Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently managed to figure out and cone out to all of my friends as Pansexual, I've even been able to tell my step dad, but as soon as mentioned it to my mum, she glared at me and told me to wait until I was older to decide, but the thing is, about a week before she had fold me that she wouldn't care if I wasn't straight, because I was still her daughter. Then, she was talking about me having a boyfriend or husband in the future, and I said "or a girlfriend. I mean, you never know what might happen." And I've never seen a look nastier than the one she gave me. She spoke to me in this horrible tone, and acted as if I'd told her to **** herself. It made me feel so upset, and I've never wanted more to disappear. I don't understand why she would tell me that she would be fine with it, and then act as if I said that I was going to rob a bank. I just want answers. I want to find out why she would tell me something like that if she didn't believe it. Not only that, but when I told her that I was talking to a friend at school, she instantly assumed that this friend was going to make me some sort of criminal just because of their surname, and I'm not going to reveal names on here, but she refused to let me see or speak to him in any way, and it made me so angry. I know she thinks she's protecting me, but she can't protect me from something that I don't need to be protected from. She told me that my friends were my friends, and she wouldn't mind who they were, yet this boy, she went psycho on just because he shared a nickname with someone in a gang. And it was a pretty common surname. Now I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaraMartinIsMe)
    I recently managed to figure out and cone out to all of my friends as Pansexual, I've even been able to tell my step dad, but as soon as mentioned it to my mum, she glared at me and told me to wait until I was older to decide, but the thing is, about a week before she had fold me that she wouldn't care if I wasn't straight, because I was still her daughter. Then, she was talking about me having a boyfriend or husband in the future, and I said "or a girlfriend. I mean, you never know what might happen." And I've never seen a look nastier than the one she gave me. She spoke to me in this horrible tone, and acted as if I'd told her to **** herself. It made me feel so upset, and I've never wanted more to disappear. I don't understand why she would tell me that she would be fine with it, and then act as if I said that I was going to rob a bank. I just want answers. I want to find out why she would tell me something like that if she didn't believe it. Not only that, but when I told her that I was talking to a friend at school, she instantly assumed that this friend was going to make me some sort of criminal just because of their surname, and I'm not going to reveal names on here, but she refused to let me see or speak to him in any way, and it made me so angry. I know she thinks she's protecting me, but she can't protect me from something that I don't need to be protected from. She told me that my friends were my friends, and she wouldn't mind who they were, yet this boy, she went psycho on just because he shared a nickname with someone in a gang. And it was a pretty common surname. Now I just don't know what to do.

Just keep on living your life as you currently do. She's from a generation whereby different sexual orientations were not as well understood - that doesn't mean it should affect you. The way she is acting is unjust but there's little you can really say.

You're pan - your future partner might be male, in which case your mum will be happy. Your future partner might be female, or intersex, or anywhere on the sex/gender spectrum - in which case your mother will have to come to terms with it.

When it comes to your 'gang' friend, talk to her about it. It's unfair on the guy in question and if she still chooses to be difficult about it, it won't affect your relationship long term.

ReputationRep:
    All these daily ****ing new llabels are BS. You **** guys, girls. Guys & girls.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirondelle127)
    Just keep on living your life as you currently do. She's from a generation whereby different sexual orientations were not as well understood - that doesn't mean it should affect you. The way she is acting is unjust but there's little you can really say.

You're pan - your future partner might be male, in which case your mum will be happy. Your future partner might be female, or intersex, or anywhere on the sex/gender spectrum - in which case your mother will have to come to terms with it.

When it comes to your 'gang' friend, talk to her about it. It's unfair on the guy in question and if she still chooses to be difficult about it, it won't affect your relationship long term.
    Yeah, that's what I was hoping, I just didn't know what to do at the time because I just wanted nothing more than for her to like talk to me about it. I've told her now and I think, 'think' she's accepted me, but I'm not sure.

I did speak to her about my friend but she told me to proceed he wasn't related to the gang member, and I got angry and told her that how was I supposed to prove it if I couldn't talk to him, so that didn't go too well... Oh well.

I guess some thing just have to say the same, besides, not long now and she basically can't control me, so I'll be able to talk to who I want lol.

Thanks, X.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirondelle127)

Yeah, that's what I was hoping, I just didn't know what to do at the time because I just wanted nothing more than for her to like talk to me about it. I've told her now and I think, 'think' she's accepted me, but I'm not sure.

I did speak to her about my friend but she told me to prove he wasn't related to the gang member, and I got angry and told her that how was I supposed to prove it if I couldn't talk to him, so that didn't go too well... Oh well.

I guess some thing just have to say the same, besides, not long now and she basically can't control me, so I'll be able to talk to who I want lol.

Thanks, X.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.