Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this topic has been done before because there is a vault of them but can't be no harm done in extra advertising for a good cause. Just wondering if anyone gives it on here or if they would like to? you can put your details in on http://www.blood.co.uk (have to be at least 17) and they will send you details of where you can next give it in your area or you can look yourself on the website.

I'm too young.

ReputationRep:
    It has been done, but this sort of topic can never be over done!

DO IT!

Consider platelet donations too.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who fainted after giving blood, hit her head and had to go to hospital. How amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishseapower)
    Not sure if this topic has been done before because there is a vault of them but can't be no harm done in extra advertising for a good cause. Just wondering if anyone gives it on here or if they would like to? you can put your details in on http://www.blood.co.uk (have to be at least 17) and they will send you details of where you can next give it in your area or you can look yourself on the website.
    I have given blood before, it was quite good actually, although the dizziness afterwards was a bit disconcerting I must admit.

ReputationRep:
    did you have enough to eat and drink before you gave it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    It has been done, but this sort of topic can never be over done!

DO IT!

Consider platelet donations too.
    I'm considering going on the bone marrow register once I'm 18 but researching the procedure, it looks painful

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering going on the bone marrow register once I'm 18 but researching the procedure, it looks painful
    Registering isn't painful (nor is the sampling), it the actual donation that might be!

ReputationRep:
    you know if I did donate some, do you think it would affect my chances of going in to a public/uniformed service that has medicals as part of the entrance procedure?

ReputationRep:
    you know if I did donate some, do you think it would affect my chances of going in to a public/uniformed service that has medicals as part of the entrance procedure?
    Not as far as I know.

Maybe the Anthony Nolan web site might contain this sort of info?

ReputationRep:
    (It has been done before, but the more we do it, the more we can prick people's consciences .)

I haven't as yet, but I've only been old enough for two days . I found out the next time they're in my area is September so I'll be giving blood then .

ReputationRep:
    thats good, they need lots of new donors now, especially because many previous donors have had to stop donating due to the regulation stating people who have had a transfusion since 1980 or something, can't give it anymore and I bet thats alot of donors because I imagine many donate after recieving

ReputationRep:
    thats good, they need lots of new donors now, especially because many previous donors have had to stop donating due to the regulation stating people who have had a transfusion since 1980 or something, can't give it anymore and I bet thats alot of donors because I imagine many donate after recieving
    AS there were no recognised cases of nvCJD pre 1980, if you recieved blood before this time you can still donate. If you have had a transfusion post 1980 however, you can no longer donate. It took a huge chunk of donators out of the frame work

(I used to work for the NBS)

ReputationRep:
    I've given twice before and intend to do so again. I've always wanted to but I hate needles. However when the Welsh Blood Service was at uni my friends and I talked eachother into going and I was fine.

I think if you're eligible to give then you should go do so

ReputationRep:
    If you want blood, baby you've got it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    I've given twice before and intend to do so again. I've always wanted to but I hate needles. However when the Welsh Blood Service was at uni my friends and I talked eachother into going and I was fine.

I think if you're eligible to give then you should go do so
    same here I've only done it twice so far, I found that the anemic (spelling mistake?) test hurt more than giving blood itself

ReputationRep:
    Are pregnant women and those on their period allowed to give blood, as surely there is loads of hormones in the blood at those times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Are pregnant women and those on their period allowed to give blood, as surely there is loads of hormones in the blood at those times.
    No and not untill the baby is 9 months old (breast feeding hormone issues) - and nor are peeps with a low BMI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    No and not untill the baby is 9 months old (breast feeding hormone issues) - and nor are peeps with a low BMI.
    Are those with high BMI allowed to give extra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Are those with high BMI allowed to give extra?
    LOL!! No - nor do they get extra biscuits!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.