The Student Room Group

Tor, Anonymity and being a total tech scrub

Hi All!

Despite growing up with computers basically all my life, I realised that I know literally bugger all about how they actually work.

I have a gap year so instead of indulging in the steam summer sale I thought I'd try to learn a programming language (at least the basics) and just how computers work

as I have been digging around I learned about Tor, and it sounds like a great idea, apart form all the *stuff*, basically limiting how far down the rabbit hole you go has been the no 1 rule i've got from dark net stories etc

so I guess my question is is Tor Illegal to use in the UK? moreover, seeing as I don't own my own internet access (hooray for living with parents) would it get them into a spot of bother with the law?

also what's the best (most relevant or easiest to learn) language for me to take a whack at? I've narrowed it down to Java or Python, but heck you lot know far more about this stuff than me

Cheers!
Acsel gives good advice ^^^

inevitably if you start poking around with TOR you will come across illegal stuff... it is like a lucky dip where you can end in jail by opening the wrong parcel.*
the FBI have set up various honeypot TOR sites to entice the curious young browser...*
Original post by Dr_Sir
Hi All!

Despite growing up with computers basically all my life, I realised that I know literally bugger all about how they actually work.

I have a gap year so instead of indulging in the steam summer sale I thought I'd try to learn a programming language (at least the basics) and just how computers work

as I have been digging around I learned about Tor, and it sounds like a great idea, apart form all the *stuff*, basically limiting how far down the rabbit hole you go has been the no 1 rule i've got from dark net stories etc

so I guess my question is is Tor Illegal to use in the UK? moreover, seeing as I don't own my own internet access (hooray for living with parents) would it get them into a spot of bother with the law?

also what's the best (most relevant or easiest to learn) language for me to take a whack at? I've narrowed it down to Java or Python, but heck you lot know far more about this stuff than me

Cheers!

Hiya

I use Tor quite a bit of the time and it's not illegal to use. It basically depends on how you use the Tor Browser.

If you use the Tor browser for legitimate things, then you're going to be fine. It's only illegal to use when you actually start doing illegal things.

I've not used Java or Python before, so wouldn't know on that matter.
>Use Tails.
>Delete JavaScript on your PC to avoid tracking.
>Use the hidden wiki to access (obviously avoid cp, hc and drug links). Don't click on any unlabelled links.
>etc.

>Watch mutahar so you can see somebody else navigating safely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending