The Student Room Group

Open University/A-Levels/Brick University

I didn't do A-Levels due to bad mental health problems, and am going to start an English Language and Literature Degree in October for 60 credits. I really want to go to a brick uni, however, and am wondering the best way of going about that? Should I continue with the OU to start my degree and see if I can transfer my credits to a brick uni? Or should I find a way to do A-Levels and apply normally through UCAS? I'm not sure how I can do A-Levels, however, and I'm worried about going to uni a year later than people in my class. Someone please help, I'm getting myself really worked up over all of this!!
Reply 1
Tagging: @snuffkin :smile:
You almost certainly won't be able to transfer into the second year of a brick university degree with first year OU credits. But most universities do accept OU credits for entry into the first year as an alternative to A levels or an Access to HE course. I suggest you contact all the universities you want to apply to and ask exactly how many credits they require. I had to do 120 credits at level 1, but I know someone who only needed to do 60.

You will lose some of your student loan entitlement if you do study with the Open University (even if you pay for it yourself). Your loan entitlement is calculated using this formula: length of degree - previous years of university study + one 'gift' year = loan entitlement. But as long as you only study with the OU for one academic year then you will still have enough loan entitlement left to pay for a full degree, you just won't get a gift year (most people never use their gift year, they're really only used if you fail a year and need to retake it).

Would you be able to do an Access to HE course (more information about what they are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311), if you could do one then I think you should. They are cheaper than the OU and you will get a lot more support.

Original post by jneill
Tagging: @snuffkin :smile:

That's not me! :lol: :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin

It seems to have worked though :tongue:
Original post by Snufkin
You almost certainly won't be able to transfer into the second year of a brick university degree with first year OU credits. But most universities do accept OU credits for entry into the first year as an alternative to A levels or an Access to HE course. I suggest you contact all the universities you want to apply to and ask exactly how many credits they require. I had to do 120 credits at level 1, but I know someone who only needed to do 60.

You will lose some of your student loan entitlement if you do study with the Open University (even if you pay for it yourself). Your loan entitlement is calculated using this formula: length of degree - previous years of university study + one 'gift' year = loan entitlement. But as long as you only study with the OU for one academic year then you will still have enough loan entitlement left to pay for a full degree, you just won't get a gift year (most people never use their gift year, they're really only used if you fail a year and need to retake it).

Would you be able to do an Access to HE course (more information about what they are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311), if you could do one then I think you should. They are cheaper than the OU and you will get a lot more support.

So if I were to have 60 OU credits, some universities would accept that instead of A-Levels? I'm not really interested in getting into the most prestigious universities or anything, I just really think a brick uni will be more beneficial and will be something I enjoy more.

Could I just do an Access course for the next year instead of A-Levels, then, and go straight to a brick uni from there? Would I need any higher qualifications than GCSEs? I'll definitely ring up individual universities and see, though. Do you know of any in particular who are known to accepting OU credits/Access courses?

Would 120 credits at Level 1 be possible in an academic year, as to not tarnish my student loan entitlement, or would you just suggest an Access course instead?

Thank you so so much for all of your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of my questions.
Original post by ameliarosexo
So if I were to have 60 OU credits, some universities would accept that instead of A-Levels? I'm not really interested in getting into the most prestigious universities or anything, I just really think a brick uni will be more beneficial and will be something I enjoy more.

Could I just do an Access course for the next year instead of A-Levels, then, and go straight to a brick uni from there? Would I need any higher qualifications than GCSEs? I'll definitely ring up individual universities and see, though. Do you know of any in particular who are known to accepting OU credits/Access courses?

Would 120 credits at Level 1 be possible in an academic year, as to not tarnish my student loan entitlement, or would you just suggest an Access course instead?

Thank you so so much for all of your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of my questions.

I really don't know. You might find a university that is happy to accept you with 60 credits, but you need to ask them to be sure.

Yes you could. As far as I know there are no entry requirements for Access courses, colleges assess applicants on a case by case basis. I didn't apply to study English, but UCL, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh and Aberdeen all accepted me with OU credits.

I think it would be possible to do 120 level 1 credits in an academic year, but it would be a hard slog.
Original post by Snufkin
I really don't know. You might find a university that is happy to accept you with 60 credits, but you need to ask them to be sure.

Yes you could. As far as I know there are no entry requirements for Access courses, colleges assess applicants on a case by case basis. I didn't apply to study English, but UCL, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh and Aberdeen all accepted me with OU credits.

