The Student Room Group

Design your own school!

So I've been reading about free schools recently, and they're basically state schools created by parents and teachers. They get free reign over pretty much everything!

The question is - what would you design your school to be like? What would you make compulsory? What A-levels and GCSEs would you offer? What would the timetable be like?
Original post by jamestg
So I've been reading about free schools recently, and they're basically state schools created by parents and teachers. They get free reign over pretty much everything!

The question is - what would you design your school to be like? What would you make compulsory? What A-levels and GCSEs would you offer? What would the timetable be like?

GCSEs
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Physics
- English Language
- English Literature
- Spanish (No other language: German and French are useless. Mandarin and Arabic are too difficult.)
- History
- Geography
(All compulsory)

A levels
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Economics
(No arts subjects because they're useless and lead to useless degrees, and I'm speaking as someone who did two arts A levels)
Reply 2
[video="youtube;oWr_T39CA98"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWr_T39CA98[/video]

(It's a metaphor.)
For GCSE I would make Maths, English Language, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry and Physics compulsory, and I'd encourage a language (e.g. French, German or Spanish) to be taken as well. Optional GCSE subjects would include PE, Music, Art, Textiles, History, Geography, Religious Studies and ICT. General PE lessons would also be optional, so students who would rather do homework or revision could do that instead (in a supervised classroom with a register though to avoid skiving). I would've loved that to have been the case when I was at school!

Quick Reply