Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question 6:

\mathrm{The\ curve} C \mathrm{has\ equation}

y = 4 \sqrt x^5\ - 1\ , \ x\geq 0

\mathrm{Show\ clearly\ that}

4x^2 \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}\ -15\ y=k

\mathrm{Where} k \mathrm{is\ an\ integer\ to\ be\ found}

I've never covered this so I'm unsure what the interaction is when \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2} Is part of the equation. Or even how to approach this.

Anyway I've done the easy part: \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}\ =\ 15x^{1/2}
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Question 6:

\mathrm{The\ curve} C \mathrm{has\ equation}

y = 4 \sqrt x^5\ - 1\ , \ x\geq 0

\mathrm{Show\ clearly\ that}

4x^2 \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}\ -15\ y=k

\mathrm{Where} k \mathrm{is\ an\ integer\ to\ be\ found}

I've never covered this so I'm unsure what the interaction is when \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2} Is part of the equation. Or even how to approach this.

Anyway I've done the easy part: \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}\ =\ 15x^{1/2}
    There isn't anything that is beyond C1 here.

The question is just asking you to show that the equation is true where k is an integer.

So multiply \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2} by 4x^2 then subtract 15y and you should end up with an integer once you've simplified.

EDIT : If you've written the question correctly then your \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2} is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If that \sqrt{x}^5 is meant to mean x^{\frac{5}{2}} then your \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} seems correct. Once you multiply that by 4x^2 you are left with 60x^{5/2}.

Now subtract 15y = 15(4 \cdot x^{5/2} - 1) = 60x^{\frac{5}{2}} - 15 away from that, what integer are you left with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    If that \sqrt{x}^5 is meant to mean x^{\frac{5}{2}} then your \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} seems correct. Once you multiply that by 4x^2 you are left with 60x^{5/2}.

Now subtract 15y = 15(4 \cdot x^{5/2} - 1) = 60x^{\frac{5}{2}} - 15 away from that, what integer are you left with?
    Ah, so It would just be 15, K=15.

Since this is obviously not C1, would this be covered in C2. If not what unit?

ReputationRep:

Yeah, sounds about right.

idk, looks like standard C1 to me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

Ignore what I said about your \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} being wrong.

This is a C1 question. Maybe the question is a bit different to something that you would see in e.g. an Edexcel paper.

What about it makes you think it's beyond C1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Ignore what I said about your \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} being wrong.

This is a C1 question. Maybe the question is a bit different to something that you would see in e.g. an Edexcel paper.

What about it makes you think it's beyond C1?
    Maybe it just uses concepts from C1, just on steroids.

I've done every official Edexcel C1 exam paper, and I've never come across a question like this.

The most you do with \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}is literally just differentiating a second time, that's it.

ReputationRep:

I've done every official Edexcel C1 exam paper, and I've never come across a question like this.

The most you do with \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}is literally just differentiating a second time, that's it.
    It's not on steroids, it is a fairly simple application, just somewhat unusual for Edexcel. It is good to look at IYGB because its slightly offbeat questions like this one are still entirely on the Edexcel syllabus and might be similar to the sort of thing Edexcel sometimes throw in to differentiate (not in the maths way..) at the top level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    It's not on steroids, it is a fairly simple application, just somewhat unusual for Edexcel. It is good to look at IYGB because its slightly offbeat questions like this one are still entirely on the Edexcel syllabus and might be similar to the sort of thing Edexcel sometimes throw in to differentiate (not in the maths way..) at the top level.
    Yup, completely agree. I've learnt some really neat things from doing I.Y.G.B papers.

ReputationRep:
    No, it is a simple and standard concept from C1. This would have been a very easy GCSE question for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No, it is a simple and standard concept from C1. This would have been a very easy GCSE question for me.
    Well that's good for you & I'm sorry I'm not as "good" at maths as you were when you were doing GCSEs/ AS's.

It's clearly not a standard C1 concept, at least on an Edexcel paper, given by the fact I've never seen that type of question before. That said no need to be so aggressive man :/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.