Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On the international entrance requirement's page it says it's usually a 7.5 in IELTS but then on postgraduate admissions it's just a 7 for most science phds. How can this be? What are the specific requirements for say, engineering undergraduates?

ReputationRep:
    If you were to study English language at Cambridge as an international student you would have to have an overall grade of 7.5 at IELTS. My point is that the requirements are the same for all Cambridge undergraduate students.

P.S. I am doing IELTS this summer. Gonna apply at Oxford for biological sciences. They require 7.0 (at least it is not a whooping 7.5)
    I do not think that it is hard to get a overall grade of 7.5 at IELTS but having at least a 7.0 in each section.....
    I find it really nerve wracking...Let's say that you get 7.0 8.0 9.0 6.5 .......And then you did not satisfy the requirements just because of that freaking 0.5 ....
    We should create an IELTS/ TOEFL thread for all Oxbridge students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    If you were to study English language at Cambridge as an international student you would have to have an overall grade of 7.5 at IELTS. My point is that the requirements are the same for all Cambridge undergraduate students.

P.S. I am doing IELTS this summer. Gonna apply at Oxford for biological sciences. They require 7.0 (at least it is not a whooping 7.5)
    I do not think that it is hard to get a overall grade of 7.5 at IELTS but having at least a 7.0 in each section.....
    I find it really nerve wracking...Let's say that you get 7.0 8.0 9.0 6.5 .......And then you did not satisfy the requirements just because of that freaking 0.5 ....
    We should create an IELTS/ TOEFL thread for all Oxbridge students
    I'm also taking IELTS this summer but I haven't done any practice yet. How are you getting on?

ReputationRep:
    I am just praying to get a solid 8.0 at speaking (there I feel the most confident), for writing I am hoping for 7.0 . Whatever I do I have simply to screw my writing, even-though I think that it is not super duper bad.
    I just want that holy 7.5
    I am just practicing from the Cambridge books, currently on the 9th edition (hopefully going to cover them all).
    Gonna do them on 30th of July!!!
    Do you know how long do we need to wait for the results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    I am just praying to get a solid 8.0 at speaking (there I feel the most confident), for writing I am hoping for 7.0 . Whatever I do I have simply to screw my writing, even-though I think that it is not super duper bad.
    I just want that holy 7.5
    I am just practicing from the Cambridge books, currently on the 9th edition (hopefully going to cover them all).
    Gonna do them on 30th of July!!!
    Do you know how long do we need to wait for the results?
    You'll receive a test report form 13 days after the exam. Mine is on the 16th of July.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.