The Student Room Group

Museum Work Experience - expenses?

Hi there,

I am looking to get experience in working in museums and have managed to secure an interview for a position for a museum in London.The advert didn't state whether or not expenses would be paid the voluntary position, and if they're not, I can't really afford it. Having looked at other volunteer adverts, some say expenses are provided but others don't. Is it generally the case that if the advert doesn't explicitly state that expenses are provided then they are not, or is it possible that they are and this is just not mentioned in the advert?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, the title should read 'Museum volunteering', not 'work experience'
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by golden_bough
Hi there,

I am looking to get experience in working in museums and have managed to secure an interview for a position for a museum in London.The advert didn't state whether or not expenses would be paid the voluntary position, and if they're not, I can't really afford it. Having looked at other volunteer adverts, some say expenses are provided but others don't. Is it generally the case that if the advert doesn't explicitly state that expenses are provided then they are not, or is it possible that they are and this is just not mentioned in the advert?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, the title should read 'Museum volunteering', not 'work experience'

Sometimes it is stated on the application, sometimes not. Usually in the interview you would be asked where you are communing from and then they would offer to pay your expenses. Some businesses, especially things like museums and charities are not in a position to offer expenses. It's perfectly acceptable to ask, just explain that you would love to take the position but have looked into the logistics of getting there and don't think you'll be able to afford it. It's better to ask sooner rather than later so that you don't waste any of their time or yours if they aren't able to pay expenses.*
You will just have to ask them.
It depends on the museum.

Most of them offer reasonable travel expenses and lunch. There may be a limit to this.
Just google the museum as a lot of them state on their website or e-mail them.
Original post by 999tigger
You will just have to ask them.
It depends on the museum.

Most of them offer reasonable travel expenses and lunch. There may be a limit to this.
Just google the museum as a lot of them state on their website or e-mail them.

Thank you! I emailed them two days ago to ask and haven't received a reply...I'm thinking that's not a great sign!
Original post by golden_bough
Thank you! I emailed them two days ago to ask and haven't received a reply...I'm thinking that's not a great sign!

Just ring them. Most museums do, but they arent going tp pay plane fares etc.

Quick Reply

Latest