Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did any of you guys ever feel like this when it came to your first relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and about to head off to University after a GAP year. I've been suffering from mild anxiety and depression over the least few years of my life and it's really holding me back on the relationships front.

I get told I'm attractive and I often catch girls staring at me. When I was still at Sixth Form a lot of girls apparently had crushes on me?? (Excuse the arrogance, but I thought you could do with some information to help with your answer).

The thing is I don't feel like I will be good enough for a relationship and that I will mess it up after a week.. I've never even kissed a girl, mainly due to my anxieties.

Did you guys ever think the same before you had your first relationship?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people worry about that. Be it 1st relationship or the 10th.

Personally I find it best to just start as friends. One, it usually makes the relationship last longer. And two, you already feel comfortable around each other so there's no worrying about how you act. Of course, it's a bit harder moving to the 'in relationship' part from being friends than it is going into it as already dating.

ReputationRep:
    how can you say you are not good for a relationship, you haven't even tried it
    give it a go, i know you have some anxiety issues but you need to tackle them

ReputationRep:
    I did, but it just kinda works out. I never thought I'd be one for relationships but it just happened - you just naturally show affection in a way that you never thought was a part of you before. Well, I did. When you meet someone you click with, nervousness won't hold you back :cute:

Didn't end well but ah well, the principle stands :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    how can you say you are not good for a relationship, you haven't even tried it
    give it a go, i know you have some anxiety issues but you need to tackle them
    I want to! First I need to find a girl, something I can't even find at the moment. That's most likely due to my lack of social life at the moment. I'm quite outgoing but all my friends are away meaning I never go to places surrounded with girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I did, but it just kinda works out. I never thought I'd be one for relationships but it just happened - you just naturally show affection in a way that you never thought was a part of you before. Well, I did. When you meet someone you click with, nervousness won't hold you back :cute:

Didn't end well but ah well, the principle stands :3
    Thanks that's a great answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hep Guardiola)
    Thanks that's a great answer!
    I think my experience was definitely something I (and others) can learn from heheh

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and about to head off to University after a GAP year. I've been suffering from mild anxiety and depression over the least few years of my life and it's really holding me back on the relationships front.

I get told I'm attractive and I often catch girls staring at me. When I was still at Sixth Form a lot of girls apparently had crushes on me?? (Excuse the arrogance, but I thought you could do with some information to help with your answer).

The thing is I don't feel like I will be good enough for a relationship and that I will mess it up after a week.. I've never even kissed a girl, mainly due to my anxieties.

I used to worry about kissing, so many do. It came naturally, cliche but it was true. Just get to the stage of getting into a relationship, then cross that bridge. Worry not bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    I used to worry about kissing, so many do. It came naturally, cliche but it was true. Just get to the stage of getting into a relationship, then cross that bridge. Worry not bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I worry about my first kiss too as I've never had it but I'm too embarrassed to tell my friends especially when a lot of the girls at my sixth form apparently had crushes on me.. It's so embarrassing aargh

ReputationRep:
    Mate...

I went from having absolutely 0 experience with girls to having a relationship for three and a half years. It ain't difficult, especially if you find yourself with someone worthwhile.

Relax. These things take time, and sometimes they just happen. When it does, it's a walk in the park and nothing to fret over.

ReputationRep:

Hey,

I went out with somebody once who told me that she was insecure, so sometimes felt bad and inadequate. I think it's important to speak to your potential partner early on, and make them aware that you feel this way and it may take a while for you to get comfortable with them, and they should help to reassure you when you feel like you're not good enough rather than maybe suffering in silence.

If the person isn't able to be supportive in the ways above and more, maybe they're not the sort of person you want to be with as a whole - let alone to date them, given your predicament

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.