Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

hi , i've been looking around on this particular forum and I was wondering whats up with me for a while. recently I've been looking into the symptoms of depression and it meets most of the criteria which i seem to be going through (don't wanna turn into a hypochondriac. I'm going to the GP soon soon so don't worry about that since its already booked.
    I'll try and list this in bullet points so its easier to understand, but i'll give a bit of background first - I'm 17, a girl, and an only child, quite shy and been a loner most of the time throughout primary/secondary school, no friends IN school apart from 1 friend who i'm still friends with now, everyone else pretty much ignored. primary school was the WORST. i pretty much had bad thoughts before going to bed every night, i regret not switching schools - nobody ever spoke to me - i was socially rejected and excluded for ALL 7 YEARS OF PRIMARY SCHOOL. no friends there ever. i try to forget but all the negative memories haunt me.

then came secondary - culture shock since people talked to me - but later on in the year it started as `banter` but sort of turned into verbal abuse - at the time there was this other person who wasn't very nice at all since they were bullying me and my friend - but we reported that and that was dealed with thankfully. secondary school was the best from years 8 -- 10. no worries apart from some boys following me on the way home and shouting mean things. so i stopped getting the bus.

got okayish gcse results for me anyway TSR may disagree - 3b's, 3c's, rest d's nothing lower, couldn't do a couple of a level choices due to low grades, dad had to fight for my position in 6th form - i wanted to go there nowhere else applied for. ``so called friends`` gave me the hard shoulder and stopped talking to me - i hadn't done anything to them - and they were in the top set and turned into gcse nerds and wouldn't speak to me at all and i can tell when i am not wanted. so i found a couple of people but they were an item so i was a third wheel everywhere.

fast forward to now - just dropped out of 6th form - i hated it, done AS exams, starting another college in september to do a btec but now feel all these symptoms which are happening all the time...

not relevant but may be
    • struggle with reading aloud and talking due to shyness nervousness
    • felt like i was going to pass out after reading 3 sentences in class
    • avoid reading out loud
    • i don't know how to make friends with people because of all the exclusion and rejection i got
    • don't like most sports since i was last in everything in primary+sec which probably caused a negative self fulfilling prophecy
    • was going to be statemented in primary school for something but don't know for what since they didn't want to label me
    • struggled with maths A LOT during school possible dyscalculia too
    • certain memories from primary school including social exclusion, + peer bullying haunt me as the class teacher started it all.
    relevant
    • feeling sad/unhappy all the time
    • lonely
    • isolated
    • lack of energy
    • pains everywhere
    • headaches
    • brain foggy - like i can't think/concentrate straight
    • tired all the time
    • on my bed all the time mostly on my phone or sleeping for 3 -4 hours
    • i remember ALL my bad memories which happened in primary/secondary/6th form and they all happen in flashbacks and i can't forget them
    • changes in menstruation - stopped nothing for months not pregnant, social anxiety - can't talk to anyone don't know how - is there a manual? let alone boys never touched one yuck.
    • gained weight a lot - don't know how much i weigh but if it helps i used to dance and swim, and was size 12 now size 16-18 in clothes size
    • i want to lose weight but no motivation
    • can't be asked to go out since feel very nervous/anxious
    • lack of energy when walking anywhere
    I'm sick of it i don't know how to be happy, I've been sad since secondary school ended since no people i knew went to my schools 6th form, doctor who has finished as well for this year and that was keeping me happy, harry potter was and now thats nearly over, i don't know what being happy is meant to feel like, i know your not meant to all the time but most the time surely?

please help is that called depression? i don't know, can ptsd be caused by childhood bullying? thanks

oh and sorry for the long post

p.s.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    pointlessblogvlogs makes me happy and sort of destresses me- watching youtube motivates me and it helps a lot

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Some people are introverts.

You're and introvert, be proud.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Scott.)
    Nope.

Some people are introverts.

You're and introvert, be proud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think such a "clear-cut" answer is appropriate.

Plenty of those symptoms can't just be dismissed as being "normal for introverts".

