The Student Room Group

Failed final year due to portfolio

Hi all
I failed my final year at Manchester because of an unsatisfactory portfolio. This was my 2nd attempt at the year, so I was told I have to withdraw from the course. I have been working towards becoming a doctor for 7 years now, and to be told that all that effort was wasted is pretty devastating. I actually got honours on the written paper and a reasonably high pass on the OSCE, but since it's my 2nd attempt at the final year I don't have any chance for remediation. I'm submitting an appeal, but I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do if it's unsuccessful.

One option I had considered was either a graduate entry nursing or physician associate program. I have a 2.2 BSc in Medicine from St Andrews, which I hope should be good enough for the entry requirements. The problem is that I am a dual US/UK citizen but I lived in the US prior to starting my course, so I count as an international student for fees purposes. That means I'm ineligible for any of the nursing or PA programs which receive NHS bursaries (including the ones at Manchester, so I won't be able to transfer). I have also heard that nursing programs really dislike accepting failed medical students

I did some research about going to one of the medical schools in Europe, but it doesn't look very feasible. I would have to learn a new language within the next year if I wanted to pass the clinical rotations, and it seems as though it is fairly difficult to come back for doctors who qualified abroad. If I wanted to work in the UK I would have to apply for an F2 training post, and there are considerably more applicants than vacancies. I expect it might get even more complicated following the EU referendum. To get a residency in the US I would have to ace the USMLE, and even then my chances aren't great given the fact that I failed my course at Manchester. This is all assuming I could even get accepted into one of the Czech/Romanian/Polish medical schools, and I am not certain I could.

I do have the option of transferring to another course at Manchester or pursuing a Masters, but I have no idea what I would do. None of the options there appeal to me.

I also don't know if there are any jobs I would be able to get with just my degree from St Andrews.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hey. I am only a first year Graduate entry student but if I was in your position and in the final year, I would be fighting hell and high water to stay there. My advice would be get as many people at the SU on your side as you can and get as much advice about putting together an extensive appeal.*

I would also look at getting a solicitor involved. Have meetings with the tutors and the head of the school and just explain everything. This can be overturned, so carry on fighting it.

Good luck!*
Reply 2
Im graduating from Manchester this year and a friend of mine also failed 5th year based on portfolio. Have to say I feel for you buddy! Portfolio is such a bag of *******s half the time. My best advice would be to get as many doctors/lecturers to vouch for you as possible, and fight tooth and nail to get a final shot. If you can get a team of doctors and professors willing to write you a recommendation they are more likely to look at your appeal favourably. I heard of someone in our year who failed multiple times on earlier years in the course and they were ultimately allowed to continue. The fact that you are paying international student fees will stand in your favour as well I reckon, given that (as much as it shouldnt) they will love to take another year of your cash. Do you have any mitigation? Have you considered all of the masters programmes that are allied to medicine if your appeal isnt successful? The MPH is an option, has a great reputation, and would be significantly cheaper than another year of medicine I imagine! Depends if you can see yourself working in public health though I guess
Reply 3
Thanks guys. I spoke with a lawyer a week ago, and she was reasonably optimistic about my chances of a successful appeal. I just want to be prepared for the worst and have some options lined up in case it all falls through.

I thought doing a degree in public health, but it looks as though most of the career paths are either administrative or academic. I would much rather be doing hands-on practical work.
Reply 4
To be fair, if you passed all your written exams, your OSCEs, the SJT, the prescribing exams, all you UPSAs, UCEXs, UCMDs, clinical placements etc there's a bloody good argument to say that you will make a perfectly competent doctor! I think you will probably be okay on appeal to be honest. Just make sure you do a bit of portfolio every week RELIGIOUSLY this time!
Sorry to hear that.

I agree with the suggestion that you should do whatever you can to complete the programme. This includes adding more pressure on the academic staff. If you have any extenuating circumstances, please don't be afraid to use it. Think very deep about your personal life and see whether there is anything that can help you.

From what I have heard, it is not a bed of roses to study Medicine outside the UK and return because of the transfer programmes that you would be required to take on your return. Also, Manchester is a top University and a Medical Degree from there will help you in the long term (I think)

If everything fails to work, my suggestion is to use your "transfer to another course in Manchester" card to do something else that may be interesting to you. For example, courses like Medical Biology (if they have such a course) may be decent. You may not need to focus squarely on going down the clinical route.

