Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Gggfhjj

ReputationRep:
    you can pretty much be a teacher if you can pass gcse and a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    you can pretty much be a teacher if you can pass gcse and a levels
    Isn't it a bit strange though if you're teaching a subject you didn't get an A in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    Isn't it a bit strange though if you're teaching a subject you didn't get an A in?
    no? you just need to be able to teach, which you will learn in a teacher training course

its not like teachers, come up with what they want to teach and how, they just follow the the schools teaching style/structure while teaching the syllabus

not unless you want to be a university teacher or teach in a private school i guess

ReputationRep:
    Only qualification that matters is your degree.

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in physics but have a masters degree from a top 5 uni which is more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    Only qualification that matters is your degree.
    GCSE maths and English at a C or above is a requirement. Science too for primary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It might help to specify which subject you want to teach, where in the country you want to teach, what subsequent qualification you have or are looking to get and what level you wish to teach to.

You need C grade or above at GCSE Maths, English and Science, and a 2:2 in your degree. I can't remember what A level grades they asked for though, they weren't so interested in those.

You need to pass basic skills tests in Maths and English before you start training to be a teacher and they are around GCSE level so bear that in mind too.

You could always contact universities to ask them directly!

ReputationRep:
    13 years ago I got a D in A Level History due to some pretty horrendous personal circumstances (no resits then!) I'm just finishing my nqt year and it's never once been questioned. Also going to be Head of History and Head of Y12 next year.

So, no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.