Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I will be starting my U6 year in september which means UCAS begins..,..................the only problem is I have no idea what i want to study.
    (fyi my a-levels are biology chemistry physics and maths). I know I want to do something that involves lab work so I'm wondering should I just do pure chemistry or a strand of chemistry like pharmacology or forensics or should i do something more open like natural science.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Kate

ReputationRep:
    Biology also has a tonne of lab work involved, if you want to go down that route too. I would advise reading some books around a bunch of science subjects, and one of them is bound to leap off the page at you.

Alternatively, you can look through a list of researchers and see whose job you envy the most.

Brilliant thing about research and lab work is that you can literally do whatever you want. Flick through a couple of science and technology magazines, see which pages captivate you the most, and work towards that career

As far as suggestions go, if I could have chosen another degree, it would have been in Neuroscience or Biotechnology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Brilliant thing about research and lab work is that you can literally do whatever you want. Flick through a couple of science and technology magazines, see which pages captivate you the most, and work towards that career
    Thank you..that sounds like great advice
    What degree did you do then :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate Simmonds)
    Hi I will be starting my U6 year in september which means UCAS begins..,..................the only problem is I have no idea what i want to study.
    (fyi my a-levels are biology chemistry physics and maths). I know I want to do something that involves lab work so I'm wondering should I just do pure chemistry or a strand of chemistry like pharmacology or forensics or should i do something more open like natural science.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Kate
    I think the advice of Another is really good. I think it's important to really understand which roads the different degrees would lead you down. There is a lot more to any of the sciences than just the lab work and so you would need to enjoy the whole subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate Simmonds)
    Thank you..that sounds like great advice
    What degree did you do then :P
    Dentistry - but I start a module in Craniofacial development next term. I'm hoping a full year of a research based course is enough to keep my inner child happy, before I go back to drilling teeth :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.