The Student Room Group

I'm a terrible driver

Hi everyone,

So far, i've had 18 driving lessons. I started driving in January. I just can't get the hang of it. In lessons, i have been taught how to start and stop, turns, t junctions, mini roundabouts, gyratory roundabouts, roundabouts in general, bypasses, traffic lights. Maybe a few other things, but that's all I can remember so far.

I just can't seem to master the basics though. I dread every lesson because i know i'm going to make a million mistakes. I stall, forget mirrors, forget signalling, forget when to put the break or clutch down. It's aways different things though, for example last lesson i didn't stall, but i did forget mirrors and signal when pulling over, whereas the lesson before i did the opposite!

My timing is absolutely terrible, I always do the pedals too early or too late or don't go to the right gear etc. Even my driving instructor last lesson said i was learning incredibly slowly and should be much farther by now. I have pressure from my parents as well as they are paying for the lessons and are noticing i don't seem to be doing that well.

I don't know what to do because I want to give up but i don't think my parents would understand. I want to be able to drive, but i'm just so rubbish at it, every time a lesson finishes i feel like crying. It's one step forward, two steps back. I do fine when my instructor tells me what to do, but when he makes me do it independently, i just forget how to do everything. My instructor is really nice and has never gotten mad at me or anything, i'm just a useless driver.

Does anyone have any advice/has been in the same position before? Or any websites that are helpful? I just can't see myself ever being able to drive at this rate.
First off, you're not a rubbish driver!
Everyone makes mistakes!
It's a natural thing!
You'll pick it up soon enough. Maybe just do a little more practice with your instructor first so you can note what to do and when, and then apply that when you drive without instructions.
Driving is not easy to master and it will take time, everyone learns at different rates!
But everything you mentioned, I did all of that at the same point, I ended passing first time.
There will be one lesson where you just click and it will feel more natural to you.
I hope this helps somewhat!!
Try mentally rehearsing what you do for each manoeuvre (moving off, coming up to a corner, stopping etc.). If you have a GoPro or similar it might be worth taking that and videoing a lesson so you can use that to jog your memory.

It works for learning to fly!
Reply 3
I think you should save yourself some money and buy a bicycle, but whatever you do, don't hog the road when riding it. There's nothing more annoying.
Try writing things down. Like when approaching a junction: Mirrors, Signal, Slow down, Stop, Look and move
A good thing to do with driving, To early is better than too late, excluding pulling out of junctions of course
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

So far, i've had 18 driving lessons. I started driving in January. I just can't get the hang of it. In lessons, i have been taught how to start and stop, turns, t junctions, mini roundabouts, gyratory roundabouts, roundabouts in general, bypasses, traffic lights. Maybe a few other things, but that's all I can remember so far.

I just can't seem to master the basics though. I dread every lesson because i know i'm going to make a million mistakes. I stall, forget mirrors, forget signalling, forget when to put the break or clutch down. It's aways different things though, for example last lesson i didn't stall, but i did forget mirrors and signal when pulling over, whereas the lesson before i did the opposite!

My timing is absolutely terrible, I always do the pedals too early or too late or don't go to the right gear etc. Even my driving instructor last lesson said i was learning incredibly slowly and should be much farther by now. I have pressure from my parents as well as they are paying for the lessons and are noticing i don't seem to be doing that well.

I don't know what to do because I want to give up but i don't think my parents would understand. I want to be able to drive, but i'm just so rubbish at it, every time a lesson finishes i feel like crying. It's one step forward, two steps back. I do fine when my instructor tells me what to do, but when he makes me do it independently, i just forget how to do everything. My instructor is really nice and has never gotten mad at me or anything, i'm just a useless driver.

Does anyone have any advice/has been in the same position before? Or any websites that are helpful? I just can't see myself ever being able to drive at this rate.

Not to sound stereotypical, but are you male or female?
That's totally normal, that's why everyone needs lessons - it'll become second nature after a while honestly :smile:
If they said that then you have a crap instructor.

Dont worry, you're overthinking it. Just go out there and do, it'll fall into place at some point
Reply 8
I'm a terrible driver 😂 and I've passed don't worry you'll get there. My first test I failed with 8 minors, 2 dangerous and 1 serious. My second test I passed with 6 minors! I passed my theory first time but only just 43 and you need 43. Since I've passed I'm anxious all the time. I did change to an automatic and that's helping a lot. I wish I'd done automatic only because all my nerves come from manual cars. Hope this helps I also had 96 lessons so you've got a lot of time yet to pass. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by love1990
I'm a terrible driver 😂 and I've passed don't worry you'll get there. My first test I failed with 8 minors, 2 dangerous and 1 serious. My second test I passed with 6 minors! I passed my theory first time but only just 43 and you need 43. Since I've passed I'm anxious all the time. I did change to an automatic and that's helping a lot. I wish I'd done automatic only because all my nerves come from manual cars. Hope this helps I also had 96 lessons so you've got a lot of time yet to pass. Good luck. :smile:

In the four years since this thread was created I would hope the OP has passed a long time ago....
Original post by love1990

Oh my goodness, this was my post from 4 years ago!! I ended up taking a break from lessons and started with a new instructor a year or 2 later. I struggled and had lots of tears again (my new instructor wasn’t the most patient...he also had my sister in tears and neither of us are particularly sensitive...but he knew exactly how to pass the test so i gritted my teeth and continued). I also switched to automatic and bought my own car to practice in. This helped a lot and by some some miracle i passed first time with 2 minors in feb 2019 and have been driving ever since!! Im still a bit nervous driving to new places but love the independence driving brings! Even though i already passed, i would have found your reply really helpful back when i posted, so thank you!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending