
    And whatever you do get relevant work experience. The more the better as this is essential for any application to dentistry

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response! I have found that there are 4 Uni's that take the access course, and 2 Uni's that take my current A-Levels (only two as others are asking for better GCSEs + AS's).Therefore the access course seems like I have more chance, but I don't know if it looks special enough. Agree on funding and experience - will cover!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.