Finally, if it is indeed a fact that you are not suited for a medical career based on you failing the course. Then, you may have to look at other options. It is in your best interest and the interests of other people (e.g. your future patients) for you to leave the medical profession rather than potentially causing harm by giving bad medical advice. This will not only cause you significant issues but you can go to jail for medical malpractice.

On the other hand, if it just a personal issue that impeded you, then my suggestion is to fight as hard as you can to get another chance. if it means repeating that year.

Good luck.
I have to ask; in years 1 and 2 you get PPD tutors right? I'm not sure how it works from Year 3, but was wondering if there was something similar in place. If so; did they highlight any issues with your portfolio to you? Like what it was lacking or anything along those lines?

What exactly about the portfolio did you fail on? Not having sufficient entries or ...?
Reply 7
Original post by ameelia22
I have to ask; in years 1 and 2 you get PPD tutors right? I'm not sure how it works from Year 3, but was wondering if there was something similar in place. If so; did they highlight any issues with your portfolio to you? Like what it was lacking or anything along those lines?

What exactly about the portfolio did you fail on? Not having sufficient entries or ...?

This is not my thread but I thought I would answer this from my angle! Portfolio in years 1 and 2 is not even slightly similar to clinical years. There is a lot more that has to be signed off, reflected on, proven etc. I barely thought about my portfolio in 1st and 2nd year, but that changes in clinicals. Its a chain around your neck! Of course you get a tutor, but it is much more involved. Much easier to go off track when you have so much else to concentrate on
(edited 7 years ago)
Did you have a satisfactory portfolio the first time you failed the year?

If you failed on exams the first time but had an acceptable portfolio, surely you should have quite a strong case that the second time round is a different circumstance, and that you are clearly capable of producing an alright portfolio. The portfolio competencies hardly change year by year. IMO they should give you an opportunity to make up the rest of your portfolio.

Portfolios are largely just a load of pointless tick boxes anyway - and most tragically for you, a load of fairly easy tickboxes, requiring nothing but graft to get them ticked, that you're be mad not to make sure you nailed! Especially if you had already failed once and knew what was at stake. In any case, there's nothing you can do about it now and my heart goes out to you because if it were me, I'd be kicking myself. Over and over! What a way to go. :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zakadoh
This is not my thread but I thought I would answer this from my angle! Portfolio in years 1 and 2 is not even slightly similar to clinical years. There is a lot more that has to be signed off, reflected on, proven etc. I barely thought about my portfolio in 1st and 2nd year, but that changes in clinicals. Its a chain around your neck! Of course you get a tutor, but it is much more involved. Much easier to go off track when you have so much else to concentrate on

Ah I see! Not sure about anything year 3 onwards so thank you for clearing this up a little!
Ah I see! Not sure about anything year 3 onwards so thank you for clearing this up a little!

lol. No worries, you have all this to look forward to! A good friend of mine has to resit 5th year because of his portfolio. He did all 35 skill competencies, all his case management discussions all his observed examinations, all his reflections (of which there are dozens!), his prescribing log was grand, but they werent happy with his patient log. 1 piece out of a 3 year piece of work! and he failed. Portfolio is a **** after 2nd year, and for the rest of your career!
Original post by Zakadoh
lol. No worries, you have all this to look forward to! A good friend of mine has to resit 5th year because of his portfolio. He did all 35 skill competencies, all his case management discussions all his observed examinations, all his reflections (of which there are dozens!), his prescribing log was grand, but they werent happy with his patient log. 1 piece out of a 3 year piece of work! and he failed. Portfolio is a **** after 2nd year, and for the rest of your career!

oh. my. god.

I think this has scared me enough to even schedule in some portfolio time every week...

EDIT: Also i've found the patient log in years 1 and 2 to be ********. What do they want me to do besides make up patients I have seen?!
oh. my. god.

I think this has scared me enough to even schedule in some portfolio time every week...

EDIT: Also i've found the patient log in years 1 and 2 to be ********. What do they want me to do besides make up patients I have seen?!