ReputationRep:
    Right I think you may have depression but defo go see your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
    You appear to be feeling down all the time and just haventbgotvanynmotivation in life, but I can assure you things will get better!!
    My life has been pretty much the same as yours but I'm now starting to feel happy again.
    But I'm afraid to say I think you may have some form of depression.
    Apologies for the short response but my OCD is playing up and I'm struggling to type currently.

I'm always open if you want someone to talk to!
    I will give you support, be there for you, help you through tough times.
    But obviously it's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    yeah youre definitely depressed, feel free to pm me if you need any help or whatever

ReputationRep:
    I would say depression. I hope you get the help you need!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that. You definitely didn't have it easy at school. I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm fairly certain that you are depressed on some level. If you are diagnosed as such, my advice would be to try therapy and other activities as opposed to medication though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This sounds a lot like depression. I would advise doing small things everyday to get yourself motivated or feeling better. make your bed, or walk for 10min, take some photos of things you find pretty, maybe start a tumblr blog. Also check your everyday thoughts. try writing them down. are they all negative? if so, you need to try and change that. So for example if youre thinking, 'God im such a boring person' change that thought and think about the reasons youre not boring, perhaps you have an interest or read a lot. Try and appreciate beauty in nature, that often helps me. Being inside is not going to improve your situation, its going to make it worse. Take yourself out for coffee, go to a library or second hand book store. Go wander around an art gallery, anything!
    Much love, you'll get through this. if you are diagnosed i reccomend sertraline as a medication. im on that now after being put on prozac previously. prozac didnt work for me.

This could be anxiety, possibly social anxiety rather than depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hi , i've been looking around on this particular forum and I was wondering whats up with me for a while. recently I've been looking into the symptoms of depression and it meets most of the criteria which i seem to be going through (don't wanna turn into a hypochondriac. I'm going to the GP soon soon so don't worry about that since its already booked.
    I'll try and list this in bullet points so its easier to understand, but i'll give a bit of background first - I'm 17, a girl, and an only child, quite shy and been a loner most of the time throughout primary/secondary school, no friends IN school apart from 1 friend who i'm still friends with now, everyone else pretty much ignored. primary school was the WORST. i pretty much had bad thoughts before going to bed every night, i regret not switching schools - nobody ever spoke to me - i was socially rejected and excluded for ALL 7 YEARS OF PRIMARY SCHOOL. no friends there ever. i try to forget but all the negative memories haunt me.

then came secondary - culture shock since people talked to me - but later on in the year it started as `banter` but sort of turned into verbal abuse - at the time there was this other person who wasn't very nice at all since they were bullying me and my friend - but we reported that and that was dealed with thankfully. secondary school was the best from years 8 -- 10. no worries apart from some boys following me on the way home and shouting mean things. so i stopped getting the bus.

got okayish gcse results for me anyway TSR may disagree - 3b's, 3c's, rest d's nothing lower, couldn't do a couple of a level choices due to low grades, dad had to fight for my position in 6th form - i wanted to go there nowhere else applied for. ``so called friends`` gave me the hard shoulder and stopped talking to me - i hadn't done anything to them - and they were in the top set and turned into gcse nerds and wouldn't speak to me at all and i can tell when i am not wanted. so i found a couple of people but they were an item so i was a third wheel everywhere.

fast forward to now - just dropped out of 6th form - i hated it, done AS exams, starting another college in september to do a btec but now feel all these symptoms which are happening all the time...

not relevant but may be
    • struggle with reading aloud and talking due to shyness nervousness
    • felt like i was going to pass out after reading 3 sentences in class
    • avoid reading out loud
    • i don't know how to make friends with people because of all the exclusion and rejection i got
    • don't like most sports since i was last in everything in primary+sec which probably caused a negative self fulfilling prophecy
    • was going to be statemented in primary school for something but don't know for what since they didn't want to label me
    • struggled with maths A LOT during school possible dyscalculia too
    • certain memories from primary school including social exclusion, + peer bullying haunt me as the class teacher started it all.
    relevant
    • feeling sad/unhappy all the time
    • lonely
    • isolated
    • lack of energy
    • pains everywhere
    • headaches
    • brain foggy - like i can't think/concentrate straight
    • tired all the time
    • on my bed all the time mostly on my phone or sleeping for 3 -4 hours
    • i remember ALL my bad memories which happened in primary/secondary/6th form and they all happen in flashbacks and i can't forget them
    • changes in menstruation - stopped nothing for months not pregnant, social anxiety - can't talk to anyone don't know how - is there a manual? let alone boys never touched one yuck.
    • gained weight a lot - don't know how much i weigh but if it helps i used to dance and swim, and was size 12 now size 16-18 in clothes size
    • i want to lose weight but no motivation
    • can't be asked to go out since feel very nervous/anxious
    • lack of energy when walking anywhere
    I'm sick of it i don't know how to be happy, I've been sad since secondary school ended since no people i knew went to my schools 6th form, doctor who has finished as well for this year and that was keeping me happy, harry potter was and now thats nearly over, i don't know what being happy is meant to feel like, i know your not meant to all the time but most the time surely?

