The Student Room Group

Struggling with choosing A levels

I've always wanted a career in design. I enjoyed geography at school and am okay at maths so in college I thought of doing 3-D design (to be an architect) and having the geography and maths to support this. But I'm unsure if I can handle maths a level so I could do use of mathematics but I don't think it would look as good on a CV? Also I could graphic design instead of geography. That means I would have more career routes as I could go into advertising and media which I'd also like. But I don't know if I should just have the geography so I have a more direct route to architecture? Also I'm not sure if having two art based subjects would be too much but it would be great to do graphics, but I also love geography so I don't know what to choose
Reply 1
Original post by Student092
I've always wanted a career in design. I enjoyed geography at school and am okay at maths so in college I thought of doing 3-D design (to be an architect) and having the geography and maths to support this. But I'm unsure if I can handle maths a level so I could do use of mathematics but I don't think it would look as good on a CV? Also I could graphic design instead of geography. That means I would have more career routes as I could go into advertising and media which I'd also like. But I don't know if I should just have the geography so I have a more direct route to architecture? Also I'm not sure if having two art based subjects would be too much but it would be great to do graphics, but I also love geography so I don't know what to choose

Well, in my local area, architecture is considered part of the arts, so if you pick fine art, and design technology, that should look good.
The people I know who took A-level maths found it extremely challenging, so maybe you should look at some of the syllabus first, and if you're not a maths freak, something like IT or Physics could be a good alternative.
After you finish A-level, you don't have to go straight to uni and study one of those subjects. Most uni's offer interviews, so why not produce a little bit of work on the side as a personal interest.
Also, as someone who's done 4 art A-levels, (Art, Design, Photography, and Film) it's a lot of course work, but you can get most of it done in class, and it means little or no exams, so there is more security with your grades.
Original post by Student092

I did Geography A-Level and absolutely loved it! Do what subjects you enjoy now and are genuinely interested in, you'll do so much better than picking 'clever/not soft' a levels because you'll be so much more motivated. Maths is a massive step up from A-level, but don't let it put you off if it's something you really want to do. Don't worry too much about career pathways as most university courses look at grades/points rather than the selection of subjects. Remember you pick at least 3 A-Levels so you could do Geography, Maths and Graphic Design, plus something like Media or Business which makes your choices more varied and not putting you down a specific route.
Reply 3
Maths would be good for architecture without a doubt, serious architects are all strong mathematicians. Though the stuff covered in A-Level Maths isn't essential to architecture, it is valuable for problem solving skills and logical thinking. I would recommend taking Maths, or perhaps Physics - it would also help in working with Engineers, which architects do a lot.
As I said it isn't essential, but incredibly useful to have in your pocket.
Lots of TSR advice here about Choosing 6th Form Subjects : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

And about Choosing a subject at Uni - because one usually follows the other .... : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20649-I-want-to-go-to-uni-but-I-dont-know-what-to-study

And the TSR Board for Architecture/Built Environment courses : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=256

Quick Reply

Latest