Should I enter Clearing or not?

Watch this thread
Andu123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi TSR,

I am a international student from Estonia looking to study Multimedia Computing in the UK. I currently have gotten a unconditional offer in UCAS Extra from Aston University for their Engineering & Applied Science Foundation Programme. I would really like to get a programme without the foundation year to save time and money (9000£ for the foundation year) however my exams and average grade are pretty dreadful (Average grade: 3,68 out of 5 and three exams combine to 55% out of 100%). Univerisities (Aston included) usually want a minimum average grade 4 and 65%-80% on exams depending on the university. Even though my grades and exams are pretty bad I'm still looking to find the best possible university and offer that I can.
  • Would it be worth the risk for me to go into Clearing and try to get into a university (preferably Aston or a university with similar/better ranking) without the foundation year or should I confirm my foundation year offer with Aston?
  • How likely is it for universities to lower their minimum requirements during Clearing?
  • Does it have any advantage that I know my final exam and grade results?
Also it is worth noting that Multimedia Computing programmes don't have huge competition for places as far as I've heard.

Thanks in advance,
Andu
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Andu123)
Hi TSR,

I am a international student from Estonia looking to study Multimedia Computing in the UK. I currently have gotten a unconditional offer in UCAS Extra from Aston University for their Engineering & Applied Science Foundation Programme. I would really like to get a programme without the foundation year to save time and money (9000£ for the foundation year) however my exams and average grade are pretty dreadful (Average grade: 3,68 out of 5 and three exams combine to 55% out of 100%). Univerisities (Aston included) usually want a minimum average grade 4 and 65%-80% on exams depending on the university. Even though my grades and exams are pretty bad I'm still looking to find the best possible university and offer that I can.
  • Would it be worth the risk for me to go into Clearing and try to get into a university (preferably Aston or a university with similar/better ranking) without the foundation year or should I confirm my foundation year offer with Aston?
  • How likely is it for universities to lower their minimum requirements during Clearing?
  • Does it have any advantage that I know my final exam and grade results?
Also it is worth noting that Multimedia Computing programmes don't have huge competition for places as far as I've heard.

Thanks in advance,
Andu
Whether is risk is worth it is something you have to decide yourself. Some universities lower them and some don't so dont bank on them being lower. Yes as you can apply through clearing as soon as your firm puts you into it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (66)
16.14%
The paper was reasonable (200)
48.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
24.69%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads