Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unknowingly bought a bad computer, now need help upgrading. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I bought a desktop a couple of years ago. It was a spontaneous thing and I hadn't done the usual research I usually do when buying technology (silly me). However, now that I want to start gaming on it, I've come across some issues. Now I'm not knowledgeable on the topic of computers so this is the main area I'd like some help. I essentially want to upgrade the parts that need upgrading to bring the PC up to scratch. I don't mind paying a company to do it for me as long as it's done properly. I'm not completely against doing it myself, I'm just a bit clueless on what goes where.

So, this is the PC I bought - http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktop...0/#tab-reviews

The specs are as follows -
    Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    2TB hard drive
    16GB of RAM
    64-bit OS
    Nvidia GeForce GT 640
    Motherboard is the Lenovo 3109 (I think)

So if anyone could help me:
    1) Identify which areas I should upgrade.
    2) How I could go about doing this.

If you need any other information about my computer to help judge it, just ask
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Cant get enugh details on the motherboard.
    You wouldnt need to pay a company. Its pretty straightforward as am sure the others that follow will tell you.

From where you are the bits that I might consider are.

1. The graphics card as this is the most expensive component along with the cpu. Decide how much you wnat to spend on that. Good medium quality graphics cards are c £200. You cna get 1 for £100 or 2nd hand. This will let you play at higher frame rates and higher resolutions. 640 is relatively slow, bit even in the medium bracket. You should notice a big difference.- Remove the 640 and replace it oin same slot. Connect the power connectors (assuming the psu can take it) and install the drivers.

2. Monitor so you cna play at the resilutions you want.

3. SSD hard state drive will speed up all disk intensive tasks- waiting for things to load etc. Easy just connects to a sata connector.

4. Soundcard- likely your MN has quite a basic one + speakers. Fits on one slot + install a driver.

Your cpu is fine as is the amount of memory and size of hdd.

Work out what your budget is and what you want. You should be fine with graphics card and ssd upgrade. Then its about your monitor imo.

Headset, mouse and keyboard as well.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Other sites
    Bit tech
    Hexus.net
    Kitguru
    Toms hardware
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Personally, I'd start with the graphics card and then concentrate on the monitor. Everything else should be fine, but your graphics card can definitely be upgraded. After that, I'd be looking at getting a decent monitor and accessories. If you have a lot of cash lying around, there's nothing wrong with going for a bit of speed by getting an SSD, although I'd only keep my OS on that. I wouldn't buy a huge one because they're hella expensive. A new motherboard might be a good investment but they're a bit more tricky to do yourself, so for that you'd want to talk to someone who really knows what they're doing. I'd also double and triple check that everything you is compatible because I've seen so many people buy something and then realise they can't actually add it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Cant get enugh details on the motherboard.
    You wouldnt need to pay a company. Its pretty straightforward as am sure the others that follow will tell you.

From where you are the bits that I might consider are.

1. The graphics card as this is the most expensive component along with the cpu. Decide how much you wnat to spend on that. Good medium quality graphics cards are c £200. You cna get 1 for £100 or 2nd hand. This will let you play at higher frame rates and higher resolutions. 640 is relatively slow, bit even in the medium bracket. You should notice a big difference.- Remove the 640 and replace it oin same slot. Connect the power connectors (assuming the psu can take it) and install the drivers.

2. Monitor so you cna play at the resilutions you want.

3. SSD hard state drive will speed up all disk intensive tasks- waiting for things to load etc. Easy just connects to a sata connector.

4. Soundcard- likely your MN has quite a basic one + speakers. Fits on one slot + install a driver.

Your cpu is fine as is the amount of memory and size of hdd.

Work out what your budget is and what you want. You should be fine with graphics card and ssd upgrade. Then its about your monitor imo.

Headset, mouse and keyboard as well.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Other sites
    Bit tech
    Hexus.net
    Kitguru
    Toms hardware
    Thanks for the response. The monitor I have is pretty good for what I want to do (for now at least). From what you said I think my priorities are the graphics card and perhaps an SSD. My case has an SSD port so I assume I just stick something like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P73B1..._oQaFxb0J3PGH1) in there and it'll do its thing?

With the graphics card, what would you recommend to play games such as Fallout 4 at a smooth frame rate where the graphics can be on medium settings at least. I ideally don't want to pay over 300 for all upgrades.

All other peripherals are also pretty decent for now, speakers, keyboard, mouse etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to look on the sites I gave you for what the current graphics cards are for that price.
    AMD has just brought out (last few weeks) the new RX480, which is c £200 card so look at the reviews for that.
    You cna get a GTX970 for a similar price, but they have been superceded by the 1070, which people are raving about. beyond your budget but look at a review.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,17.html

This gives you an idea what performance you get. Just google the reviews, thats part of the fun of upgrading.
    If you do get a 280, then as they are very new I would wait a few months till the manufacturers bring their own versions out with customised cooling and some overclocking etc.

Samsung Evo absolutely fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.