Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, I have iTunes and have downloaded a few song which I would like to put on to my philips HDD (like an iPod but a bit crappyer!!) My HDD plays wma and mp3 files, but i'm pretty sure the iTunes files are not either of these formats as when I try to get my HDD to search for new music it doesn't find any. So... how do I get the music from iTunes which says something about MPEG4(??) into a format which my HDD will be able to play??
    If you can help, please bear in mind your talking to a computer idiot!!

Thanks
    Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Just a question: where did you download these songs? iTunes uses .aiff files in addition to mp3s...
    Off the itunes music store... but i'm not using Itunes to transfer them to my portable audio thingy, I have to use the program that came with the philips device.
    What format do the songs bought of iTunes come in??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Off the itunes music store... but i'm not using Itunes to transfer them to my portable audio thingy, I have to use the program that came with the philips device.
    What format do the songs bought of iTunes come in??
    go into the iTunes music folder to see what format they are: probably be in C:/Program Files/iTunes/iTunes Music...
    That way you'll find out.

If they're in apple's proprietary format, I'm not too sure how you'd convert them. You could open the file in an audio-editting program like goldwave or cooledit and then save them back into mp3.

Or maybe search for a aiff>mp3 converter. Not sure if they exist...

ReputationRep:
    I think iTunes and all the upcoming legal music distribution programs are very picky about being able to write your music to other media. I read somewhere that it's even illegal to copy the songs you have downloaded (legally and paid for) to CDs or MP3 players because they see it as illegal distribution or something.

ReputationRep:
    Burn to an audio CD then convert to MP3.

Or check out http://hymn-project.org/. I haven't tried the program offered there, but it claims to do what you want.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 12, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.