Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many hours would you say is manageable to work while doing an Access course? I am lucky to have a flexible job when it comes to hours but I do have to fill out a form for preferred amount and I'm not too sure what's wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to do three or four nights a week dependent on financial strain at the time. So with breaks, 44, without, 48 for four nights.

I mean, we'll probably only be in college two days a week so I'm sure we'll survive x

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how many days you need to be in college and what you can personally cope with.

ReputationRep:
    I did 16 hours a week (nights)

ReputationRep:
    I worked full time and done my access course part time, I know of some people who done full time work and full time access but they had little to no down time.

ReputationRep:
    I worked two part time jobs and just about managed. It's hard but worth it

ReputationRep:
    It also depends what grades you need for your preferred uni course. There were people on my course who only needed to pass and were able to scrape by while working 35 hour weeks, but at the other end of the spectrum (those needing distinction/merit grade profiles) I would think 12-15 at the absolute max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissasattack)
    It also depends what grades you need for your preferred uni course. There were people on my course who only needed to pass and were able to scrape by while working 35 hour weeks, but at the other end of the spectrum (those needing distinction/merit grade profiles) I would think 12-15 at the absolute max.
    I agree. The people who managed to obtain 45 distinctions didn't work. Not saying a very high grade is not possible whilst working but it makes life very difficult.

The exams were probably the toughest part of the year to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Me and the two other people on my course that achieved all distinctions didn't work at all (because we were all lucky enough to have families in the position to support us and had savings).

There were some people that worked ~20 hours in retail or waitressing that got some distinctions, a good amount of merits, and some passes.

There were a couple of people that had to fully support themselves and had to work an awful lot because of the high cost of living in our area. It was difficult for them to get much more than passes, because they just didn't have the time we did.

For example, I could dedicate 10-15 hours to politics essays, including lots of independent research and background reading. But if you have to work to keep a roof over your head and feed yourself, it's just impossible. I think a lot of those that say Access is 'easy' fail to take into account the living situation of many mature students.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what grades you want, and what subjects you're doing. I was doing hard subjects and needed 45 distinctions, so I worked 8 hours a week, and sometimes not at all. Some people only needed passes...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.