please help is that called depression? i don't know, can ptsd be caused by childhood bullying? thanks

oh and sorry for the long post

p.s.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    pointlessblogvlogs makes me happy and sort of destresses me- watching youtube motivates me and it helps a lot
    Hi, it seems like you may have depression and social anxiety. But trust me, it will get better! As you are starting a btec in a different college, think of it as a fresh start, and opportunity to make things better

Making new friends can be really hard, and social anxiety can be really tough, but we can battle through it.I know how easy it is to say this, and so much harder to actually do, but when meeting new people, I try thinking about the potential how it can turn out great, and how I will never know if i don't try, and if it doesn't work out, at least I know I tried my best, and I will continue to do so. I use this to try and summon courage to try and talk to new people.

And also when meeting new people, try and find things in common, e.g. maybe subjects, fandoms (I am bit of a fangirl xD) and asking questions.

And also remember that if you get negative thoughts when meeting a new person, remember that you are truly awesome, flaws, quirks and all, and even though you may be nervous or struggling, you are trying your best. And that most people aren't that judgmental, and will probably not notice the things you may be feeling very conscious or embarrassed about, and if they are judgemental, they are not very nice people anyway.

When approaching new people, smile and introduce yourself, and maybe ask a question to get the conversation flowing, e.g. so whats this teacher like? How is the course going? etc. And also try joining some clubs and societies.

Also if you want to lose weight, try finding a form of exercise that you find fun, personally I like trying to learn dance routines from dance tutorials on youtube.

When those negative memories come, let them come and flow away and remember that they are in the past , and screw all those mean beeps, and try and look towards the future and present If you want to talk, feel free to pm me
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also Harry is bae! And I love pointless blog too! Epecially guess the youtuber xD I also love Dan and Phil games, I find it strangely relaxing but stressful at the same time but in a good way ;D What other youtubers, fandoms do you like?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Anxiety and Depression. Remember there's always light at the end of the tunnel

hey guys! thank you for your kind posts it made me feel happier

i saw my gp and went for a blood test and currently waiting for my results which I'll find out soon they suggested i could be stressed since my year in year 12 was AWFUL, but I'm really really really excited for september coming...

also been feeling better since i had a long long long talk about what was troubling me (humiliiation infront of the class by a teacher - i didn't talk at all let alone how to stand up for myself...) as a just started crying suddenly in the garden one day about a couple of weeks after i'd posted my thread and after it felt like a huge weight had been lifted after I'd talked to my mum we were feeding the birds and it came over me so i'm way way way way happier now, my 2 friends have made up too so we meet occasionally.

I'm been feeling much better - and rarely going back to bed, and I've started a notebook which i fill up with happy, inspirational, and motivational quotes which I'm currently designing, going to go back to journaling and writing as well, also volunteering fills up my time alot too...

also been trying to eat healthier now to which is getting into control and Just Dance 3/4 is BRILLIANT for staying active (highly recommend for anyone else btw)

i'll let you guys know what the result is when i've got them back i'm trying not to fret, though my mum possibly thinks its thyroid... so i'm trying not to become a hypochondriac in the meantime!

thank you xxx

ReputationRep:
    No one here can possibly answer such a question..
    However... as a rule of thumb if you feel bumbed all the time, dont enjoy things you used to, eat a lot/hardly ever, isolate yourself and so on those are good indicators of it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.