Haha! My friend is such a competent guy as well. He will make a perfectly competent F1. Dont underestimate the portfolio! I dont know which medical school you are at, but the lead of portfolio at my school was an angry ninja that was looking to take people down! Its doable, but it really does take a hell of a lot, muuuuuuuch more, effort than you will have given it in 2nd year

EDIT: saw your edit! They will tell you what they expect, but the patient log morphs into a massive diary of hundreds of patients you have seen. You need to keep track of all their relevant case information, the patients prespectives, your growth as a doctor based on it, and how it will improve your practice as a doctor. they each need an action plan as well that you have to complete and then return to later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zakadoh
Haha! My friend is such a competent guy as well. He will make a perfectly competent F1. Dont underestimate the portfolio! I dont know which medical school you are at, but the lead of portfolio at my school was an angry ninja that was looking to take people down! Its doable, but it really does take a hell of a lot, muuuuuuuch more, effort than you will have given it in 2nd year

Yea Isobel don't take no sh*t
Yea Isobel don't take no sh*t

Youre Manchester?! lol. Which hospital you assigned?
Reply 15
I failed my previous attempt at 5th year due to the portfolio as well. I'll admit that it was completely my fault last year; I had left it all until the last minute and didn't manage to get it done in time. This year I was much more diligent; I was doing about 45 minutes every day. My patient log just from this year ended up being more than 24k words. I had everything uploaded and met all of the tick-box requirements. They said my reflections were too superficial, my action plans were either too vague or unrealistic, and there was not enough concrete evidence of having met my action plans.

If it had been my personal portfolio supervisor signing it off I'm certain it would have been fine, but people who are resitting the year get their reviews done by the central Manchester team instead. They are considerably more strict down there. For example, I had listed reviewing the Mental Health Act as a learning objective. Their suggested way of listing evidence of meeting the learning objective was to have a consultant spend about 10 minutes quizzing me on it and then sign off on a piece of paper saying they were happy with my knowledge on the subject. Considering how I was uploading an average of at least 3-4 learning objectives each day I have no idea how I could have managed this without making the consultants absolutely hate me.
Original post by Nessmuk
I failed my previous attempt at 5th year due to the portfolio as well. I'll admit that it was completely my fault last year; I had left it all until the last minute and didn't manage to get it done in time. This year I was much more diligent; I was doing about 45 minutes every day. My patient log just from this year ended up being more than 24k words. I had everything uploaded and met all of the tick-box requirements. They said my reflections were too superficial, my action plans were either too vague or unrealistic, and there was not enough concrete evidence of having met my action plans.

If it had been my personal portfolio supervisor signing it off I'm certain it would have been fine, but people who are resitting the year get their reviews done by the central Manchester team instead. They are considerably more strict down there. For example, I had listed reviewing the Mental Health Act as a learning objective. Their suggested way of listing evidence of meeting the learning objective was to have a consultant spend about 10 minutes quizzing me on it and then sign off on a piece of paper saying they were happy with my knowledge on the subject. Considering how I was uploading an average of at least 3-4 learning objectives each day I have no idea how I could have managed this without making the consultants absolutely hate me.

Like I said before buddy I sympathise! Its bad enough as a fifth year, but I know they go up a gear for those who have failed before. I suggest you change academic adviser this time. Obviously your last guy now has run his course if he couldnt get you there and chose you to not pass you. Honestly, for me, the relationship with your supervisor really helps. Mine was a legend and I know he would never have failed me if he could help it. Change yours and get everything as best you can for your first review, if you get on with them they will tell you everything they want for your exit interview. At the end of the day they are the person you have to satisfy. Do you have any senior doctors at your hospital that would take you that you trust?

EDIT: do you even have the choice now or are you straight to Braidman?
(edited 7 years ago)
The entire concept of failing because of a portfolio is completely alien to me. Even the foundation doctor's ones are, whilst very very annoying and time-consuming, actually very superficial.

All I can contribute is to add to those saying you need to fight this using everything you have. Its the difference between becoming a doctor and having paid >£200,000 (I'm guessing) for a 2.2 BSc.
Reply 18
I don't blame my supervisor for failing me last year; I'll admit that my portfolio at the time was pretty abysmal. For people repeating the year the supervisor isn't the person grading it. We have to have it approved by someone at the top, so either Braidman or the portfolio lead from one of the other hospitals. It also has to be someone who doesn't know you personally, so it can't be the portfolio lead for your own base hospital, either.
I really do take umbridge with people down grading portfolio! I passed, and it took a continuous amount of effort and **** loads of my time! different unis obviously do this differently

Latest

Trending

Trending