Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but I thought it would be worth a try!
    I have just finished my second year at university, and by the end of my first year a lot of things were happening in my home life which caused me to start getting depressed. By the middle of my second year I was lower than low and it was at the point where I could not even get out of bed to make myself some food I would just starve for days. And basically my brain was just not able to pick me up again or do anything for me, so when it came to writing any assignment after the middle of second year, most of them ended up unfinished or simply not to a good enough standard meaning I would have to re-do them in reassessment week which started on the 1st of July and finishes tomorrow. I had four assignments to do in the space of a week.

about a month ago my mother suggested to me that I make an appointment with someone at uni and see if I can have some time off basically and go back to it maybe in a year or so and start year three then rather than this September coming. This was such a good idea to me because firstly I wasn't aware you could do that and secondly I was so happy to be given the chance to do this degree and it does mean so much to me, so its really hard to accept the fact that I'm ruining it for myself by not being able to perform well. Also I'm spending so much money on something that I am just throwing away. So I would love to have a year to be able to get myself back to normal and back to being able to do this degree because if I'm going to do it I want to be able to put my all into it and right now I really can't.

so I booked an appointment with someone to talk about it and I hope I will get the answer I am wishing for.

Back to the main reason I'm writing this though, I have spend the entire week staring at my laptop screen trying to write something and trying to focus but focussing just seems to be impossible and it is so frustrating because I know that if I want to come back in a year and start third year fresh then I need to get these reassessments done so that they are over and done with.
    However it is the day before they are all due (3 of them are around 2500 words each and 1 is a presentation) and as I said all I've managed to write in a week is a small paragraph. And even that is just a thesis. I have tried everything I can think of to get my brain to focus and it is really not happening.

If you fail to complete a module by not submitting all of the assignments needed, you have to re-take the module in your next year. Making the work load a lot more full on. My assignments that I am re taking are all from different modules.

So I was wondering does anyone know by any chance, if I am allowed to postpone starting year three, is it likely that the university will let me re-take these modules that I have failed, in year three (Even if I pay for them again)? or is it at all likely that a university would let me start again from half way through year two do you think? its all such a big screw up I know!
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by meganu1)
    I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but I thought it would be worth a try!
    I have just finished my second year at university, and by the end of my first year a lot of things were happening in my home life which caused me to start getting depressed. By the middle of my second year I was lower than low and it was at the point where I could not even get out of bed to make myself some food I would just starve for days. And basically my brain was just not able to pick me up again or do anything for me, so when it came to writing any assignment after the middle of second year, most of them ended up unfinished or simply not to a good enough standard meaning I would have to re-do them in reassessment week which started on the 1st of July and finishes tomorrow. I had four assignments to do in the space of a week.

about a month ago my mother suggested to me that I make an appointment with someone at uni and see if I can have some time off basically and go back to it maybe in a year or so and start year three then rather than this September coming. This was such a good idea to me because firstly I wasn't aware you could do that and secondly I was so happy to be given the chance to do this degree and it does mean so much to me, so its really hard to accept the fact that I'm ruining it for myself by not being able to perform well. Also I'm spending so much money on something that I am just throwing away. So I would love to have a year to be able to get myself back to normal and back to being able to do this degree because if I'm going to do it I want to be able to put my all into it and right now I really can't.

so I booked an appointment with someone to talk about it and I hope I will get the answer I am wishing for.

Back to the main reason I'm writing this though, I have spend the entire week staring at my laptop screen trying to write something and trying to focus but focussing just seems to be impossible and it is so frustrating because I know that if I want to come back in a year and start third year fresh then I need to get these reassessments done so that they are over and done with.
    However it is the day before they are all due (3 of them are around 2500 words each and 1 is a presentation) and as I said all I've managed to write in a week is a small paragraph. And even that is just a thesis. I have tried everything I can think of to get my brain to focus and it is really not happening.

If you fail to complete a module by not submitting all of the assignments needed, you have to re-take the module in your next year. Making the work load a lot more full on. My assignments that I am re taking are all from different modules.

So I was wondering does anyone know by any chance, if I am allowed to postpone starting year three, is it likely that the university will let me re-take these modules that I have failed, in year three (Even if I pay for them again)? or is it at all likely that a university would let me start again from half way through year two do you think? its all such a big screw up I know!
    It varies for each uni,I d think you d have to sit the year 2 modules next year and then go into year 3, I don't think you could do the resits and year 3 at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganu1)

You should talk to your personal tutor/academic advisor about this, they will know the regulations specific to your university. At my university, my best friend was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, he had trouble getting out of bed etc and they allowed him to retake his entire second year since he had failed several modules. That might be the best option for you to be able to have a chance at a good degree classification. My information might be out of date as I graduated a couple of years ago, but Student Finance England used to finance one additional year for your BA, if you had to retake.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.