Is the way we game changing? Watch

PugDevil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
With the introduction of Virtual Reality, we are witnessing a new way to 'game'. Companies are investing a lot of money into this technology as they see it as the next big thing, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Additionally, the use of microtransactions and DLC is becoming all too frequent in games nowadays. EA seem to be mostly responsible for starting this trend, but it is costing gamers more and more money, despite the already expensive base prices for the game. The content seems to be going down, whilst the prices go up.

Are you okay with the direction of video games at the present? Will gaming always be a keyboard and mouse/controller to you? Do you dislike EA (Although unfortunately they make games that I like so I still buy them!)
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
EA :shakecane:

VR makes me worry that I am becoming out of touch. I have little to no interest in VR, I'm still enjoying games that are way old (this isn't a bad way to play games I found, it's much cheaper and time sorts out the good from the bad for you).

So... I am making sure to save some money so that when VR becomes mainstream I can get involved and not fall behind.:lockstock: I look at some older people who have no idea how to use the internet or computers and I'm scared of being like that :afraid:
PugDevil
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
EA :shakecane:

VR makes me worry that I am becoming out of touch. I have little to no interest in VR, I'm still enjoying games that are way old (this isn't a bad way to play games I found, it's much cheaper and time sorts out the good from the bad for you).

So... I am making sure to save some money so that when VR becomes mainstream I can get involved and not fall behind.:lockstock: I look at some older people who have no idea how to use the internet or computers and I'm scared of being like that :afraid:
I love that ':shakecane:'! Describes EA to the tee!

I completely agree with what you said about VR though, I don't have any interest in it either really! From what I've seen, I am scared that it'll give me motion sickness! Gaming is meant to be about relaxing and although VR looks fun, it looks like an expensive gimmick! :eviltongue:
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

What about old people who can;t use a smart phone but can machine code?

My old head of laboratory physics was like that :laugh:

VR is in no way taken over yet and "normal" games will not dissapear any time soon. At the mo VR is for "tech geeks" who have enough disposable cash. People don't like having to put on £D glasses never mind sticking your head in a sweaty box

I want a Vive and Oculus rift but I just don;t have the money to spend on something which still looks like a gimmick.

Also there is a reason people still use a mouse after all these years.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PugDevil)
I love that ':shakecane:'! Describes EA to the tee!

I completely agree with what you said about VR though, I don't have any interest in it either really! From what I've seen, I am scared that it'll give me motion sickness! Gaming is meant to be about relaxing and although VR looks fun, it looks like an expensive gimmick! :eviltongue:
That's what they always say about new tech. Beware!

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
What about old people who can;t use a smart phone but can machine code?

My old head of laboratory physics was like that :laugh:
I can't code or doing anything useful with tech :ashamed:
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's what they always say about new tech. Beware!

They always say the opposite as well. How ti is going to revolutionise. They keep trying it with 3D films and TV.

VR is in no way going to take over yet and "normal" games will not dissapear any time soon. At the mo VR is for "tech geeks" who have enough disposable cash. People don't like having to put on 3D glasses never mind sticking your head in a sweaty box

I want a Vive and Oculus rift but I just don;t have the money to spend on something which still looks like a gimmick with no longevity.

Also you use tech to make words on a student forum
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im excited for VR ,although it looks weird when people do it on public transport.
EA are so greedy,they were voted most unpopular company a couple of times.
Although Wargaming is worse imo.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My friends and I were recently talking about exactly the same thing! With so much being put into VR, I think we might see gaming veer towards it. This is unfortunate for me, because like you guys I have little interest in it. I don't want to spend loads of money just to feel sick! I'd much rather chill with my mouse and my keyboard in my comfy chair, or even in bed with a controller. I'm definitely getting sick of all this DLC business. I don't mind DLCs for cosmetic content but damn I don't want to have to buy the game, and then buy a bunch of DLCs just to unlock more of the actual game. I'll be keeping to my keyboard and mouse
username1533709
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They always say the opposite as well. How ti is going to revolutionise. They keep trying it with 3D films and TV.

VR is in no way going to take over yet and "normal" games will not dissapear any time soon. At the mo VR is for "tech geeks" who have enough disposable cash. People don't like having to put on 3D glasses never mind sticking your head in a sweaty box

I want a Vive and Oculus rift but I just don;t have the money to spend on something which still looks like a gimmick with no longevity.

Sweaty box ?The Sony VR headset looked cool !
Carpediemxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've had a vive for 2 months now and while it's definitely an enthusiasts product atm, as soon as it's wireless and 4k it'll be the best way to game tbh this will allow the content to catch up
Golden State
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's all about $$ now. VR just seems like a fad.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Sweaty box ?The Sony VR headset looked cool !
Try having your head in that for more than an hour on a hot summers day.

It all looks cool. It just isn't going to replace what already exists.
username1533709
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try having your head in that for more than an hour on a hot summers day.

It all looks cool. It just isn't going to replace what already exists.
I agree PC is still the most reliable.
Although something has to replace it eventually.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, I think VR will fail or have a niche market. DLC is too frequent and content is cut for it, although games are much longer than they used to be. I'd prefer there to be more focus on actual gameplay and story rather than niche mechanics of the game.
PugDevil
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
No, I think VR will fail or have a niche market. DLC is too frequent and content is cut for it, although games are much longer than they used to be. I'd prefer there to be more focus on actual gameplay and story rather than niche mechanics of the game.
Yeah I agree and I feel as though that's the mass opinion from gamers. But still these big publishers, Activision and EA for example, continue to push for profit

I mean you don't have to look any further than the backlash against the COD: Infinite Warfare trailer and Activision saying they didn't care about the hostility toward it. The sad truth is that people are going to buy it and there will never be a mass boycott of any game that big
Saeedpoppa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think VR will be replacing KB+M/controller any time soon. At the moment, with all the space and equipment required it's just way too inconvenient and unless you're rocking an omnidirectional treadmill the end result isn't really worth it.
And micro-transactions aren't inherently a bad thing, so long as it's implemented in such a way that it doesn't affect gameplay. I'm mostly okay with Overwatch's implementation, but mainly because unlike the typical EA game it's not going to be abandoned after 1-2 years. Also with The Witcher 3's expansions CD Projekt RED have given the AAA games industry quite a strong kick up the backside, proving to them that DLC can give customers good value whilst still being successful. Hopefully this'll pave the way for other studios to start doing the same, but I somehow doubt it.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In the very distant future when VR overtakes traditional forms of gaming, I'll be very concerned. More and more people will start using it as an outlet to escape their real life, and as impressive as VR is, it's a very slippery slope IMO.

But the introduction of microtransactions especially into Apps as well has cost people dearly & the fact that games seem ridiculously priced nowadays (EA charging £60 for the Sims 4 like no ****ing thank you)... barring Steam.

I hate EA for what they did to The Sim franchise
PugDevil
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saeedpoppa)
I don't think VR will be replacing KB+M/controller any time soon. At the moment, with all the space and equipment required it's just way too inconvenient and unless you're rocking an omnidirectional treadmill the end result isn't really worth it.
And micro-transactions aren't inherently a bad thing, so long as it's implemented in such a way that it doesn't affect gameplay. I'm mostly okay with Overwatch's implementation, but mainly because unlike the typical EA game it's not going to be abandoned after 1-2 years. Also with The Witcher 3's expansions CD Projekt RED have given the AAA games industry quite a strong kick up the backside, proving to them that DLC can give customers good value whilst still being successful. Hopefully this'll pave the way for other studios to start doing the same, but I somehow doubt it.
I really hope this is the case. At least it gives us some hope! I have no complaints paying extra money toward content if it is as big as that. But if it was like £5 for a new skin for a weapon or something...

(Original post by Inexorably)
In the very distant future when VR overtakes traditional forms of gaming, I'll be very concerned. More and more people will start using it as an outlet to escape their real life, and as impressive as VR is, it's a very slippery slope IMO.

But the introduction of microtransactions especially into Apps as well has cost people dearly & the fact that games seem ridiculously priced nowadays (EA charging £60 for the Sims 4 like no ****ing thank you)... barring Steam.

I love the Sims, but I just don't bother buying it anymore because of the ridiculous amount of expansion packs that they release

Agreed on the VR. Gaming is supposed to provide some kind of escape to reality, but VR has the potential to provide another life. Imagine Inception but with VR where people never come out! :afraid:
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)

Mobile gaming has been a bit ruined by the direction apps have gone - when I go in the store these days there are just loads and loads AND LOADS of those sim/building games which have a time limit on progression and make you fork out to upgrade things or just to play the game. Most of these games companies are held up by "whales" who spend loads of money on them.

It's a shame because there have been some really good mobile games but I feel like it's too difficult to find good ones amongst all the spam clone games. I've always been happy to pay for good mobile games too I wish we could go back to that model.
The_Meritocrat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lord Gaben)
It's all about $$ now. VR just seems like a fad.
Lord Gaben, does this mean you will not be making HL2 Episode 2.1 in VR? :cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (447)
59.13%
Yes- I don't like it (42)
5.56%
No- I want it (217)
28.7%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.61%

Watched Threads