Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Performed oral on a girl the other night who has text me yesterday that she has herpes and that she should have told me.. well it's too f****** late now - what should I do? I went hospital they told me to do to a clinic however there are no clinics near by that do walk ins and all clinics are closed by the time I finish work (I have no sick days or holiday days left) and I work as a trader so it's not like I can just ask for a day off.

Also she gave me a blowjob - does this now mean I have herpes down below?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have you ever had a cold sore? If you have, you already have at least one of the two strains of HSV. It's sufficiently common that clinics here don't bother to test for it, just treat any outbreaks. Without any symptoms, there's no point in going to the clinic unless you want to be tested for something else.

If she didn't have visible sores, it's unlikely that she's particularly infectious and if she has HSV sores on her genitals, then I don't think her mouth isn't going to be contagious.

There's no cure, but many people with HSV never get any symptoms and of those that do, the large majority find they get less serious and less frequent with time. Treatments help, but the drug companies that came up with them in the 1970s also came up with the 'OMG HERPES IS THE WORST THING EVER' campaign in order to sell them. Prior to that, genital herpes was simply seen as a cold sore and no-one much cared about them.

(Original post by unprinted)
    Have you ever had a cold sore? If you have, you already have at least one of the two strains of HSV. It's sufficiently common that clinics here don't bother to test for it, just treat any outbreaks. Without any symptoms, there's no point in going to the clinic unless you want to be tested for something else.

If she didn't have visible sores, it's unlikely that she's particularly infectious and if she has HSV sores on her genitals, then I don't think her mouth isn't going to be contagious.

There's no cure, but many people with HSV never get any symptoms and of those that do, the large majority find they get less serious and less frequent with time. Treatments help, but the drug companies that came up with them in the 1970s also came up with the 'OMG HERPES IS THE WORST THING EVER' campaign in order to sell them. Prior to that, genital herpes was simply seen as a cold sore and no-one much cared about them.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Is there a way to test for cold sore? or test for all of the strains of HSV? It was really dark so I couldn't see anything so unsure whether she had any visible sores. If she didn't have any sores does that mean there is a possibility that I have not caught a cold sore or any of the strains of HSV? Also she wanted to have sex and put my **** on her vagina but I took it out immediately as I didn't have a condom, it was only in there for a few seconds - hard to explain how it happened but she was on top of me giving me a hand job, had my eyes closed felt it go in then quickly took it out as I wasn't comfortable having sex without a condom.
    Lastly, considering I was fingering her and then touching my penis with the same hand could this pass the herpes to my penis? sorry in advance as to how disgusting and cringy these words and this comment is - just want to be fully aware of what may be the outcome
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    HSV I - virus that can cause cold sores, usually - but not always - around the mouth or nose. Extremely common, and often caught in childhood.

HSV II - virus that can cause cold sores, often on the genitals. Common.

As you will know if you've ever had one on your mouth, they're sensitive to touch / being stretched (they're often at the joint of your lips, and just opening your mouth can produce a noticeable reminder that you have one at the moment). Not having had any genital ones, I suspect that it would put most people with them off being sexual until they're healed.

Even if she was infectious, it's possible that you wouldn't get it yourself. If she was, then it's possible that you did, because 'penis / vulva' contact can do it.

As I say, UK clinics don't bother to test for the virus because of how common it is and the lack of any cure. When an outbreak occurs, treatment can reduce the length and severity of symptoms (there's always an unopened tube of cold sore cream in my bathroom cupboard...) but they tend to occur less frequently with time.

HSV I - virus that can cause cold sores, usually - but not always - around the mouth or nose. Extremely common, and often caught in childhood.

HSV II - virus that can cause cold sores, often on the genitals. Common.

As you will know if you've ever had one on your mouth, they're sensitive to touch / being stretched (they're often at the joint of your lips, and just opening your mouth can produce a noticeable reminder that you have one at the moment). Not having had any genital ones, I suspect that it would put most people with them off being sexual until they're healed.

Even if she was infectious, it's possible that you wouldn't get it yourself. If she was, then it's possible that you did, because 'penis / vulva' contact can do it.

As I say, UK clinics don't bother to test for the virus because of how common it is and the lack of any cure. When an outbreak occurs, treatment can reduce the length and severity of symptoms (there's always an unopened tube of cold sore cream in my bathroom cupboard...) but they tend to occur less frequently with time.
    Thank you for the help! If I don't get any symptoms does that mean I did not catch anything?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you don't get any symptoms, it's still possible (but not probable) that you did get it, but you're unlikely to be infectious.

If you don't get any symptoms, it's still possible (but not probable) that you did get it, but you're unlikely to be infectious.
    well sh**, I woke up today with small red bumps around my testicle sack and the base of my penis and along the pubic hair area. The inside of my mouth also has some white/yellow patches?? Do you have any idea what these could be?

ReputationRep:
    Go and see a GP. If you're not feeling ill hopefully it's just paranoia.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.