I think it would be possible to do 120 level 1 credits in an academic year, but it would be a hard slog.

Do you think an Access course is more preferable to universities than 60 credits at Level 1? Or do you think I should find some way of doing A-Levels and go onto a brick uni after that?
Do you think an Access course is more preferable to universities than 60 credits at Level 1? Or do you think I should find some way of doing A-Levels and go onto a brick uni after that?

Hard to say. Certainly universities are more used to Access courses as they are a fairly common qualification these days, but whether that makes them more preferable... I have no idea. Do what is best for you. If your illness makes classroom situations difficult then the OU might be a good option, but if you need a lot of academic support then an Access course would be better.

I don't see any advantage to doing A levels though, not unless you hate coursework and love exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Hard to say. Certainty universities are more used to Access courses as they are a fairly common qualification these days, but whether that makes them more preferable... I have no idea. Do what is best for you. If your illness makes classroom situations difficult then the OU might be a good option, but if you need a lot of academic support then an Access course would be better.

I don't see any advantage to doing A levels though, not unless you hate coursework and love exams.

Would I go to a college to do an Access course, or could I do that through distance learning? I'm not sure if there's anywhere near me that offers an Access course. Would they still be recognised if they were done through distance learning?
Would I go to a college to do an Access course, or could I do that through distance learning? I'm not sure if there's anywhere near me that offers an Access course. Would they still be recognised if they were done through distance learning?

Mostly you need to go to a college, yes. There is one distance learning Access course (http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/career/humanities/english/) but you can't get funding for it, you'd have to pay for it yourself. I have no idea what universities think about this course, email them and ask!
Reply 10
Original post by Snufkin

How many OU credits did you have?
What uni did you end up going to and were you transferred straight to Year 2 or you had to start from Year 1?
Original post by scunill
How many OU credits did you have?
What uni did you end up going to and were you transferred straight to Year 2 or you had to start from Year 1?

I did 120 credits at level 1. I applied to (and received offers from) UCL, Edinburgh, Royal Holloway and Aberdeen for entry into year 1, although for personal reasons I didn't go in the end.
Reply 12
Original post by Snufkin
I did 120 credits at level 1. I applied to (and received offers from) UCL, Edinburgh, Royal Holloway and Aberdeen for entry into year 1, although for personal reasons I didn't go in the end.

Thanks for such a prompt reply!
Did you contact these unis before doing the OU course to make sure they would accept the credits?

I'm thinking of doing English Literature 120 credits at level 1, and planning long-term in case I would want to go to brick uni in the second year.
I see that UCL accepted the credits, which is one of the unis I would like to attend, so that is a good sign.

Looking back now, would you do the OU level 1 course or take online A-levels as a way of entering a brick uni?

Thanks for your time!!
Original post by scunill
Thanks for such a prompt reply!
Did you contact these unis before doing the OU course to make sure they would accept the credits?

I'm thinking of doing English Literature 120 credits at level 1, and planning long-term in case I would want to go to brick uni in the second year.
I see that UCL accepted the credits, which is one of the unis I would like to attend, so that is a good sign.

Looking back now, would you do the OU level 1 course or take online A-levels as a way of entering a brick uni?

Thanks for your time!!

Yes, I contacted them all first. Keep in mind that I was applying for a fairly niche language degree, English (especially at UCL) is very competitive, so level 1 credits may not be enough. Ask and see, then plan.

I wouldn't have self-studied three A levels, if I could go back I would do an Access to HE course - not least because universities are far more familiar with them than OU credits.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Are you a mature student? Are uni's more likely to accept OU credits from a mature student?
Original post by Snufkin
Which universities did you get offers from with your OU credits?
Update: I studied 120 level 1 credits full time with the OU, and am now studying BA (Hons) English Literature at UCP full time, no issues with student finance or me getting in! I was told I could go straight into the second year, but chose to start from the beginning :smile:
Hey,

Can you explain the process and conditions you had to meet and anything else that might be of help. I'm thinking of taking the same route. I think I wouldn't be able to do an Access Course as I work fulltime and can't really see a college near me... So I'd look at doing enough credits to get me into a bricks uni in the second year. How is it all going for you anyway?

thanks.
Update: I studied 120 level 1 credits full time with the OU, and am now studying BA (Hons) English Literature at UCP full time, no issues with student finance or me getting in! I was told I could go straight into the second year, but chose to start from the beginning :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest