Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and am growing quite a bit still, currently 5"11(meaning I've grown by 1 foot in the last 4/5 years) and weigh around 60kg. I want to gain muscle but I have the lanky body type in which makes it difficult for me to gain mass, let alone muscle. But anyway, I'm too embarrassed to wear just a t-shirt, so I'm even more embarrassed to go to the gym thus I would prefer to workout in my bedroom. I also don't have any equipment and I don't intend to buy any, if you could link me to some workout plans using just my body weight it'd be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I was lanky as well a few years ago, was 6'3 and weighed 68kg, I'm now 6'5 and weigh 90kg. Yes we are more likely to have a faster metabolism rate, but that doesn't mean we can't put on mass. Don't even worry about looking out of place, thats the whole point of being there, if people see you there regularly trying to make a change, they will respect you. Also trust me, don't even bother with body weight exercises, its the worst thing you can do as a thin person. Sure, some push and pull ups will get you stronger but you will still be thin. The gym is the best option.

I go 5 days a week and split my routine like this.

Monday - Chest/Legs (Bench press, Fly's, Incline dumbbell press/ Squats, Calf press)
    Tuesday - Back/Biceps (Deadlifts, Bent over rows, T Bar Rows, Pull ups/ Barbell curls, Hammer curls)
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Legs/Triceps (Skull crushers, Tricep extensions, Dips)
    Friday - Chest/Biceps
    Saturday - Shoulders/Traps (Overhead press, Lateral raises, Facepull/ Shrugs, Farmers walk)
    Sunday - Rest

The best exercises for each muscle group are outline in brackets.

However, the most important factor is nutrition. If you don't eat right then there is no point in going, literally. Count your calories and try to start off with 2500, then raise it to 3000, for protein aim for about 100g. Buy mass gainers of a site called myprotien.com (used it for ages and is really cheap). Foods like rice, eggs, nuts, milk, pasta are all really good for bulking, try not to over do it on saturated fat and salt though.

Good luck on your journey and stay consistent, pls don't half ass it other wise i will be mad for writing this entire essay XD
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Bad advice is bad above.

You don't have a high metabolism. You do not know how to eat enough consistently, that is your problem. You need to find ways to increase the amount you can eat a day. People have different stratergies, some people drink a lot of milk. Some people eat lots of peanut butter and jam sandwiches in between meals. You need high calorie dense foods and to increase the portions you have for your 3 meals a day. That's how

For more information, read the FAQ it has routines and specific advice on how to eat more http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

Also at 5'11 you aren't lanky, you're just skinny fyi!

Honestly you shouldn't be nervous about going to the gym. For one nobody cares that you're there - you're just another person working out. People are busy enough doing their own workouts to think about you. The barrier is not other people, the only barrier is the one you're artificially creating. Sure you'd prefer to workout in your room - but there's only two ways about it really, the easy way and the right way. And if you want to see results you're better off going to a gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Bad advice is bad above.

You don't have a high metabolism. You do not know how to eat enough consistently, that is your problem. You need to find ways to increase the amount you can eat a day. People have different stratergies, some people drink a lot of milk. Some people eat lots of peanut butter and jam sandwiches in between meals. You need high calorie dense foods and to increase the portions you have for your 3 meals a day. That's how

For more information, read the FAQ it has routines and specific advice on how to eat more http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

Also at 5'11 you aren't lanky, you're just skinny fyi!
    Bad advise? I was skinny and my metabolism was through the roof? what are you on about

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.