Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Giving Blood watch

Announcements

(Original post by Fluffy)
    nor do they get extra biscuits
    Nah, they just take it.

ReputationRep:
    Am I correct in thinking that you can usually just turn up to a blood giving session, without registering or making an appointment beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Am I correct in thinking that you can usually just turn up to a blood giving session, without registering or making an appointment beforehand?
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Yes you can, but it is better to phone ahead. It's not unheard of for people not to be able to donate due to a bigger than expected turn out. If the teams know roughly how many people to expect at a session then it means they can ensure that there are enough peeps on hand to take your red liquer!

however, you can just turn up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophetta)
    I've given blood twice now. It doesnt hurt really and they give you lots of biscuits at the end. Well worth it for the biscuits really.
    Are they McVities?

ReputationRep:
    Ouch.. my friend passed out after he gave blood... It was just too much for him to look at the bags. He said that it didn't really hurt, but he felt nauseous and giddy after it all.

Eeeps.. I can't give any blood coz' I've got hypoglycemia and they don't want my blood. Yayz!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)

Eeeps.. I can't give any blood coz' I've got hypoglycemia and they don't want my blood. Yayz!
    :eek: :confused:
    isn't that when your blood glucose level is too low?? i think thats right...i remember my grandad having it...he's diabetic...and he was having fits and his sweat was cold...??
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I can't give blood as I've had my belly button pierced recently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    Are they McVities?
    rich tea, digestives, rich shortcake, tuc, lots of crisps and old school watered down lemon and orange juice. tea/coffee for the veteran doners (>1 donation)

1 more donation and i get a blue card

ReputationRep:
    I want to but I have been to Africa in the last few years. In 2006 I can and will, but am planning to go back in the next 5 years...

ReputationRep:
    I feel special when I give give blood ... I feel worthwhile, if that makes sense ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Are pregnant women and those on their period allowed to give blood, as surely there is loads of hormones in the blood at those times.
    no reason why you can't give blood if you're on your period- i did. if it was forbidden they'd ask you on the form thingy and/or when you have the pinprick test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    no reason why you can't give blood if you're on your period- i did. if it was forbidden they'd ask you on the form thingy and/or when you have the pinprick test.
    It's worth mentioning though - as you can have a brief and non-significant episode of anaemia during your TOTM...

ReputationRep:
    I give blood, next one is on the 20th in my area. V glad I do it, they make you feel v special also found out my blood group by doing it and its nice to know I passed the screening and don't have anaemia etc! Most important part is that you're helping to save someones life.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give blood if you're asthmatic?

ReputationRep:
    You're not allowed to give blood if you've had a blood transfusion, can you???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    You're not allowed to give blood if you've had a blood transfusion, can you???
    Not if it was after 1980, no.

ReputationRep:
    How about if you've had injections and things when you've been abroad to places like Africa and India?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    How about if you've had injections and things when you've been abroad to places like Africa and India?
    There's a time bar - it used to be 12 months but am not 100% re: what it might be now.

ReputationRep:
    i've been wanting to give blood even before i was 17 but my parents aren't keen on the idea, as i used to be a little bit anaemic, although i don't think i am anymore. i'm blood group O so my blood can be given to absolutly anyone, making me want to do it even more! if they check for anaemia, and you are will they still let you give some if you're only a little bit anaemic? i know it won't help you in the long run as you'll feel tired, but i don't mind as it's only for a while and a good excuse to put your feet up!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.