Turn on thread page Beta

Human Rights watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading the entirety of a few threads dealing with these issues and it is surprising that very few people seem to know what Human Rights really are. I'm looking to the old hands to post on this one for the benefit of all. Jonaton started by getting his thread and link put up as a sticky, but please... let us hear what Human Rights really are.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you get the ball rolling?

Here are a few: -

http://www.echr.coe.int/Convention/webConvenENG.pdf

ReputationRep:
    There is no evidence to suggest that they absolutely exist. I don't believe in human rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    There is no evidence to suggest that they absolutely exist. I don't believe in human rights.
    You don't believe that someone has the right to a life then? You don't believe that someone has the right to food, clothing, basic living essentials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    You don't believe that someone has the right to a life then? You don't believe that someone has the right to food, clothing, basic living essentials?
    I think he/she was suggesting that people dont currently benefit from the protections laid out in the human rights charter, not that he he/she doesnt believe that the protections themselves are valid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    Good lad, atleast 1 other person realises just how pathetic they are, just another buzz word created by the liberals.

(Original post by Sire)
    I've been reading the entirety of a few threads dealing with these issues and it is surprising that very few people seem to know what Human Rights really are. I'm looking to the old hands to post on this one for the benefit of all. Jonaton started by getting his thread and link put up as a sticky, but please... let us hear what Human Rights really are.
    Human Rights - also known as natural rights - is the dogma that humans, by virtue of having the capacity for reason, are endowned naturally with inalienable rights to resources etc.

The idea, of course, is *******s. Nature does not give rights - rights are a human-legal construct, not a natural one.

ReputationRep:
    YES more like minded folk, everything liberals try to pass off as 'wrong' racisism etc are all human concepts, even right and wrong are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    YES more like minded folk, everything liberals try to pass off as 'wrong' racisism etc are all human concepts, even right and wrong are
    Yup - seems a bit pointless to argue over what is right and wrong. It is all relative truth, relative to a system of rules defined by humans.

There is no evidence to suggest that the universe (or God(s)) uses that same system of rules, to make it absolute truth. I'm not going to believe in it without evidence, because I don't make faith beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubermensch)
    Nature does not give rights - rights are a human-legal construct, not a natural one.
    As is society

(Original post by Weejimmie)
    As is society
    Actually, a certain level of co-operation is natural - from atoms to animals. After all, everything is connected - nothing exists independently.

But, of course, that doesn't mean a huge state is natural - far from it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, a certain level of co-operation is natural - from atoms to animals.
    Is "co-operation the right word for unteraction between atoms?
    After all, everything is connected - nothing exists independently.

But, of course, that doesn't mean a huge state is natural - far from it.
    What does the size of a state have to do with human rights?

(Original post by Weejimmie)
    Is "co-operation the right word for unteraction between atoms? What does the size of a state have to do with human rights?
    I merely pointed out that whereas co-operation - i.e. quasi-society - is a phenomenon found in the natural world, the state is not.

It was you who disgressed from the subject of the thread by mentioning society, not I.

ReputationRep:
    It was you who disgressed from the subject of the thread by mentioning society, not I.
    Not a digression, i think. Rights cannot exist except within a society. Societies may not be natural, but the tendency for humans to form and live in societies is natural I think.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.